Dometic 4-Door 1350 Fridge Modifications to Help with Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Branog View Post
    Our 315RLTS with the Norcold refrigerator is not cooling as expected. When I removed the upper vent cover, there is the wood paneling which seems to be blocking the vent cover. Should this be removed?
    Norcold's guidance (at least at the '19 Rally) was to leave the baffle in place. Dometic? Didn't really make a difference (see post 61 in this thread.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Branog That wood baffle is there to ensure airflow goes through the plates as much as possible. Removing the baffle could allow the airflow to bypass part of the cooling fins.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I know this post is for the Dometic, but what about the Norcold 4 door? My fins measure just under an inch to the back wall. 1/2" to the baffle. I removed it (to replace the fans) but not sure if I should be putting it back now?
        Attached Files
        2020 GD 320G
        2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Andi and Rudy

Rudy,
          I know this an old thread, but since I'm in the middle of the refrigerator module at the RVSA school (and I know you went through last year) what, if anything, have you done to your refrigerator setup to address cooling issues? The baffle we discussed at length in this thread was directing air at the condensor, which as you know plays a critical part in the absorption refrigeration process.

Howard

P.S. Hope you didn't get caught up in the wicked early-season snowstorm around Rapid City!
          Last edited by howson; 10-13-2021, 06:48 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson we had the Dometic techs come out again at the national rally this year. We were getting up to roughly 42° at times, they stated that was within specs . They did recommend adding an extra fan on the left side above the boiler by the top louver, which Rudy did. It seems to be helping, we’ve been in 90° weather this week, and the temps have been staying below 40. (He’s thinking about adding another one on the right side)

We left South Dakota about 10 days ago, are currently on the Gulf coast of Texas. Avoided storms all the way down, we only do storm camping with you guys! 🌧⚡️
            Andi
            Brookings SD
            2018 Reflection 337RLS
            2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

I wonder how something like this would work compared to those conventional blade fans.... https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...RoCXacQAvD_BwE
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jxwilliamson View Post

For what it's worth my positive changes only happened by placing a fan inside the fridge. I live in south Texas where humidity and temperatures are high. I started with a cheap $6 USB fan from Walmart then upgraded to a set of fans mounted on the fins. I tried baffle in and out with no noticeable differences.

First inexpensive attempt: https://youtu.be/BwuXY8U8e3I

Ultimate solution that I ended up: https://rvcoolingunit.com/RM1350-4-D...-P5920372.aspx
                I received my fan for the fins inside the fridge and it says to wire through the drain tube into the back of the fridge. This may be a silly question, but the drain tube hangs outside. Do I cut a hole in the top of the tube and pull the wire out inside or how do I do that?
                Thanks!

Comment

echiapuzio

The drain tube on some fridges goes into an “evaporation pan” at the back of the fridge. This is probably what the fan manufacturer is expecting. Many RV fridges route this drain tube outside . . . like yours. You could cut a hole at the highest point of the drain tube as you describe, where drain water will never reach . . . or, bring the wire out the end of the tube and tape it back up the side of the drain tube into the space behind the fridge.

Rob
                  ​​​​​​​
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    echiapuzio

The drain tube on some fridges goes into an “evaporation pan” at the back of the fridge. This is probably what the fan manufacturer is expecting. Many RV fridges route this drain tube outside . . . like yours. You could cut a hole at the highest point of the drain tube as you describe, where drain water will never reach . . . or, bring the wire out the end of the tube and tape it back up the side of the drain tube into the space behind the fridge.

Rob
                    @echiapuzio

As Rob mentioned this is what I did for my installation.

Comment

Working...
                    X