HDMI cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI cable

Satellite cabling. From the wet bay to the cabinet above tv, the coax is installed. There is also a 120AC plug installed. My Wally receiver would set there. One problem, no HDMI cable from the Wally to the TV installed. Contacted customer service, after 30 minutes on the phone their answer was that many customers don’t have satellite receivers so the don’t in stall the cable. My question is why do you bother to install the coax from the wet bay to the cabinet if many customers don’t have satellites. It will be hard to install the HDMI cable after the fact because trying to fish a cable through the wall is not easy.

I've commented to them many times since 2014 about this omission to no avail. So I've run my own HDMI cables. I'd suggest you run two. One for a satellite receiver and one for a bluray player.

Not knowing what unit you have limits installation advice. But on my 2014 and 2017 Reflection units, I got pretty good access by removing the stereo.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

2019 385GK. There is a “raceway” from the next cabinet down to the TV. The access “hole” is small and will have to be enlarged but it’s doable. My complaint is that it should have been installed at the factory. A 10$ cable, a 96k (list) 5th wheeler. Why

Comment

I just had to this on my new 2020 310GK. After a lot of inspection and thought, I pulled the tv off of the lift mechanism. I disconnected the coax from tv, and taped it to the end of a short 15 ft long electrical puller tape ($4 at ACE hardware). Oh, BTW, I previously pulled out the Jenson to see the wire nest in back of it. There is quite a bit of wire attaching the Jensen to everything else, so I laid the Jensen in the open space above where it was mounted.

Pulling on the end of the tv coax that I was accessible behind the Jensen, I pulled the coax up to the Jensen access hole, which dragged the tape up through the hole in the channel, and into the space behind the Jensen.

Important, tape the new HDMI cable to the puller tape below where you taped the coax. I pulling two HDMI cables, tape the second HDMI a couple of inches below the first HDMI cable. This should look a little string of beads attached to the puller tape.

Apply liquid soap, or Vaseline to where the HDMI and Coax are taped to the puller tape. I prefer Vaseline, because liquid soap can dry out if you aren't quick doing the next step.

Pull on the puller tape, and feed the first taped portion into the hole in the back of the Jensen space. You want to be careful, but a moderate consistent pull is best, but pull quickly and hard if the puller tape hangs up in the channel, until everything clears the channel bottom.

Now the really hard part, clean off the Vaseline as best as you can, and then carefully remove all of the tape to free the ends of the coax and HDMI cables. Plug them in to the appropriate input on the tv, put everything back together, and you are done.

I learned this trick when I was an apprentice electrician in my youth in a world long ago and far away.
        Last edited by Jmirage; 01-30-2020, 06:18 PM. Reason: Fix typon

Comment

Originally posted by Jmirage View Post
          ...I learned this trick when I was an apprentice electrician in my youth in a world long ago and far away.
          Another first post where there's help offered--just awesome. Welcome to the forum, Jmirage -- I look forward to reading more from you in the future!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X