Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New OnBoard Compressed Air Setup (VIAIR Constant Duty ADA System)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OnBoard Compressed Air Setup (VIAIR Constant Duty ADA System)

Some may remember the thread about my VIAIR 450P-RV when it died about a year ago: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...owing-30a-fuse Today I finally finished (?) installing a replacement. (I still have a few ideas on improving the air lines...)

The new VIAIR is a Constant Duty Air Deployment Air (ADA) System - Universal. It met a couple of key requirements I set for the replacement: 100% duty cycle (can run constantly without rest), has a tank (albeit a very small one), does not have the pressure switch under the air path (like on the 450 model as documented in the other thread) and perhaps most importantly due to where it "lives" an IP67 Ingress Protection Rating. I bought the VIAIR back in August and have used it extensively--just hadn't finished the install or posted the mod...so it's about time!

Unlike my first setup, I am not using new VIAIR with my truck's airbags. The ADA is now completely plumbed separately and is primarily used for filling vehicle tires.

As before, power is through the Ford truck's Upfitter 40A switch. There's a separate on/off that comes with the VIAIR itself that I also wired in so I can control the unit from the rear of the truck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pwr Switch.JPG Views:	156 Size:	240.8 KB ID:	37160

I made one modification by adding a water separator to the input side of the compressor. Everything screwed together with stock 1/4" threads so it was easy to do. The gray disc is part of the VIAIR (holds the air filter).

Click image for larger version  Name:	water separator.JPG Views:	328 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	37159

If you look closely the air intake hose wraps around through the back of the bag and eventually connects to the front of the compressor. (Doing it this way let's me close the bag almost all the way except for just a small opening in the rear for wires and hose.) All of the components use quick-disconnects to facilitate easy servicing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Air Path.JPG Views:	158 Size:	143.0 KB ID:	37161

Between the hose I had from the 450 VIAIR and the hose that came with new ADA I've got LOTS of air line. The digital air gauge is outstanding. Satisfies my OCD-driven desire to get tire pressures "perfect" prior to departure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	digital gauge.JPG Views:	154 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	37162

When not in use it sleeps in it's very own Harbor Freight bag and (usually) under the Tonneau cover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bag.JPG Views:	155 Size:	385.6 KB ID:	37163

Keep in mind that the ADA is not a good choice as a portable unit. Permanent installations--yes. Carry from place to place--no.

Any questions...fire away.

Howard
    Last edited by howson; 02-26-2021, 08:30 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Love the set up Howard. I have a 350, so have the same uplifted switches. How did you run the wires?
    Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
    2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

Originally posted by Steve7 View Post
      Love the set up Howard. I have a 350, so have the same uplifted switches. How did you run the wires?
      Steve,
      I followed the path of the other wire bundles staying close to the wheel well--there's a route that will be obvious. Once underneath the truck I again followed an existing wire bundle route. 8 ga wire is what's on the truck for Upfitter circuit 5 and 6 (both 40A circuits). I *think* that's what I ran back to the VIAIR. It's been a while since I did the original mod (Feb '19?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 05 05 Configuration.JPG
Views:	1182
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	37186

Surprisingly I don't have any detailed pictures of the actual wire and routing. Shout back and I'll crawl underneath the truck to take some pics if you want some visuals.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

do rv and truck trires loose pressure alot of the time or just every 6 months or so? I guess I never added air to my truck tires for years on end. I do have the 450 bagged up in the rv just in case I would ever need it. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
          do rv and truck trires loose pressure alot of the time or just every 6 months or so? I guess I never added air to my truck tires for years on end. I do have the 450 bagged up in the rv just in case I would ever need it. thanks
          I'm hyper-vigilant about tire pressures on all of my vehicles, including the DRW TV, trailer, of my motorcycles. (OK, I don't check the John Deere riding mower's tires but I think that's OK!) With what I learned about the cause of tire failures, tire loading, fuel mileage, and tire wear I believe this vigilance is justified.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Surprisingly I don't have any detailed pictures of the actual wire and routing. Shout back and I'll crawl underneath the truck to take some pics if you want some visuals.
            No need to crawl under truck again for me, but do they terminate at a fuse box under the hood, or somehow directly at the switches?
            Last edited by howson; 12-08-2020, 01:12 PM. Reason: Shortened quote to make Steve's post easier to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
              I keep a compressor on hand not only in case of loss of tire pressure due to hazards, but I like to air down my truck tires if I’m staying at one place for more than a few days. It’s not always convenient to find a compressor to air back up before towing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve7 View Post
                No need to crawl under truck again for me, but do they terminate at a fuse box under the hood, or somehow directly at the switches?
                I've attached two Ford documents that may clarify. The Upfitter switches are wired to a fuse box under the hood. There are ready-to-connect wires there for whatever the owner wants to power off the circuits.

Attached Files

Comment

howson Looking good! This summer I installed the same system (150PSI version). I installed mine under the passenger frame rail in line with the tank. I skipped the included relay kit and purchased their pressure switch and wired it directly to the 40 amp upfitter switch (#5 I think). Since I got the 150PSI version, its a max draw of 19 amps and the wiring was greatly simplified with way less to go wrong. It has been great to have for bike tires as well as the rig, and is wonderful for the GooseBox, the real reason I added it.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks howson Howard. The water separator on the intake side is good advice, too late for me. I had a VIAIR installed under my truck with a 2-gallon tank and a lanyard I had to pull from time to time to release moisture from the tank. I thought I was pretty diligent about doing that but barely three years later the tank won't hold air anymore.

I also have a 450RV (because the truck system was installed for a first trailer and not powerful enough for its replacement) but have been underwhelmed by its slow performance - when crawling around on the ground filling tires having a tank makes the job so much faster.

So, once again you've got me thinking about spending money and time. Thanks so much!
                    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
                      Thanks howsonI also have a 450RV ...but have been underwhelmed by its slow performance...
                      The Constant Duty model is essentially the same as the 450 for speed. The only difference is the small tank. There's specs on the website that I expect could confirm that supposition. If the 450 is serving you well there won't be much gain going to the Constant duty model.

At home when I was messing with the trailer TPMS (lowering air pressure to get the sensor to register and then refilling tires) I grabbed my pancake compressor from the garage because you're right--it is much faster. The VIAIR is for convenience (always with me and ready to go) for top-offs and emergencies.

Based on my experience with the 450 being diligent with keeping it clean (or having a separator on the input) is imperative or that pressure switch will fail over time. It's a poor choice where VIAIR installed that switch IMHO.

Comment

I have a 100% duty cycle VIAIR compressor mounted much like Howardhowson has done his (I think I know where he got the idea ). But, I do not see the need for a tank. My compressor is set up to fill the rear suspension airbags as controlled by the onboard wireless controller or to fill tires. Either the air bags or the tire being filled perform the function of an air tank. Speed to fill the airbags is about 1/3 of the time required by the original AirLift compressor. Speed to top up a tire seems reasonable. I have had occasion to fill a completely flat tire and that took a while, but would have completely emptied an on board tank anyway and the 100% duty cycle covered the time required.

I have considered and onboard tank . . . I would really like to have a set of those train sound 5 trumpet air horns . . . to "get the attention" of certain drivers .

​​​​​​​Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have thought about an additional bigger tank, if I ever did horns I would for sure. I keep promising my wife I would be responsible, but she doubts me. Everytime someone cuts over with no signal I make the point...

I ran my air inlet up under the hood with the power lines to reduce the change of getting water in. I also have a water drain at the bottom of the tank. I had thought about running the inlet into the cab, but it seemed like an a lot of work, I figured under the hood should be good enough. Need to drain the tank every now and then from condensation anyway.

I used to carry my pancake in the basement storage of the rig and run it off the inverter. It worked great and was really fast, but took up a ton of space and was noisy, especially in the basement. This is slower, but so much more convenient. I still carry my 3/8 non-coiled air hose from the pancake, which is nice but takes up a lot of space. I keep it under the rear set, but my sons car seat being in the middle makes it a pain to get to. Considering something in the front storage maybe.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                            I used to carry my pancake in the basement storage of the rig and run it off the inverter. It worked great and was really fast, but took up a ton of space and was noisy, especially in the basement. This is slower, but so much more convenient. ... Considering something in the front storage maybe.
                            You and I, as the saying goes, are "brothers from a different mother", Neil. Seems like all of our projects are mirrors of each other--and for the same reasons! We definitely need to meet up and share a campfire one of these days. As we talk RV upgrades our wives can exchange "knowing" looks and eye rolls.

What I'd like to figure out is a way to have a retractable hose mounted under the bumper of the truck or maybe even on the tongue of the RV?. Not sure if that's even feasible but it's the last nuisance in my setup ("1st world problem", for sure).

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You and I, as the saying goes, are "brothers from a different mother", Neil. Seems like all of our projects are mirrors of each other--and for the same reasons! We definitely need to meet up and share a campfire one of these days. As we talk RV upgrades our wives can exchange "knowing" looks and eye rolls.

What I'd like to figure out is a way to have a retractable hose mounted under the bumper of the truck or maybe even on the tongue of the RV?. Not sure if that's even feasible but it's the last nuisance in my setup ("1st world problem", for sure).
                              For sure. Missed you at the National Rally last year, and of course no rally this year. I’m signed up for the So Cal rally next year, and planning to go to the national.

Yeah a hose reel would be interesting. I’d be worried it would get destroyed under the bed though. Something to ponder...

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X