LCI MyRv Disappearing Icons, the continuing saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCI MyRv Disappearing Icons, the continuing saga

Going on our 4th year in our 2017 Momentum 376TH with the LCI MyRv control system. The problem that I originally reported back in 2017 has been ongoing, but still nothing more than a nuisance, I can giggle some wires and it always comes back.

But my system has learned some new tricks. The icons and lighting controls are appearing, disappearing and moving all around. Then they don't work, then they do. Here is a 1 minute video of what the problem looks like.

It's going to be fun to see what LCI has to say about. Anyone else learn anything new in the last 4 years?
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-29-2021, 04:53 PM. Reason: Link removed rule #14
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
    It's going to be fun to see what LCI has to say about. Anyone else learn anything new in the last 4 years?
    Dallas,
    Do you know the components that make up your trailer's MyRV setup? It's obviously one of the older configs--I *think* it's a V1 (the bottom left screen in the picture below). I forget the exact screen you can bring up on the interface panel ("configuration" or something like that?) will show the individual control boards plugged in to the CANBUS. The LCI1.com website has MyRV manuals available.

Click image for larger version  Name:	history.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.3 KB ID:	41264
    Icons coming and going is like unplugging and then plugging in the CAN lines to the (likely) modular controllers in your trailer's system or cycling power to the controller(s). If all the items represented by the icons coming and going are all controlled by one board (a Unity X4) then the board itself may be going bad--which is an expensive proposition to replace. You'll likely have to replace the user interface panel, too, as I don't believe the old interface panels are compatible with the new Unity boards available from LCI.

Consider checking the terminating resistors are good and seated in the system. There's one at the "start" of the CANBUS chain and one at the end. Where exactly are they in your system? No idea. But you'll know it when you see them. They are simply 75 ohm resistors that are easy to ohm out and verify.

Click image for larger version  Name:	resistor.JPG Views:	0 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	41263

Other than that...checking the power and ground wire connectors for chafing or loose connectors is my only other suggestion.

If you can list the individual components in your system I might be able to help with additional troubleshooting.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yup, V1. Oddly enough I have not run across the canbus terminating resistors. I will have to dig a little deeper to find them. Wouldn't that be funny if all my problems revolved around them not being installed...

here is a picture of my guts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NumberedCanbus.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	41323

I went through and reseated all of my canbus connectors that I could find. Since that time the system has worked flawlessly.

Comment

Ok, did a little reading and found out how to get into a configuration view.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_104948.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	41326

It's always good to know what version you are working with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210130_105224.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	41327

Close up of the boards I have found.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210129_124702.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.9 KB ID:	41328

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210129_124711.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	41329

Got an email reply back from LCI, they said they would be in touch.

The way it comes and goes it has to be a loose connection.
        Attached Files

Comment

d2reid

If you don't have terminating resistors in the circuit that could definitely cause issues. There needs to be one at one end of the circuit and one at the other. How to determine a component is at an "end"? If it only has one CANBUS wire plugged in to it. The user interface panel normally is at one end of the circuit (but not required).

Below is an example from a mock-up. Note the terminating resistors (arrows pointing to them) at one "end" of the circuit and at the other "end". I've drawn together the other lines so you can see how they are daisy-chained. (I missed the panel...should have connected it to but I think you get the idea.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	daisy chain.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	41358

Can you tell which icons keep appearing and disappearing on the control panel? If the icons that come and go are consistent that should help us isolate down to one of the modular boards.

LCI's troubleshooting steps for any MyRV-related controller are the same:

1) Test for power (+12v and ground)
          2) Check the CANBUS
          3) Check the programming (n/a in your case IMO)
          4) Outside component fail (also n/a in your case IMO)

What they don't list is a failure of the controller itself--a possibility. I'd list that possibility as #3 in your situation.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            [Can you tell which icons keep appearing and disappearing on the control panel?
            Howard
            In my original problem the disappearing icons was consistent. With the help of an LCI support guy we chased it down to two possible CAN connectors. The new problem is a bit different, the icons randomly disappear and then reappear. But I feel it's the same problem, just a different manifestation. After reseating the canbus connectors I cannot duplicate the problem. Back in "if it aint broke don't fix it" mode.

Plus it's really cold outside and I pulled my back so I am not feeling like crawling around the inner bay. For now I am doing nothing, I appreciate you insight. When I do start poking around again my first objective is to find those terminators.

Comment

Hello d2reid,

I hope you're issue is still in the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mode. I had a question for you if you don't mind. I am having a similar issue on my Momentum and have what appears the be a pretty similar control board setup as you do in your picture. My question is what cables did you reseat that "fixed" your issue? Was it all of the ones you labeled 1-4 or was it any of the cables you did not label in your picture? Also did you ever end up having to "update" your touchpanel to a newer version?

Comment

d2reid

Please see above.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  d2reid

Please see above.

Brian
                  Brian - Dallas has not posted in several weeks/few months as I recall here and the old forum. Hopefully all is well with he and his wife and are simply in an area with no connection or enjoying his time away or moved on. Possibly you and the other moderators know more.

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by KRamos22 View Post
                    Hello d2reid,

I hope you're issue is still in the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mode. I had a question for you if you don't mind. I am having a similar issue on my Momentum and have what appears the be a pretty similar control board setup as you do in your picture. My question is what cables did you reseat that "fixed" your issue? Was it all of the ones you labeled 1-4 or was it any of the cables you did not label in your picture? Also did you ever end up having to "update" your touch panel to a newer version?
                    Unfortunately all of them. About the time I think I have it figured out it's a different wire, or maybe not the wire connections at all. And then it will work for months, as is the case now. Most of the time I can just reach into the area where the control boards are, grab a handful of wires and wiggle, then the icons come back. That works most of the time. Seems like one of those 10,000 wires in there is loose, just can't figure out which one.

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Brian - Dallas has not posted in several weeks/few months as I recall here and the old forum. Hopefully all is well with he and his wife and are simply in an area with no connection or enjoying his time away or moved on. Possibly you and the other moderators know more.

Dan
                    Yup, been offline for a while. Several events happened, none of them particularly bad. My mom passed away, I got caught up in some family drama that has taken a while to resolve, most of my "computer" time has been spent learning, researching, dealing with this. I also got a little RV forum burnout. Seemed like there was nothing new or exciting. To be expected, my Momentum turned 5 last month. There are very few systems left that I have not modified, fixed, replaced, or repaired.

And we have been doing a lot of traveling. Park City, UT, Las Vegas, Houston, Orlando, Nashville, Dallas, and have recently landed at Custer State Park in South Dakota for our summer of volunteer work at the various visitor centers, that took up 2 weeks for training. And I took over management of my stock portfolio, oh boy that has been fun, and very time consuming. I answer PMs that get forwarded to my email account, but haven't been very active.

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Yup, been offline for a while. Several events happened, none of them particularly bad. My mom passed away, I got caught up in some family drama that has taken a while to resolve, most of my "computer" time has been spent learning, researching, dealing with this. I also got a little RV forum burnout. Seemed like there was nothing new or exciting. To be expected, my Momentum turned 5 last month. There are very few systems left that I have not modified, fixed, replaced, or repaired.

And we have been doing a lot of traveling. Park City, UT, Las Vegas, Houston, Orlando, Nashville, Dallas, and have recently landed at Custer State Park in South Dakota for our summer of volunteer work at the various visitor centers, that took up 2 weeks for training. And I took over management of my stock portfolio, oh boy that has been fun, and very time consuming. I answer PMs that get forwarded to my email account, but haven't been very active.
                      Dallas - good to "hear" from you ! You have always been quite busy in retirement and certainly appears this has not changed.

Carol and I may make it out to the Black Hills this summer/early fall. I'll send a PM to learn more about your summer home base, duties, etc.

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                      X