Kitchen issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen issues

I have a 2021 Solitude 310gk. just wondering does anyone else have a problem with their kitchen island?. Ours is falling apart. Working on getting it replaced with Grand Design.

Originally posted by 60hud View Post
    I have a 2021 Solitude 310gk. just wondering does anyone else have a problem with their kitchen island?. Ours is falling apart. Working on getting it replaced with Grand Design.
    Unfortunately not a new topic. The YouTube channel Liz Amazing has a video about their island's failure in a 310GK.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My wife did a little research into this and asked me to add these 1x2 pieces of wood to support the cabinet. I didn't look into this myself so I can't verify if it helps support the island properly but my wife is pretty sharp and she's confident this will work. Matching stain arrives later today so it should look more or less OEM once it's stained. I put two of these on each end of the island.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet supports.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	48494
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        My wife did a little research into this and asked me to add these 1x2 pieces of wood to support the cabinet. I didn't look into this myself so I can't verify if it helps support the island properly but my wife is pretty sharp and she's confident this will work. Matching stain arrives later today so it should look more or less OEM once it's stained. I put two of these on each end of the island.

Name:	cabinet supports.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	48494
        Can you share what brand/color stain you are getting and where you are getting it. Your cabinets look like the same color as my 2020 Reflection. I've not had any luck finding out what brand/color it is.

Thanks
        Terry
        Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
        2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
        2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post
          Can you share what brand/color stain you are getting and where you are getting it.
          My wife asked me to order Minwax Jacobean 2750. It's her project. I'm just doing the labor :-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

My wife asked me to order Minwax Jacobean 2750. It's her project. I'm just doing the labor :-)

TY. (or tell your wife thank you. 😊) I'll give that a whirl.
            Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
            2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
            2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

bertschb Those 1x2 supports will help if they extend out to support the end of the island (you may need to notch the 1x2) it will help keep the load out of the nails that cause de-lamination. If there is an internal piece of plywood that extends from the countertop to the cabinet floor that is on top of those 1x2, it will help.

See my post (#8) https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...solitude-310gk that helps explain the issue with the island.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Those 1x2 supports will help if they extend out to support the end of the island
                This is what the 1x2's support. I'm working on a different project right now and literally did nothing more than cut these pieces of wood and screw them in. I know the end panel is decorative but didn't look any further than that.

Name:	IMG_3225.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	48533
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

If the strip of darker wood in the middle is a second end panel, you are good. you may want to check both ends as the drawer end may be different from the sink end (drawers hid stuff).
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Is this only an issue on Solitude models or are the Reflection Travel Trailers also potentially affected. I would hate to have my island crash during a trip especially now that I know about it and can do something about it before it happens.

Rob
                    Rob & Barb
                    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

This is what the 1x2's support. I'm working on a different project right now and literally did nothing more than cut these pieces of wood and screw them in. I know the end panel is decorative but didn't look any further than that.

Name:	IMG_3225.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	48533
                      I looked closely at my Solitude 382WB (came off the line early February). Mine is identical to the picture. In the picture, you see 3 pieces of wood. The closest is a 3/4" x 3/4" that has wall paper wrapped on three sides. The visible side is the 4th side of it. The next piece is the panel that goes all the way to the counter top. The 3rd is the outer panel. It's hard to tell, but it looks to me like there is a gap between the added 1x2 and the middle panel. A snug/tight connection to the center panel would be required to remove the stress on the screws.

I am going to make this mod to my island before we take our first trip at the end of this month.
                      Paul & Julie Maia
                      2021 GD Solitude 382WBR (Off the line 18 Jan 2021)
                      Reese Goose Box
                      2020 F350 Dually Diesel.
                      Southwest Louisiana

Comment

The gap between the panels is for utilities if needed. I would not be surprised if the inner wall is the one that carries the load and the outer decorative raised panel is just decoration and not load carrying.

A less visible solution is to install "post" between the floor and the countertop and fasten to the walls. You could screw it in place even if the screws are a bit long and go through the thinner panel they are just there to stabilize the post.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

How did this match your finish?
                          2021 Solitude 382WB

Comment

Originally posted by Idaholife View Post
                            How did this match your finish?
                            I think it matched pretty well. I think the final color depends on the wood you use. Since it's at floor level, I wasn't too concerned about the color match.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3363.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	54750
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Well we are starting to load up and get ready for a trip. Looked under the sink to grab a knife to do a seal check on the fridge doors and noticed the cabinet divider was pushed away from the bottom shelf a bit.
                              Pulled out a scrap of pine and went in the drawer area and added it behind the divider at the bottom to keep this from happening again. Yes I intentionally overdrove the screws because they are a bit short, only need to hold till the glue cures.
                              Hardest thing was I had to pull the drawer slides out for driver clearance.
                              Also while in there I noticed that the end and face are held to the bottom with a few wide crown staples (look in the 20 gauge or smaller size) so I added a couple of screws between the support board and the end frame to prevent these from separating and having issues. Luckily we do not load the drawers heavy.

Name:	20210606_125127.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	56635

Name:	20210606_125611.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	56636

Name:	20210606_125752.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	56634

Name:	20210606_130042.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	56637
                              Hard to see the screws, but there is one right in front of the driver, one in the middle, and one just out of the frame. All driven cross ways into the face frame so the screws are in shear not tension and will hold up the end of the island better.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X