How to remove the front glass - Twin Star fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the front glass - Twin Star fireplace

We have the Twin Star 47" fireplace in our Solitude and I would like to take the front glass off so I can get in behind and clean out the accumulated dust and check the heater/blower.
    According to the manual, there should be 2 screws in the top corners holding the panel on. The way ours is built, if those screws are present, there is no way to get to them due to the surrounding moulding.
    Anyone with this model of fireplace know how to get the front glass off? I don't want to pry anything too hard for fear of breaking the glass.
    Thanks
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
    We have the Twin Star 47" fireplace in our Solitude and I would like to take the front glass off...
    Cate&Rob has a document that shows how to pop off the trim around the fireplace...assuming your Twin Star has a similar construction. I'm at work without my files (I have a copy) but I'm sure Rob will post it soon.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Cate&Rob has a document that shows how to pop off the trim around the fireplace...assuming your Twin Star has a similar construction. I'm at work without my files (I have a copy) but I'm sure Rob will post it soon.
      You have time for work in between RV modification/upgrade projects?

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

My turn with the fireplace, need to get behind there for a couple of projects. So, I found the set screw on the sides, loosened, looked like the glass would just lift off so I could access the screws that hold the fireplace in place, nope, there are two tabs at the top that appear to be screwed into the top of the fireplace holding in place. I can't reach them from the TV opening.

It's a TwinStar fireplace with the glass front, 2017 Momentum 376TH.

I would like to see the trim popping document if anyone has it.

I have seen another picture of a fireplace that had 2 set screws removed and then it swung out on hinges.

Looks like my last resort may be removing the 8 screw that are attached to the frame with my little 90 degree phillips, only about 3/4 in clearance.

Any ideas would be helpful. I'll check back tomorrow.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

I would like to see the trim popping document if anyone has it.
          https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ace-inspection
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard, different fireplace.

More research and I found a Twinstar installation manual. Other places I have looked have indicated that the trim above the fireplace must be removed in order to access the set screws on the top of the fireplace. Hmmm!

Here is a picture of the installation, note the blue arrows pointing to the set tabs at the top. There are two holder screws on the side of the fireplace that can be reached and removed, this allows the front plate to tilt, but cannot be slid out.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	FaceTabs.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	37790

These hinge brackets are what holds the fireplace, they are folded out and screwed into the frame. They are visible from the side, but only about 1/2 clearance, no way to get a 90 degree Philips behind it and loosen them without removing the faceplace.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hingebrackets.JPG Views:	0 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	37792

It is possible to get to the edge of the tabs from the top. They have a little 90 degree bend that fits into a slot and a set screw hole.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SetScrew.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	37791

So here is the question for the GD installers: do you put the set screw in?

If not, there may be enough clearance to pull the 90 bend out of the slot and simply slide the faceplate off. If the screw is in there that is not possible. That would mean that the trim above the fireplace would have to be removed to get to the faceplate screw.

Removing the trim. Most trim is put on with wire nails/staples. They pull out fairly easily and leave tiny holes that are not visible. That's not the hard part. The hard will be trying to refasten the trim without making a mess. Maybe drilling tiny guide holes and finishing nails, but even that is visible. Glue is out of the question, because if you have to fix it once you will need to fix it again.

Comment

d2reid

Dallas

Would there happen to be screws that are inside the side cabinets that would anchor the fireplace? I was just looking at the walk thru on the GD site and it is hard to tell how the fireplace is held in place. The one on the walk thru may be a different brand as well. Post a pic of your fireplace if you can.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The Fireplace

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	37881

This is a side view, Red Arrow points to the piece of trim folks are talking about removing. It runs between the red and green lines in the picture above. Inside the yellow box you can see the trim sitting behind the fireplace front panel and on top of the fireplace. The green arrow points to the hinge that attaches the fireplace to the cabinetry. Note there is not enough room room between the fireplace faceplate to put a 90 degree screwdriver in to remove those screws.

Name:	SideViewTrim.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	37882

The picture below is as seen from the top in the tv door slot. The blue arrow points to the tab that may or may not have a set screw in it. This is the location that one could put a long thin screwdriver in and pry the 90 degree out of the slot enough for it to slide, if there is no set screw.

The red arrow (below) points to the only screws I could find, other than the hinge screws (green arrow above). I don't believe taking them out will accomplish anything as there are other parts of the cabinet trim attached to it.

Name:	TVView.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	37883

I think if there is no more information forthcoming I will pull the trim piece off. That will allow me access to the set screws on the faceplate. Taking the faceplate off will allow me access to the mounting screws on the hinges. Gotta do what I gotta do i guess.

Comment

Well it looks like you will need to pry off the trim piece. The only thing I can suggest is a putty knife or a think plastic strip to pry it off so not to damage. This may be some good feedback to GD on there installation techniques. GDRV-Megan please read thru this post and reply if you have any info.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I think if there is no more information forthcoming I will pull the trim piece off. That will allow me access to the set screws on the faceplate. Taking the faceplate off will allow me access to the mounting screws on the hinges. Gotta do what I gotta do i guess.
                    Please let us know what you find. I have been holding off for now as all I need to do is preventative. Don't have an actual problem yet and was hesitant to mess with something that wasn't broke!
                    Thanks
                    -
                    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

I think if there is no more information forthcoming I will pull the trim piece off. That will allow me access to the set screws on the faceplate. Taking the faceplate off will allow me access to the mounting screws on the hinges.
                      Yep, I agree. That top trim needs to come off. It's hiding the set screws.

I'm assuming the installation is "built-in construction" (option 3).

Click image for larger version  Name:	opt3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	37891

The last step in the installation is those set screws, with them removed the front frame can be popped off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Last Step is 9.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	37892

Comment

KamFlyer -- in case you're having difficulty finding the manual, here it is.
                        Howard
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks howson. I had found that a while ago but was hoping to not have to take that trim piece off. echoing d2reid Getting it back on and keeping it on could be a trick.
                          -

Comment

Being as the trim piece may have to come off at another time for cleaning I would recommend a couple of small screws to attach the trim piece for easy removal. A little bit of paint or a colored screw head might be enough to blend it or look like it is supposed to be like that.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                              I would recommend a couple of small screws to attach the trim piece for easy removal.
                              Brian
                              I have been giving this some thought as it appears that the trim will have to be removed. Those that have seen my projects know that they are highly functional, but about as ugly as ugly can get. So to attempt to not ruin DW's perfect fireplace I am looking at using double ended hanger bolts. The idea being that I would pull the trim, screw the wood screw section into pilot holes on the wood trim, then through drill the fireplace behind it and attach wing nuts to secure the trim. It would make easy for me to remove should the need arise again, I don't have to make any holes in the front of the trim. Alignment will be my biggest hurtle. I'll post pictures as I move along, it's not going to be fast, probably several days before I get er done.

Name:	everbilt-hanger-bolts-dowel-screws-809281-64_145.jpg
Views:	1513
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	37968

Comment

Working...
                              X