Water Heater only gets luke warm with Electric, but very hot with propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater only gets luke warm with Electric, but very hot with propane

Wondering if this is normal and expected. It's almost impossible to take a shower with just electric water heater, we always have to turn on propane. If not normal, how do we adjust?

Originally posted by Slakso View Post
    Wondering if this is normal and expected. It's almost impossible to take a shower with just electric water heater, we always have to turn on propane. If not normal, how do we adjust?
    I was told that the water heater recovery time is much less on propane, and that if you have a longer shower you should turn on propane. For myself, if I do anything before having a shower with hot water (think washing hands, dishes, etc.), or if anyone else wants to have a shower near the same time as myself, propane goes on.

For yourself, is it just a case of not enough recovery time when on electric?
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Welcome to Grand Design's technical forum Slasko.

Over the years, I've used our water heater on both propane and electric heating. I've never noticed a difference between the two when it comes to water temperature. But there is a very significant difference on how long it takes to heat up. BTW, did you know it's permissible to run gas and electric heating at the same time in order to improve heating and recovery time?

Jim

P.S. since you're a new forum member, I'm attaching a to our welcome letter which gives some great tips on how to navigate the forum.
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Slakso View Post
        I would say this is not normal. I’m sitting in a full hookup site running my water heater on electric only and it’ll scald you out if you don’t mix in cold water. I’d say there’s something wrong with yours. What is your make and model of water heater? How old? If it’s in warranty I’d start with your dealer.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I’d suggest taking a thermometer and checking the output temp of the water under both. They should be about the same. There is a thermostat that turns the water heater off and on at a given temp. I think it is the same temp, regardless of the heating source. If you have the same temp on both heat sources, it’s probably working correctly, but they are usually a relatively small tank. You might be running through all of the hot in the tank before it has a chance to recover on electric.
          Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
          Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
          2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
          Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
          Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
          X