Not getting electric current to unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tondij View Post
    Charging battery worked. How does one avoid this situation if you have no place to plug in?
    A generator and/or solar power and/or more batteries, as others have said. The single battery won't last long, especially in colder weather, and even less so now that it has been drained more than 50%. Each time the battery is seriously drained, it becomes less capable of holding a charge - do it a few times and the battery will be junk.

More batteries is the easiest and maybe least expensive way to improve your capacity, but of course it increases the time you need to be plugged in to recharge them when they've been run down (to about 50%, no more). There are simple mathematical ways of calculating how much battery capacity you need for the things you want to run... look on the web or post here if you need help with that.

Note that your truck at best only trickle-charges the battery(ies). It cannot usually be relied upon to restore daily power usage (especially in cold weather) of even one battery, let alone several of them. Not even if you're driving hours every day. Shore power or a generator or solar will typically be required to keep multiple batteries topped up.

We really like this popular generator. It's dual fuel (runs on propane or gas) and has enough power to charge batteries and run most equipment (not all at the same time) in our trailer.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

boyscout Serious question. Where do you store it? Pickup Bed? How do you get it in and out?
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        boyscout Serious question. Where do you store it? Pickup Bed? How do you get it in and out?
        I have the same one. I keep it in the pickup bed. I can get it in and out alone, but its painful. Easy with two of us though. I only ever run it on propane (enough clogged carbs in my life to avoid gas in it), so that keeps it a bit lighter as well. I adapted the gas hose so I can connect it to the trailers grill port (and added a few extra propane outlets around the rig so we can put it on the other side or run it in the bed if need be) so no extra tank to haul around either.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

mpking -- your question is exactly why I went with the smaller version as documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-model-100402

By no means is the smaller version "better"--I'd prefer the 3400W--but the 2000W I can pick up and store in the front passthru (it never has and never will run with gasoline).
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
            I'm mid-sixties, arthritic and in every other way the exact opposite of an Olympic athlete but I don't have any trouble muscling it around. It has wheels and a handle, so other than an occasional dead-lift of its 95 pounds it's quite easily moved around. I run it on propane only, so there's no gasoline odor or flammability to be concerned about. I can carry it in the trailer or in the truck and can plug it into the trailer's propane system.
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
            X