Dometic Water Heater not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic Water Heater not working

Last week we took out our 2021 Imagine 2400BH out for its first trip. On the second day our Water heater stopped working. Will not work on either gas or electric. Ignitor for propane doesn’t come on, acts as if there is no power to the unit. I replaced the 2 amp fuse on DSI board, no luck. Checked breaker and fuses on converter, no luck. Ordered a new DSI circuit board and installed, no luck. Thermal Cutoff looks okay and cannot see any wires that are shorted. Propane level is okay. Has enough to run fridge and stove with no problems. I have also tried this on battery power only(shows full charge) and also on 30amp shore power. Has anyone had issues like this? We have a few trips planned in the next month so I don’t really have time to drop of at the dealer which is 2 hours away.

Water heater is Dometic WH-6GEA and is controlled by Compass Connect Control panel.

Originally posted by Bbuenger View Post
    Last week we took out our 2021 Imagine 2400BH out for its first trip. On the second day our Water heater stopped working. Will not work on either gas or electric. Ignitor for propane doesn’t come on, acts as if there is no power to the unit. I replaced the 2 amp fuse on DSI board, no luck. Checked breaker and fuses on converter, no luck. Ordered a new DSI circuit board and installed, no luck. Thermal Cutoff looks okay and cannot see any wires that are shorted. Propane level is okay. Has enough to run fridge and stove with no problems. I have also tried this on battery power only(shows full charge) and also on 30amp shore power. Has anyone had issues like this? We have a few trips planned in the next month so I don’t really have time to drop of at the dealer which is 2 hours away.

Water heater is Dometic WH-6GEA and is controlled by Compass Connect Control panel.
    I don't have the Compass Connect but on our second trip out our electric side stopped working. It worked briefly and then stopped. The red rocker switch for electric was not lighted. Gas was working fine. When I got home I pulled the control panel and checked connections on the switch and blew out quite a bit of sawdust. Put panel back on and the electric said started working and has been ever since.

I would recommend pulling the panel and checking connections to the switches. And be sure there aren't any loose wire strand shorting. And blow out any debris on the back of the panel.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

I don't have the Compass Connect but on our second trip out our electric side stopped working. It worked briefly and then stopped. The red rocker switch for electric was not lighted. Gas was working fine. When I got home I pulled the control panel and checked connections on the switch and blew out quite a bit of sawdust. Put panel back on and the electric said started working and has been ever since.

I would recommend pulling the panel and checking connections to the switches. And be sure there aren't any loose wire strand shorting. And blow out any debris on the back of the panel.
      Unfortunately it’s not that simple with the compass connect panel. It’s all buttons and no switches. Backside of control panel has 1 connector going out.

Comment

The Compass Connect feature is pretty new and we don't have a lot of collective knowledge in trouble-shooting it. I'd suggest you give Lippert customer service a call. They have a 24/7 support line at 574-537-8900. If they do help you resolve it, it would be great if you could share tips on how to fix it.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Unfortunately it’s not that simple with the compass connect panel. It’s all buttons and no switches. Backside of control panel has 1 connector going out.

I figured that. I am pretty happy my Imagine was built the end of June 2020 before they apparently switched Imagines to the Compass Connect. Technology is great!.... when it works. When it doesn't work it really sucks! I do enough IT work for work. I don't really want to do it when I'm not working.
          Mike & Lisa
          Central Florida
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Somewhere in your trailer that one wire exiting the control panel enters another panel full of relays. That's the panel you need to find and check the connectors. It may look something like the example below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	board.JPG
Views:	9452
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	36266

The control panel you interact with sends out a command to the board. The board then executes the command by turning on (or off) the related relay in the board.

Where the board with the relays is in your trailer I don't have a clue.

Howard

P.S. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance!
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have a Reflection 297RSTS and the water heater did exact same thing. Four days into a week stay the water heater quit. Nothing, no electric or gas, all fuses and breakers were fine. Took it back to the dealer and the tech came out with his electrical tester, checked the power feeds, had power then pulled the connection with the fuse able link and “RESET” the water heater. Took the trailer out last weekend and it was all good. Took tech 2 minutes to fix.

Comment

Bbuenger ,
                DougF may be referencing the thermofuse as documented in a Reference Material thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eck-thermofuse

From a similar Atwood water heater manual:

The thermal cutoff is a device installed in the power supply line. This device will shut off electrical power and stop heater operation when activated {or if the connectors fail as documented in the RM post}. ... In order to restore power and proper operation of the water heater, ... the thermal cutoff must be replaced.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by DougF View Post
                  I have a Reflection 297RSTS and the water heater did exact same thing. Four days into a week stay the water heater quit. Nothing, no electric or gas, all fuses and breakers were fine. Took it back to the dealer and the tech came out with his electrical tester, checked the power feeds, had power then pulled the connection with the fuse able link and “RESET” the water heater. Took the trailer out last weekend and it was all good. Took tech 2 minutes to fix.
                  Just had the same thing happen to my Imagine on the first long trip. I pulled the blue wire on the EOC labeled area of the water heater panel and replugged it in. Heater started right up and working fine. Thanks for your post!

Comment

I have found on another owners water heater that was having issues at a campground that the wire connectors were loose , we squeezed the connector with pliers a little and then had to push them on a little harder to get them to seat properly. This fixed his problem and I have since checked mine and a few others and found more loose connections, one more thing to check once and a while.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Been on the road for two weeks. Suddenly no hot water from facets. Checked thermal fuses, in tack. Released pressure valve and hot water was released. Changed water settings from city water to dry camp back to city water and suddenly hot water flowing from facets. We traveled only 100 miles to a new destination and this morning again no hot water from facets. Release valve had hot water. Frustrated, 29 degrees here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbertha View Post
                        Been on the road for two weeks. Suddenly no hot water from facets. Checked thermal fuses, in tack. Released pressure valve and hot water was released. Changed water settings from city water to dry camp back to city water and suddenly hot water flowing from facets. We traveled only 100 miles to a new destination and this morning again no hot water from facets. Release valve had hot water. Frustrated, 29 degrees here.
                        You may have a faulty check valve on the water heater output side or a faulty valve on the panel. Let us know what year and model you have, it will help us help you.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

What ended up being the problem? First trip out with our 21 GD 2800 same model water heater and same exact problem. We had hot water for the first couple days and then it just stopped working. Checked everything I could, but it's like it doesn't even try to start.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ82 View Post

What ended up being the problem? First trip out with our 21 GD 2800 same model water heater and same exact problem. We had hot water for the first couple days and then it just stopped working. Checked everything I could, but it's like it doesn't even try to start.
                            Propane and/or electric don't work?

What is the actual battery voltage reading?

Are you on shore power or "boondocking"?

Comment

Working...
                            X