No announcement yet.

Haier Refrigerator Install in a 2019 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howson Sorry to hear that this did not work out so well for you. Seems like the slideout slickers is really the only way to go. I agree with Cate&Rob about the floor flexibility. I can see the table and chairs move around when I move my dining slide in and out and that is not nearly as much weight as you have on yours with the fridge.

Thanks for the awesome documenting that you have done on this. If I ever need to replace the fridge I will remember this and either go with the same dometic type that is in right now or as you said go with a 12V compressor fridge like Dometic and Norcold now make.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      howsonDid the plywood reinforcement stay tight to the original slide floor and bow to follow the “smile” . . .
      Yes, the wood stayed tight. I went overboard to ensure the wood pieces were secured together. No way that was separating!

If the new piece of wood (and slide floor) was bending due to the weight of the refrigerator where it sits on the wood there's be a "frown" instead of a "smile". The "smile" is, I think, a result of the overall weakness in the slide floor and the lack of support underneath.

The box frame shelf that supported the Dometic did a good job of distributing the Dometic's weight across a wider area. The Haier does not have this benefit, so even though it is the same component weight it is pushing down on a smaller load bearing area. (I don't know if that makes sense.) The contact points (support) for the forward edge of slide floor are rollers I previously mentioned. You can see the roller near the hutch in the picture below. The next roller is in front of the stove. If I had one or two more of these rollers under the Haier there'd be no issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	roller.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.7 KB ID:	33587
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard

Over extending the slide is not that big of a deal. You have a concrete driveway. Build a couple supports for the slide and then remove the inside trim and slide the slide out onto the supports. This is how RV shops do it so if they can you can too. With the slide out of the way you can add as many rollers as you need.

Just trying to help you with some more projects , if you needed one more to do right.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Howard

Over extending the slide is not that big of a deal. You have a concrete driveway. Build a couple supports for the slide and then remove the inside trim and slide the slide out onto the supports. This is how RV shops do it so if they can you can too. With the slide out of the way you can add as many rollers as you need.

Just trying to help you with some more projects , if you needed one more to do right.

Brian
          Shoot--and here I thought I was gonna get an invitation to come up to your place to knock this out.

You know better than to invite me. I'd probably show up.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Shoot--and here I thought I was gonna get an invitation to come up to your place to knock this out.

I have no idea how to do this, but have a shop with a forklift. Come on out lol.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You are always welcome here.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A follow-up after using the refrigerator while camping: the DW loves her new refrigerator.

The problem with the doors opening due to items shifting inside was solved with the addition of playing "Tetris" with the contents and using expansion rods to hold everything in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Expansion Rods.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	36301

Still have a few cleanup items to accomplish, so expect at least one more post in the future with updates.

Howard

Comment

Haier also makes excellent de-humidifiers, for those in high humidity storage environments. They will automatically cycle on after a power outage.

Jim

Comment

Using what she learned from her stain experiment, the DW finished up the refrigerator install by staining and tacking up trim. Looks great, if I say so myself!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trim 3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	38135

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trim1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	38134

I still need to figure out an alternative to the dual-lock "velcro" to keep the doors closed when traveling...

Comment

I was encouraged by your project and ultimately installed a Samsung RF-18 in my 337 RLTS along with a 1200 watt Xantrex invertor with auto switch over. The system works beautifully. With the slide fully closed the right hand door of fridge is completely unobstructed and there is about 5" of clearance between the left door and the island. BTW, there is a company that makes a nifty transit lock for the RF-18. The stainless line behind
                      d
                      the fridge is for the ice maker. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0337.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	52736

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        I was encouraged by your project and ultimately installed a Samsung RF-18 in my 337 RLTS along with a 1200 watt Xantrex invertor with auto switch over. The system works beautifully.
                        You made my evening with your post. So glad a thread has helped, if even just to inspire.

I can't express how much of a positive difference the residential refrigerator has made to glamping in my 315RLTS. No more worries about spoiled food or unfrozen ice cream. The DW has a lot of space to store munchies...and 12oz bottles of golden brown campfire goodness.

Howard

Comment

UPDATE 22 MAY

A mistake I made during the install of the Haier was assuming it had an On/Off switch. It doesn't. That meant to turn it off (when home) the options were to unplug (not easy as the plug is in the back) or throw the breaker. The problem with throwing the breaker is that a lot of the other outlets in the living area (circuit 4) don't work as they are all on the same circuit.

The purpose for this post is to get someone considering upgrading to a residential to ensure they won't run into this issue, and if they do show how to overcome it.

WHY NOT A WIRELESS (RELAY DRIVEN) OUTLET?
                          I tried various wireless outlet solutions but gave up--too many issues. The worst being the relay defaults to "OFF" when power cycles. Unacceptable.

SOLUTION
                          The solution was to add a switch to control the outlet powering the refrigerator.

Below is how the circuit was initially configured. Fortunately the wire terminated at the outlet near the stove, so this made the modification easy to wire.

Name:	Outlets at Start.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	54649

Below is how the new circuit is wired.

Name:	New Outlet and Switch.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	54650

The modification required temporary removal of the microwave to allow the installation of the new switch next to the microwave's outlet. This is an easy to reach location but it is not in the way (or obvious). The shallow work box was the only option with the standard household switch installed since the refrigerator is right on the other side of the wall. (A standard work box would not fit.)

Name:	20210521_161355 (Large).jpg
Views:	338
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	54651

The only hard part to the project was securing those shallow work boxes. There should be backer wood strips behind the box to help secure it in place. The switch doesn't require much to keep it in place, but the new outlet installed in place of the original RV outlet (near the stove which is below what you see in the picture above) was a pain to secure. I adapted the "wings" from a larger standard box to work with the shallow box and eventually got it to hold securely. (The DW uses this outlet a lot.) I may have said a few not-allowed-on-the-forum words while securing that lower shallow box. There are probably a dozen other ways to secure this shallow box but I used what I had on hand.

Below is the finished project. The switch is down (Off) so the frig is off, but all the rest of circuit 4 is powered in the trailer. If I had thought about the On/Off requirement before installing the refrigerator this additional modification wouldn't have been much of a nuisance, but after the fact is another story. (I did not want to remove the refrigerator to accomplish this task!)

Name:	Finished with Words.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	54652

Howard

Comment

Well done Howard! I went with the much less elegant solution of running an extension cord up the side of the fridge so I could reach it to unplug it lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

You can’t see it here but it’s under that stool and broom.

Name:	2F398904-C027-464F-8EE7-9B01FA84E0D1.jpeg
Views:	467
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	54680

Neil Citro

Comment

howson Howard, Could you have built a pair of brackets that went from the top and bottom hinges to the walls to secure the fridge in place?
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X