Refrigerator not working on propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator not working on propane

We own an Imagine trailer 3100RD, and it is a 2021 model. We have a domestic refrigerator and does not work on propane. We switch it, and it will make a clicking sound, and then it starts peeping. Does anybody know how to fix it?

Originally posted by jchavez220 View Post
    We own an Imagine trailer 3100RD, and it is a 2021 model. We have a domestic refrigerator and does not work on propane. We switch it, and it will make a clicking sound, and then it starts peeping. Does anybody know how to fix it?
    Welcome to the forum.

Quite often, this is due to air in the LP gas line that has to be bled off before the gas will ignite. Try following these steps first:

1. Make sure the propane tank has gas and the valve is open.
    2. Light all the burners on your stove and make sure they have a large bright flame. If not, you have a propane delivery problem.
    3. Turn on the refrigerator with the gas setting. If if doesn't light, turn it off and repeat. You may have to do this 5-6 times to bleed the air out of the gas lines.
    4. Once the refrigerator ignites, observe the flames on the stove burners. If they are still burning well, shut off the stove. If not, you need to check the propane system.

Please let us know if this works for you. If not, we can start walking you through trouble-shooting.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Welcome to the forum.

Quite often, this is due to air in the LP gas line that has to be bled off before the gas will ignite. Try following these steps first:

2. Light all the burners on your stove and make sure they have a large bright flame. If not, you have a propane delivery problem.
      3. Turn on the refrigerator with the gas setting. If if doesn't light, turn it off and repeat. You may have to do this 5-6 times to bleed the air out of the gas lines.
      4. Once the refrigerator ignites, observe the flames on the stove burners. If they are still burning well, shut off the stove. If not, you need to check the propane system.

Please let us know if this works for you. If not, we can start walking you through trouble-shooting.

Jim
      I'm confident the steps TucsonJim has outlined will work. My fridge does the same thing when it has not been used for a bit (in storage). You need to purge the air out of the lines using the stove. One other thing that was stated elsewhere is to open the propane tank valves slowly. Opening them too fast apparently causes them to shut off.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Jim
        I second the procedure Jim outlined for you. If I run out of propane, it will sometimes take several cycles of trying to start the fridge on propane before the gas lines are purged and it will light.

One comment I can add... Our fridge will not go to propane if there is 110VAC power to the fridge (e.g. plugged in to shore power). The only way to get it to go to propane is to unplug the fridge, or run on batteries with no shore power. This is apparently a "feature" of our model of fridge. So my fix for this is I added a switch for the AC power to the fridge. Now all I have to do to get it to go to propane is turn the switch off. Note that the fridge still needs 12 volt power to operate, even on gas. The 12 volts operates the fridge controls.
        Tony G
        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
        2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
        KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post

I second the procedure Jim outlined for you. If I run out of propane, it will sometimes take several cycles of trying to start the fridge on propane before the gas lines are purged and it will light.

One comment I can add... Our fridge will not go to propane if there is 110VAC power to the fridge (e.g. plugged in to shore power). The only way to get it to go to propane is to unplug the fridge, or run on batteries with no shore power. This is apparently a "feature" of our model of fridge. So my fix for this is I added a switch for the AC power to the fridge. Now all I have to do to get it to go to propane is turn the switch off. Note that the fridge still needs 12 volt power to operate, even on gas. The 12 volts operates the fridge controls.
          I should mention so you know the vintage of my current fridge...
          My current trailer is a 2016 GD Reflection 303 RLS
          Tony G
          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
          2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
          KTM 250XC

Comment

I'll jump in quickly to second (3rd, 4th?) Jim's diagnostics. I have to turn on the stove for a few seconds before turning the fridge over to propane every time we use it. It is quite simple and is not a burden once you figure it out.
            2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
              I'll jump in quickly to second (3rd, 4th?) Jim's diagnostics. I have to turn on the stove for a few seconds before turning the fridge over to propane every time we use it. It is quite simple and is not a burden once you figure it out.
              I'll 4th or 5th what Jim said.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Jim
                Perfect! I had removed both tanks to install sensors. Once the stove burners were turned on and eventually lit, the fridge fired right up.
                Thanks, Tuscon Jim!

Comment

Originally posted by alanmc View Post

Perfect! I had removed both tanks to install sensors. Once the stove burners were turned on and eventually lit, the fridge fired right up.
                  Thanks, Tuscon Jim!
                  Great news. Happy camping.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

alanmc Welcome to the family and the forum!
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

we have a 2021 Grand Design Momentum 31G toy hauler. we have tried your suggestion for getting the fridge to run on propane. Even though the stove burners are all fired up, the light on the fridge doesn't even come on when i press the on/off switch. Needless to say, I can't get it to run on propane if it won't even turn on.

Comment

Originally posted by CanAmSpyder View Post
                        we have a 2021 Grand Design Momentum 31G toy hauler. we have tried your suggestion for getting the fridge to run on propane. Even though the stove burners are all fired up, the light on the fridge doesn't even come on when i press the on/off switch. Needless to say, I can't get it to run on propane if it won't even turn on.
                        That suggests that 12vDC is not getting to the refrigerator's control board. Without 12vDC the refrigerator will not run on propane or electric (120vAC heating element).

What make & model refrigerator?
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CanAmSpyder View Post
                          I have a 30G, and the manual for the fridge (Norcold N8DCX-8) doesn't say anything about propane being an option. Where are you finding that it is?
                          Jeff
                          2021 Momentum 30G
                          2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

Comment

Working...
                          X