Refrigerator Power Source Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Power Source Selection

Recently purchased a 2020 297RSTS and was out on our second trip when the refrigerator started buzzing upon return later in the day with outside
    temperature above 80 degrees and dew point over 60 ( 4 days out of 7).

Spoke to dealer Service Dept. and was told to switch to gas when this happens, since electric can't function well under those conditions.

Have had two other TT for over 20 years and have never heard or experienced this.

Found no information in owner's manual or manufacturer's (Domestic) information to support this.

True, False, or otherwise?

A better description of buzzing and make/model of refrigerator would be helpful.

Do RV refrigerators work better on propane? Some will swear up and down propane will work better. I’m not sure for a few reasons:

1. At a refrigerator manufacturer’s technical class for RV techs I asked was it correct gas absorption refrigerators cooled better on propane. The manufacturer’s rep said no.

2. A cooling system test for a Dometic takes 6 - 8 hours and is run on electric with the thermostat disabled. Anticipated temperature is in the mid to low 30s in the refrigerator compartment. Kind of suggests an “inferior” operating mode is pretty good.

3. An unscientific opinion, we spend about half the year dry camping running the refrigerator on propane and the rest of the year in campgrounds with the refrigerator running on electric. Been doing this for almost four years, can’t tell a bit of difference.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Comment

• K Parrott
      K Parrott commented
      Editing a comment
      The noise is more like humming, does not sound like a fan. As if it is straining to function, yet it cools.

Had not detected temperature range prior to taking in for service.

It is a slide in unit which is a first for us.

Did check for air flow blockage or restriction and found none.

The "buzzing" sound may be the fan on the back of the unit. With slide mounted refrigerators the normal air flow of heat rising does not take effect as with non slide mounted or "roof vented" refrigerator. The fan is used to help get the air flow on these types of units. Our fan does make some noise. I have noticed that , on start up , our unit will cool faster on gas than electric but as colan has stated I have not noticed any performance differences.
    In theory the gas should operate better because is burns around the area being heated and the electric relies on heat transfer from the heating element that is mounted to the outside of the heated area.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• K Parrott
      K Parrott commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply and I can see why the service writer made his comment.

The noise is coming from the interior more than outside.

Still need to determine cause of humming/straining sound and why only during warm and humid outside temps.

The only moving parts in a gas absorption refrigerator (RV type) are the fans. Many/most/all (depending on make and model of refrigerator) fans are thermostatically controlled. It sounds like a fan is vibrating/rubbing/going bad(you pick), the reason it is only heard when it’s hot is most likely it only runs when hot.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Comment

• K Parrott
      K Parrott commented
      Editing a comment
      Guess it's a wait and see situation since the dealer could not duplicate the sound.

I'll take some tools and mirrors next trip and check fans when it re-occurs.

Thanks.
Working...
X