Dometic 4-Door 1350 Fridge Modifications to Help with Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic 4-Door 1350 Fridge Modifications to Help with Cooling

Many of us have an issue with the 4-door Dometic fridge not cooling properly. This was one of the service items we had submitted for the National Rally in Goshen. A Dometic tech came and looked at our fridge and made 2 modifications:

1) This applies ONLY to the 4 door fridge, and ONLY the ones used in Grand Design coaches - there is a baffle in the upper access panel that is too large. While that baffle is needed in different applications, it is NOT required in the GD 4 door fridges (they admitted that there was previous miscommunications stating that it should not be removed). The tech removed this baffle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Top Before 2.jpg Views:	1961 Size:	135.3 KB ID:	3656 BEFORE: Baffle prevents warm air from venting out from fridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Top After 2.jpg Views:	2232 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	3655 AFTER: Removing the baffle allows more warm air to escape.

2) The hose that drains the condensate should NOT be straight, as in my before photo, but should have a P-trap. This traps some of the condensate in the 'elbow', which prevents warm air from flowing back into the refrigerator.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hose Before 2.jpeg Views:	1847 Size:	127.6 KB ID:	3657 BEFORE: Our hose was straight, which allowed warm air to travel up into the fridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hose After 2.jpg Views:	1752 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	3658 AFTER: Reconfiguring the hose to have a P-trap allows condensate to collect in the area marked in red. This stops the warm air from flowing back up into the fridge.

Another tip that might help with proper cooling: When you first turn your fridge on, it will run for 60 hours, then shuts down for 2 hours to help with frost buildup. After that initial cycle, it will do the 2 hour shut-off every 48 hours. It's best to try and time that during the cooler part of the day, usually night time. If you started your fridge at noon, the shutdown cycle would happen from midnight to 2AM. So no matter when you start your fridge, if you turn it off for a minute and then re-start around noon, you can 'force' that frost cycle for an optimum time.

Hope this is helpful to some of you, and since I never knew anything about my fridge other than how to turn it on and off (and where to find the cold beverages!), if I've made is mistake in trying to explain what I learned last week, please let me know so I can correct my post.

Andi

Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 07:12 AM. Reason: added mod tag
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Great info, thank you! I wish I knew if this also applies to the 4 door 18cu ft Dometic in my Solitude.
    Jeff
    2019 Solitude 375 RES
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

• Andi
      Andi commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure Jeff. I know they said it applies to four-door fridges, not two door. But I’m not sure if the size is important. Maybe you could contact Dometic and ask them?

Superb write up Andi. I'll bet that this will help many owners.

Edit: all owners should consult with GDRV customer service or Dometic before modifying their system.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 09-07-2019, 07:53 AM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

• Andi
      Andi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim, that means a lot coming from you. I’m a little intimidated posting technical items after hanging out with all you engineer types last week! 😉

Thank you posting that information. I will be removing baffle to see if that improves operation of refer.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Andi,
      So, how did the tech guy remove the baffel?
      Did he just cut it off? In screw it?
      i have the 1350, and considering doing this. I have not had cooling issues as other have reported, but a cooler running refrigerator is better.
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

• Andi
        Andi commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve, I’m not really sure. He actually did it when we were away from the coach. We had one tech suggest using a utility knife to score it repeatedly at the place you wanted to cut it off at.

• Gordon
        Gordon commented
        Editing a comment
        The baffle in mine was only secure with a few small staples on each end. Easily pried(carefully) free, rotated, and then removed.

@Andi,

Great write-up! . . . clearly explains exactly what was done by the Dometic techs.

I will be really interested to learn if this modification actually improves fridge performance.
      The conventional wisdom to date is that the closeout plate is required to within 1/2" of the cooling fins to direct the air flow through this heat exchanger.
      This is specifically described in the Dometic installation instructions for installations with side venting and is why GDRV installed the close out panel.
      Attached is a picture of the installation instructions that came with my 8 cu ft Dometic fridge.
      I realize that this modification is specifically for the larger fridges, but the heat exchange process is the same.

Rob
      Attached Files
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

According to the Dometic installation manual (page 16), side vent refrigerators should have a baffle. They must be equipped with fans.

GDRV-Emily -- any chance a Dometic technical representive can weigh in on this thread regarding the baffle? I don't doubt Andi has posted her experience accurately--just want to ensure a single Dometic technician's opinion doesn't cause a wave of baffle removals only to find out later what they did wasn't correct.

Page 16.pdf
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Andi
          Andi commented
          Editing a comment
          Howard, from what I remember being told by both the tech who worked on my fridge and Jennifer who presented a Dometic fridge presentation on Friday, the original instructions to use the baffle were incorrect. However this only applied to the 4-door fridge in a Grand Design coach. I believe it had something to do with the spacing/positioning of the top vent in a GD unit was different than in other brands, and that caused the baffle to be unnecessary. But as I'm not an engineer, and I'm probably not even using the correct terminology, it would be nice to have an official explanation from Dometic.

• howson
          howson commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree completely, Andi. "Should" (in my world of USAF aircraft maintenance technical manuals) meant "optional". I hope Dometic weighs in here so owners know what to do to maximize their refrigerator's performance.

Andi,
        Thanks for the reply. Since Rob instruction are different, and there is questions, I think I will hang on this and see if Dometic will way in. (2 door vs 4 door).
        To date, mine (4 door 1350) has ran well even in 90’s degrees heat/humidity. I did add two fan on the below intake cover that helped out.
        On the upper vent, the baffle covers the bottom two vent openings. I do wonder, if taking the baffle out will increase the air flow more. It has to be restricted. It is the old saying, if you get air in, you also have to get the same amount out.
        Last edited by Superduty; 09-07-2019, 11:41 AM.
        Steve
        2018 Reflection 303
        2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

The presenter at the Dometic tech session at the Rally, made the point that the most important heat transfer was from the condenser across the top, which is why it has all the cooling fins. This is the same as my previous understanding of how absorption refrigeration works. It doesn't make sense to me that allowing airflow to bypass these cooling fins (by removing the baffle plate) would improve the refrigeration process.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I checked the top vent on my 337 and also found the big of paneling, I guess what the techs are calling a baffle. I took it out, seems foolish to block the vent. Waiting.
            Last edited by Andi; 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM. Reason: Copied the photo caption so it could be fully viewed

Comment

Could you please add some comments about this picture?

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We have a 2018 Reflection 327 RST with a Dometic 1350 frig. GD installed a metal plate just like the wooden shown in the first picture. Question, should that be removed? The frig. cools well while stationary; however, while on the road the temp incresses while traveling. This plate was obviously installed prior to when the frig. was put in. It would be difficult to remove now. Suggestions? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe48 View Post
                  We have a 2018 Reflection 327 RST with a Dometic 1350 frig. GD installed a metal plate just like the wooden shown in the first picture. Question, should that be removed? The frig. cools well while stationary; however, while on the road the temp incresses while traveling. This plate was obviously installed prior to when the frig. was put in. It would be difficult to remove now. Suggestions? Thanks!
                  Joe,
                  As mentioned in the thread (post 7) I'm waiting on an input from either Dometic and/or Grand Design before I remove the baffle on my rig.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3352.JPG
Views:	3818
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	7137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3351.JPG
Views:	3926
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	7136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3349.JPG
Views:	3869
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	7135

Name:	IMG_3350.JPG
Views:	3947
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	7134

Name:	IMG_3345.JPG
Views:	3875
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	7133 I have the same refer. It was working fine in the summer in Ontario. Temps in the thirties during some hot days with the kitchen slide in the full sun. We arrived in Florida Nov 1 and the temps were in the low 90's with high humidity. Temps were climbing to the high 40's low 50's and even hit 60 one day! I put the cold setting on 5 which is the coldest setting. Overnight it would back down to around 40. Now that the humidity has broke we are back to normal maintaining temps in 30's around the clock. Should I expect better performance in very high heat humidity conditions? Attached are pictures of the outside. There are 4 fans at the top, they work and I can feel good airflow coming out the top over the fins. I checked the fridge seals with paper and it feels like a good seal all the way around. However the right hand handle on the fridge looks like it needs adjusting. The latch does not pull the door snug. But I can push on the door and there is no movement, it feels like it is sealed. And the paper test on the seal feels fine.

Attached Files
                    Mark & Colleen
                    2019 Solitude S Class ST3350 RL
                    2017 F250 XLT Diesel w camper & snowplow package
                    Full timing since July 2019

Comment

I should have also mentioned that I am in a full shade site here in Florida.
                      Mark & Colleen
                      2019 Solitude S Class ST3350 RL
                      2017 F250 XLT Diesel w camper & snowplow package
                      Full timing since July 2019

Comment

Working...
                      X