Samsung Refrigerator Amp Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Refrigerator Amp Draw

A fellow forum member is asking for information on the amp draw for the RF18 Samsung residential fridge. Markb777 is in the process of putting together a plan and is curious how the truck will charge it going down the road. Many of his trips are 8 hours of driving and he's not sure how much battery power he's going to need.

He was first going with 2 or 3 Lifeline AGM's but now leaning toward 2 BB LifePO4 and VE2000 inverter. He's not sure if his 2017 GMC supplies 10a(?) through the #10 wire on the 7 pin connector.

ncitro and Guest -- sounded like a similar setup to your rigs? Hoping you can provide Mark with some feedback. TIA!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post
    A fellow forum member is asking for information on the amp draw for the RF18 Samsung residential fridge. Markb777 is in the process of putting together a plan and is curious how the truck will charge it going down the road. Many of his trips are 8 hours of driving and he's not sure how much battery power he's going to need.

He was first going with 2 or 3 Lifeline AGM's but now leaning toward 2 BB LifePO4 and VE2000 inverter. He's not sure if his 2017 GMC supplies 10a(?) through the #10 wire on the 7 pin connector.

ncitro and Guest -- sounded like a similar setup to your rigs? Hoping you can provide Mark with some feedback. TIA!

Howard
    I’ve got a larger Samsung than that so take my results with a grain of salt. I run for Lion energy lithium batteries. I haven’t tracked my power usage over a length of time, but I can say my peak draw has been around 20 amps, which I assume is when the defroster is running. Actually I have a rather interesting use case, I dropped the rig off Monday to be detailed. It’s been raining here pretty much forever with no sun, and sure enough I’ve been getting less than 100 watts of solar so the fridge has been running solely off of batteries. All that’s been on in the rig is both fridges (the outside does not use much especially since it’s been cool). With four batteries, they died Tuesday night, so about forty hours.

As for charging from the truck, it’ll help, but the noise I ever saw out of my factory pigtail was 7 amps. In eight hours with two 100ah batteries, even if you drew 20 amps the whole time that would net to 13, which should give you 15 hours of driving if you don’t mind arriving mostly dead. I’d think an eight hour day should be fine.

As you probably know this could be improved by additional batteries, solar, or a DC to DC charger (I’ve done all of these lol).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

howson ncitro Howard, Neil,

The MY17 truck most likely will be fused to 30 amps like my 2015 model so the best that can be had from the 7 pin charge circuit is to use the 20amp DCDC. When I tested mine on the driveway before installing I had seen startup surges as high as 27 amps so to go higher would most likely not work out.

Jim

Comment

Markb777 -- for even more detailed information on Jim's conversions (likely very applicable to your situation) do an Advanced Search as shown below. You'll be rewarded with many threads to read.

For detailed info on how to search the forum, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...hing-the-forum

Below is an example of a search that may work for you:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AdvancedSearch.JPG
Views:	1451
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	32571

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks to Howard for the post and also to those who responded, all great information.

I'm adding an interesting picture of the inside sticker of the Samsung which I took a few days ago at Lowe's. It shows 3A AC which makes me think that's about 30A DC. If we have a 50% duty cycle then possibly the average draw over several hours could be 15A DC which is quite reasonable.

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X