2800BH Outdoor Stove - Useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2800BH Outdoor Stove - Useless?

We have a stove which is the “Capital” brand. The stove barely heats a pan. You can really not even cook eggs on this thing.

The flame is there but it really isn’t all that impressive. It has a little pressure behind the gas but not enough in my opinion. Has anyone gotten this thing to work? Or should I just replace it with a black stone. I already have the black stone and love it. Only concern is grease splattering on the RV
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

All About RVs youtube channel addressed this yesterday, they are in a Reflection fifth wheel which uses the same outdoor kitchen that GD uses all the way down to the Transcend line. I found a blackstone at a local hardware store today and will be doing something similar this spring. I haven't used the outside stove top but know that we will seldom, if ever use it.

Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
    2020 Silverado 1500
    2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Here's my thread with my research:
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...utdoor-kitchen
      Youtube video's I watched:
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0395#post30395

Here's where the mod starts (I use mod lightly here)
      https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...1875#post31875
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post
        We have a stove which is the “Capital” brand. The stove barely heats a pan. You can really not even cook eggs on this thing.

The flame is there but it really isn’t all that impressive. It has a little pressure behind the gas but not enough in my opinion. Has anyone gotten this thing to work? Or should I just replace it with a black stone. I already have the black stone and love it. Only concern is grease splattering on the RV
        I have a blackstone and also use my outdoor stove. Mine works just fine if we are not using the stove inside. Using both it can be a little slow to heat up
        2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

MikeG90 , you mention that you have a flame but it isn't all that impressive. Could the problem be a pinched gas line?
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

jwhigham , I might rethink what I'm doing with the stove. I like what he did better than what I did.

Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

i tried to use my outdoor stove a couple of times and wasn't happy with it. Wind, food splatters and such just didn't make it worthwhile to me. And to use it on our Reflection 297RSTS, I had to crawl under the slide out to connect the gas line. I considered putting my Blackstone griddle in it's place, but I like being able to move it around the trailer to get in a wind protected area when needed. I removed the stove and built a storage drawer to take it's place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen before.jpg
Views:	1706
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	41625

Name:	Drawer.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	41626

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I removed the stove and built a storage drawer to take it's place.
                You forgot to mention that this space houses your all-important adult beverage holder, too.

I miss camping and sitting around a fire with friends!

(From the 2019 GD National Rally)

Name:	Friends.JPG
Views:	1261
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	41664
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. I really like the idea of just converting it into a drawer. I’ll just keep my black stone table top on the folding table and this will give me somewhere to put my grilling tools.

I checked the propane line and didn’t find any kinks. The flame just seems a little weak for an outdoor stove. Any amount of breeze just kills the efficiency of the stove.
                  Mike & Kristyn
                  '20 Imagine 2800BH
                  '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                  ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

We have the 297 RSTS and our stove went on vacation without us. I don’t know if it fell out when the door was left open or if somebody stole it. I ordered the stove through our RV dealer and they charged us $495 for it! Now they want another $500 to build the drawer! It looks like the stove is available on Amazon or at Home Depot for $79! I’ve checked the mirror and I don’t have “chump” on my forehead, so that’s that.
                    2021 Refection 297RSTS
                    2020 Ford F150 Turboboost

Comment

Mike & Charlotte

Mike,
                      Building a drawer is not that hard. All you need is a circular saw (table saw is a much better option), a framing square, and tape measure. Most full extension slides take up 7/8" - 1" of space and require the drawer box to be 1" smaller than the opening (regardless of slide thickness). I always cut my side runners first, then hold them together and back measure from the width I need (hold the tape measure on one side of the 2 sides at the correct measurement and read the other) that way the cross pieces are the right length. Then cut the top plate (just measure the box after you assemble it and attach. Lastly fix the drawer front to the box.

If you need any assistance, reply and someone here or myself can probably help. Drawers are more intimidating than anything.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Charlotte View Post
                        We have the 297 RSTS and our stove went on vacation without us. I don’t know if it fell out when the door was left open or if somebody stole it. I ordered the stove through our RV dealer and they charged us $495 for it! Now they want another $500 to build the drawer! It looks like the stove is available on Amazon or at Home Depot for $79! I’ve checked the mirror and I don’t have “chump” on my forehead, so that’s that.
                        Mike - I built my drawer for about $20 in lumber and used a cheap table saw to make the cuts. I used the slide hardware from the stove, and the front of the drawer is actually the wood from the stove platform.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and don’t have the space or tools to build the drawer myself. I would think it would be available from Grand Design, but it’s not.
                          2021 Refection 297RSTS
                          2020 Ford F150 Turboboost

Comment

You can probably get all of the parts cut at the local box store, then next time you are out in the unit, screw the parts together to make the drawer.

Expensive alternative is find a local custom cabinet shop or handy man (trim installer) to build the drawer for you. For one drawer, you could cut everything for the drawer by hand (not fast) while camping and use the scrap wood pieces as firewood.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

We have no use for an outdoor kitchen but an outside fridge would be a plus if it operated on LP.

We have met folks that do not cook inside their rigs and some that have never used the shower and toilet. So there are a variety of preferences out there.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X