Norcold 2118 Fridge Blowing Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 2118 Fridge Blowing Fuse

Just a heads up - I've seen this in the past working on rigs but now I have the problem on my own unit. The 12 VDC blade fuse on the circuit board has blown twice. This cuts all 12 VDC to the fridge thus shutting it off. The problem lies with the external fans on the back. When they go to start one of the the three pulls too high of a load and blows the fuse. Unfortunately for me the fans are wired as one so they all three need to be changed. This failure comes and goes and does not always occur each time the fans start - sometimes you can for a week or more without an issue then other times within minutes it blows.

Yes - my fridge is under warranty but being a old retired RV tech and the long wait at dealerships, I plan to replace them myself. It's not an easy task considering the fans are about half up on the rear, so the fridge needs to be at least pushed out. If your fridge is on a slide, thus has the two outside vent covers (rather than venting through the roof), sometimes you don't need to completely remove the fridge to replace these.

I have not changed mine yet, waiting on the fans - will update if I find anything interesting during the replacement process.

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...
    Retired RV Tech

On my previous RV, I ran wiring from each fan down to the bottom of the unit and fused the fans separately from the control board. If I had to go to the bother of moving the fridge out to replace the fans, I would definitely fuse them individually so one bad fan doesn't ruin your day.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
    X