Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentum 376 Rear Camera Ready?

Hello all!

Just picked up my 376TH that is "camera ready" and would like some information regarding the rear camera and what is already there and what is not.

I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado that is equipped from the factory with 2 trailer camera connections that can be displayed on the in-dash system.
    The camera kit can be found here:

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/elect...-92305265.html

I'm interested in the best way to get this hooked up. How to route the wiring (if need be) etc.

Thank you!

Happy to be a new member..

RJ

“Camera ready” generally means there is a Furrion camera mount and power wiring available. No video wiring is included.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

RJS Welcome to the family and the forum!

I am not yet up to speed on the camera systems, but I saw that you are new and wonder to welcome you and let you know that the moderators have taken the time to create a welcome letter that helps you navigate the forum and make it much easier for noobies. The link is https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      I may get around to reading it next time I beak some ribs.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by RJS View Post
        Hello all!

Just picked up my 376TH that is "camera ready" and would like some information regarding the rear camera and what is already there and what is not.

I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado that is equipped from the factory with 2 trailer camera connections that can be displayed on the in-dash system.

I'm interested in the best way to get this hooked up. How to route the wiring (if need be) etc.

Thank you!

RJ
        I can't help with your question, but do want to welcome you to the forum. Someone will be along with an answer!

Howard

Guest -- any ideas?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I can't help with your question, but do want to welcome you to the forum. Someone will be along with an answer!

Howard

Guest -- any ideas?
          RJS

From what I see on this system, the rear camera mounts mid way up the back of the rig, so for me, I would be tempted to run the wire along the bottom of the rig and up the back. I will be home tomorrow evening sometime and can take a look at the installation procedure to see what's involved.

Also trim color, rigs with a rear window, tow hauler ramp, and other factors can alter your choices in routing the cable and locating the camera as well.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

would like some information regarding the rear camera and what is already there and what is not.
            RJ

Congrats on the 376, welcome to the forum. I keep lurking around the backup camera posts hoping to find some specific information. I bought a new Ford in 2019 and it has the capability of adding an auxiliary camera through a special Ford connector, to a Ford Camera.

So I will be following your camera adventures to see if you discover some special magic stuff. Maybe I will just have to buy the expensive Ford kit and just do what it takes to make it work.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Congrats on the 376, welcome to the forum. I keep lurking around the backup camera posts hoping to find some specific information. I bought a new Ford in 2019 and it has the capability of adding an auxiliary camera through a special Ford connector, to a Ford Camera.

So I will be following your camera adventures to see if you discover some special magic stuff. Maybe I will just have to buy the expensive Ford kit and just do what it takes to make it work.
              You've probably seen my post before but just in case: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...7701#post17701
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You've probably seen my post before
                No I hadn't, thanks for taking the time to repost it.
                2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Hello all!

Thank you!

RJ
                  RJS

I've finally had a chance to look into this. GM does not recommend running the cable along the bottom of the rig but rather up the front, over the roof and down the back along the centerline of the rig. There are two options available for camera placement where some features will not be available if mounted at the top/rear location. The Transparent Trailer system calls for a specific placement of the camera in order to operate as intended for that option.

If there are any questions you have in installing the camera system, feel free to PM and I will be happy to help you.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

RJS

I've finally had a chance to look into this. GM does not recommend running the cable along the bottom of the rig but rather up the front, over the roof and down the back along the centerline of the rig. There are two options available for camera placement where some features will not be available if mounted at the top/rear location. The Transparent Trailer system calls for a specific placement of the camera in order to operate as intended for that option.

If there are any questions you have in installing the camera system, feel free to PM and I will be happy to help you.

Jim
                    Thanks so much for the response. I'll continue to look into this more. I'm starting to fall out of love with the hassle of hooking this all up. I'm not sure the ability to see behind me is that important at this point.

Comment

RJS

It looks like the Invisible Trailer and Trailer Guidance will require the camera to be mounted in a specific zone that would correlate to just above the height of your truck tail gate. This would pose a problem for a fold down ramp so the high mount position would have to be used. It looks like there are still plenty of usable functions with this location.
                      Not trying to talk you into it. I would love to have the trailer monitoring integrated into the center stack.

Jim

Comment

I just installed this - in an ugly zip tie way - to bring my new to me 312bhts home. The camera works great. I ran the cable over the top. I’ll go back and clean it up and it should look fairly nice. The kit comes with adhesive squares to run the cable. There is plenty of cable to go up and over. The image quality is great. I haven’t set up the invisible trailer feature yet - my trailer is technically too long for the feature to work.

In my opinion the cable won’t be noticeable except where it runs from the center of the rear wall of the trailer to the side. Once on the side it should blend in well enough to “‘disappear”. GMC recommends over the top or along the side to avoid rock damage. I have read that some are installing PVC conduit along one side of the bottom of trailers.

I have the camera attached with adhesive strips right now but I’m trying to figure out the best options to put a couple of screws to hold the camera as well.

Good luck! You’ll like the camera.
                        2020 GMC 2500HD Denali (6.6L Gas)
                        2019 Reflection 312BHTS
                        soon: Equalizer WDH

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo68 View Post
                          I just installed this - in an ugly zip tie way - to bring my new to me 312bhts home. The camera works great. I ran the cable over the top. I’ll go back and clean it up and it should look fairly nice. The kit comes with adhesive squares to run the cable. There is plenty of cable to go up and over. The image quality is great. I haven’t set up the invisible trailer feature yet - my trailer is technically too long for the feature to work.

In my opinion the cable won’t be noticeable except where it runs from the center of the rear wall of the trailer to the side. Once on the side it should blend in well enough to “‘disappear”. GMC recommends over the top or along the side to avoid rock damage. I have read that some are installing PVC conduit along one side of the bottom of trailers.

I have the camera attached with adhesive strips right now but I’m trying to figure out the best options to put a couple of screws to hold the camera as well.

Good luck! You’ll like the camera.
                          Welcome to the forum, Dingo68. Always cool to see someone's first post is one with information and/or helpful.

Any questions with your new 312BHTS, fire away. (Might want to check your signature block...there's a typo!)

Howard

Comment

Dingo68 Welcome to the family and the forum!
                            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

DSPARKS -- moved your post/question to it's own thread. You'll find it here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-wire-inverter

Comment

Working...
                              X