Haier Refrigerator Install in a 2019 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haier Refrigerator Install in a 2019 315RLTS

Update (22 May 21): Don't miss post #72 where I document a fix to a power oversight during the initial installation. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...4648#post54648

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another project started. So far all I've done is get the refrigerator delivered (no damage--yea!) and fired it up to ensure it works. Much more to come over the next several weeks(?) as I figure out how to swap it with the Dometic in the camper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Haier.JPG Views:	73 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	30754
    So far the DW is delighted with the interior setup/configuration of the refrigerator.

The 'frig is in our sunroom right now, so while not a "real" test the results from the first cooldown are impressive. (Note I used the same methodology I've used previously, meaning 8 pre-cooled 12 oz drinks in the refrigerator section and two ice packs in the freezer section.) The Elitech sensor shows the internal temp started at 77.1 at 8:08 PM and was at 39.9 by 10:04 PM! Less than two hours! This was using the "Quick Cool" setting. The Kill-A-Watt showed the Haier was pulling a mere 1.07A (85 watts) from the wall. Amazing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	85watts.JPG Views:	37 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	30755

The temp setting on the appliance was 37, but there seemed to be a fairly regular temp swing as the 'frig cycled as you can see in the graph below. Probably didn't help that it was practically empty. I'm going to lower the temp to 35 and with it "stocked for camping" will do another test. The graph from the first run has a black line for temp (with scale on left) and green line for humidity (with scale on the right).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Temp Swings.JPG Views:	37 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	30756

Much more info to come in this thread as I work my way through this project. As always your questions, suggestions, comments or constructive criticisms are welcome.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 05-22-2021, 01:27 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Nice info, Howard. I have to ask, though - what does "INW" stand for? It's not in my medical or military lexicons and Google wasn't helpful...

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
      Nice info, Howard. I have to ask, though - what does "INW" stand for? It's not in my medical or military lexicons and Google wasn't helpful...

Rob
      "In Work".

Edit--changed title. "INW" is a standard acronym in USAF maintenance...sorry for the confusion!
      Last edited by howson; 09-28-2020, 08:44 PM.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I know we're going off topic, but we used "WIP" in the missile business. Work In Progress...

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Howard, I am interested in your project because I am looking at the same installation in my Reflection 337RL. The Harier unit has a height of 70.5” and it appears the cabinet opening is 71.5” with the face frame cut out. My question for you is have you pulled the old refrigerator out and do you know what the usable space of the cabinet is? I would be very interested in your progress and any specifics you can provide

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            Hi Howard, I am interested in your project because I am looking at the same installation in my Reflection 337RL. The Harier unit has a height of 70.5” and it appears the cabinet opening is 71.5” with the face frame cut out. My question for you is have you pulled the old refrigerator out and do you know what the usable space of the cabinet is? I would be very interested in your progress and any specifics you can provide

Richard
            Welcome to the forum, Richard.

DAY 1 (Morning)

Believe it or not the Dometic came out just this morning. I took advantage of my son-in-law and grandson visiting to wrestle it out of the camper. A couple of thoughts/notes while I remember them.
            • Doors had to come off.
            • I unscrewed the top display board and taped it to the top of the frig.
            • With the doors off and display flipped out of the way we were able to slide the refrigerator across the floor (on a piece of rug that didn't grip) and get it out the door (without any room to spare!) without damaging the camper or refrigerator.
            • Since I wasn't ready to install the new refrigerator I taped up the vents using Reflectix insulation.
            The inside of the cabinet is ~36". From the slide floor to the cabinet interior it's ~71". All of the outside trim will have to come off. Ironically, the cabinet is built very well with pocket screws and glue so it will be "fun" taking it apart.

A couple of pictures are below.

Pic 1: Refrigerator out. Top vent and insulation still in place. (Both were subsequently removed.) The extra fans were installed by me (and were also removed). The screening you may see on the Dometic vent covers were also installed by me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Refrig 1.JPG Views:	26 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	31953

Pic 2: Insulation out. The wood on the side is for the cabinets and countertop so they will stay in place (also protects the electrical outlets). From the wood to the inside of the other side is ~36". (Gonna be tight!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Refrig 2a.JPG Views:	25 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	31954

Pic 3: Vents temporarily insulated from the outside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Refrig 2.JPG Views:	25 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	31955

I'll update this thread as more progress is made.

Howard
            Last edited by howson; 10-14-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Howard. The project looks pretty straight forward. Have you discovered what is below the plywood panel at the bottom, if anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                Thanks, Howard. The project looks pretty straight forward. Have you discovered what is below the plywood panel at the bottom, if anything?
                No, not yet. Demolition of that area is on the agenda for tomorrow.

Day 1 (Afternoon)

Got the Haier in the trailer this afternoon. Took two men, a woman and a boy (literally) to get it up and in. The threshold had to come off for it to physically fit through the doorway (I didn't want to take the doorframe out!). The threshold is held in with screws from the side. The interior side screws are accessible behind the wood trim around the door, but the forward (outside) screws I could not figure out how to get to. Thankfully(?) the rear facing side didn't have a screw on the outside edge. On the forward facing side I had to oil-can the threshold until the screw pulled through the thin sheet metal. The interior side screws went back in easy enough, but now the front edge of the threshold doesn't sit flush with the outside of the camper. So I get to figure that out. The pics below attempt to show all of this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Threshold.JPG Views:	25 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	31982
                Unfortunately now I have another project to fix the gap in the threshold since I can't reinstall the outward-edge screw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Threshold 2.JPG Views:	23 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	31983
                All the doors and feet had to come off the Haier. Not terribly hard but a nuisance. There are easy disconnects for the electrical parts and the hinges are held on by easily identifiable bolts.

But at least it's physically inside the camper! No way I could have done this without the extra hands. (We lifted the refrigerator up, with the steps retracted, into the camper through the front door.) The bottom hinges (that are installed in this picture) were off when we got it through the door. Unfortunately Haier put the hinge and front rollers on the same piece of metal (dumb!).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201013_155057 (Large).jpg Views:	23 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	31984

More as I continue on. Hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew with this project.

Howard

Last edited by howson; 10-14-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Looking great! I was shocked how light the RV fridge was, especially compared to the Samsung I installed. Same thing, I had to remove pretty much everything I could from the new one, doors hinges etc. Was too tall, so I had to go in with the top first and then dead lift it straight up to the floor of the rig. Took four people like you say.

I am sure you will love it, its one of the best upgrades I have made. We just got back from a three week trip with myself, my wife and son, and my two in laws. We filled the fridge at home and except produce had enough in the freezer for the three weeks. It is great to be able to haul that much food. Not to mention the confidence in the fridge to put that much food in it and not be afraid of losing it.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks again for keeping us informed as you move forward with this project. I am out for a little getaway before the holidays but intend to start on this upgrade when we return home. Keep it coming.

Comment

Day 2 (Post 1 of 4)

First question for the smart propane folks: the propane lines behind the Dometic refrigerator came together at a "T" connector. The top line fed the Dometic.

I replaced the "T" with a male-to-male connector. I did not use any tape on the threads (I seem to remember Cate&Rob saying not to on this type of thread...hope I remembered right!). I secured the propane line to the back wall with the OEM clamps that were already provided.

Any issues with the connector I used?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Propane.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	32061

Click image for larger version  Name:	male adapter.JPG Views:	0 Size:	27.1 KB ID:	32062
                      Last edited by howson; 10-14-2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Day 2 (Post 2 of 4) Demolition and First Install

Let's skip right to the end of the today's story: it fits perfectly and looks great! (Remember as you look at these pics that the project is not complete.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	First Install.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	32064

Click image for larger version  Name:	First Install 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	32065

No clearance issues with the slide in and the right side doors are 100% accessible (top is 1/2 of the refrigerator, bottom is 1/2 of the freezer).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide in.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	32066

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide in 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	32067

None of the shelves, drawers or anything else is in when this picture was taken. (All the accessories installed easily with the refrigerator in place.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide in 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	32068
                        Last edited by howson; 10-14-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          Day 2 (Post 1 of ?)
                          Any issues with the connector I used?
                          Looks perfect. No sealer or tape needed with that kind of connector.
                          Last edited by howson; 10-14-2020, 08:19 PM. Reason: Removed pics in quote to make thread easier to read.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                            Day 2 (Post 2 of ?) Demolition and First Install
                            Excellent! Looks like a great fit! Have you run out at all yet? I’m curious how the draw is.
                            Last edited by howson; 10-14-2020, 08:18 PM. Reason: Removed pics in quote (to make thread easier to read).

Neil Citro

Comment

Day 2 (Post 3 of 4) Demolition and Install Notes

Demolition is a fairly self-evident process. There are lots of Robertson screws so find and remove them or you'll really tear things up. An automotive panel removal tool worked great to separate the wood from the putty without tearing up the wall in the process.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Demolition 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	32073

The answer to the question, "What's under the floor?" is "nothing". I did find another entry point for insects and critters, though (thought I'd sealed all of them up). I took care of this one before installing the refrigerator. (The hole is where the gas line enters the slideout.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Demolition 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	32074
                              Here's the space completely demo'd, cleaned, and (almost) ready for the refrigerator. You may note the propane lines are still disconnected and the 12v power line is draped on the floor. I capped off the 12v wires and wrapped them in tape, then stuffed them through a hole on the back left side of the opening. I tried removing the fuse for the refrigerator but found the light over the dining table doesn't work with it out...so the line will have to stay "live".

Click image for larger version  Name:	Demo 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	32075

Click image for larger version  Name:	12v line.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	32076

I repurposed the gas line guide (you can see it sticking through the floor is the "nothing" picture) by cutting it down and installing it in the hole. I then sealed the hole with silicone--no more bugs getting in that way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sealed.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	32077
                              Last edited by howson; 10-15-2020, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X