OneConnect, Verizon, or Samsung Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneConnect, Verizon, or Samsung Issue

We've had our M399TH for about 5 months now. Up until Sunday I've been able to connect to the OneConnect wifi and Verizon data network at the same time on my Samsung S8 phone. The OneConnect is the only device on that wifi.

Yesterday, when connecting to the OneConnect, my 4G symbol went "dark", and I lost cellular network data connection. When I turned off wifi, the 4G came back. I have changed nothing on my phone or OneConnect settings. I am not hot spotting when connecting.

I've restarted the phone, looked for unplanned updates, and nada. It's maddening.

Any ideas?
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 Momentum 399th, built 8/20
    2020 Ram 3500 MC DRW 4x4, 6.7 HO
    Going full time 11/1

I hope DarnDave sees your post and chimes in. I don't have a clue...
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_N View Post
      We've had our M399TH for about 5 months now. Up until Sunday I've been able to connect to the OneConnect wifi and Verizon data network at the same time on my Samsung S8 phone. The OneConnect is the only device on that wifi.

Yesterday, when connecting to the OneConnect, my 4G symbol went "dark", and I lost cellular network data connection. When I turned off wifi, the 4G came back. I have changed nothing on my phone or OneConnect settings. I am not hot spotting when connecting.

I've restarted the phone, looked for unplanned updates, and nada. It's maddening.

Any ideas?
      I am guessing you have a hotspot or other device you are using to connect to the Internet? Something other than your phone. Do you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone. When enabled you have no need to connect to the Cellular network because your cellular data is being transmitted over WiFi so your 4G connection may be turning off automatically.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

I am guessing you have a hotspot or other device you are using to connect to the Internet? Something other than your phone. Do you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone. When enabled you have no need to connect to the Cellular network because your cellular data is being transmitted over WiFi so your 4G connection may be turning off automatically.
        When I need more capability than my phone (i.e., for my laptop or my wife wants internet connection for her tablet), I turn my phone's hotspot on. Other than that, I use my phone for all internet activities. After 30GB of hotspot, Verizon throttles speed to 600kbps.

I have not enabled wifi calling. I try to minimize hot spot usage because it sucks phone battery power. I shopped around for a Verizon true unlimited plan with router (like Nomad), but none were available for the Verizon network.

When I have the wifi turned on (dependingwhere we are), the only device on that network is the OneConnect. Nothing has changed locally for this. I don't know what's changed elsewhere. In hindsight, I'm really regretting that GD didn't deploy the bluetooth solution into the Momentum product line.

All I know for sure is it all worked great for 5 months, until yesterday. So I'm curious if anyone else that connects in a similar manner has experienced the same thing, and if they knew what changed.
        Chuck & Madelyn
        Going full time 11/1

Comment

Check your WiFi preferences. You want to make sure 'Use Mobile Data when WiFi has no internet access' is enable.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
            Check your WiFi preferences. You want to make sure 'Use Mobile Data when WiFi has no internet access' is enable.
            Done that. No change. The moment I turn wifi on, it drops the 4G network connection. Turn wifi off, it comes back.

Bizarre!
            Chuck & Madelyn
            Going full time 11/1

Comment

Good old Samsung must have updated something. Works fine on m Pixel on Verizon.
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Chuck_N , here I am. Was on the road last week and haven't been on here; sorry for the delay. I don't think the issue is with your phone, or any other "outside" electronic gizmo. Your one connect system generates its own local wifi, which your phone will sync with once the app is properly loaded. (FWIW, I can't load the app on my phone for my new Solitude, as the app does not like any of the password info provided with the trailer. Dealer knew nothing about it. Functions are so limited on my version that I really don't care! There is nothing there that I am interested in operating from my phone). From experience, I am guessing something went south on the one control side of things. How is everything working from its own touchscreen? If all is good there, I would first try a reset of the system from the touch panel. On mine, there was a small button to press with a paper clip or similar. You can also try calling Lippert (574.537.8900 they are in Indiana). They are really good on the phone, but tend to like to blame the touchscreen (and send you a replacement) if they can't seem to get you up and running. I'm thinking it is the one control as if there is no wifi for your phone to connect to, then it can't. The reset may get it going again. One last thing is to step a short distance away from your unit (15-20 feet) and try to connect. If your phone will connect to other wifi networks, then I doubt that is your issue. Good luck, Dave
                Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

DarnDave, thank for the response. TBH, I don't have any idea what the issue is. The LCI works, so I can't complain about that. I do have the phone setting configured such that it reverts to mobile data if it can't get to the internet via wifi. It's just not doing it. Very strange. It's just one of those little things that gets under my skin.
                  Chuck & Madelyn
                  Going full time 11/1

Comment

Whatever you do, do not move to AT&T. The closest system to two tin cans and a string. Will be dumping them asap.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Whatever you do, do not move to AT&T. The closest system to two tin cans and a string. Will be dumping them asap.

Jim
                      Not even considering that. Verizon has the widest 4G coverage, so we're sticking with them... until Starlink comes out.
                      Chuck & Madelyn
                      Going full time 11/1

Comment

These settings are for an older android where they may still apply.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-97134/

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-210743/

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
                          Chuck_N , here I am. Was on the road last week and haven't been on here; sorry for the delay. I don't think the issue is with your phone, or any other "outside" electronic gizmo. Your one connect system generates its own local wifi, which your phone will sync with once the app is properly loaded. (FWIW, I can't load the app on my phone for my new Solitude, as the app does not like any of the password info provided with the trailer. Dealer knew nothing about it. Functions are so limited on my version that I really don't care! There is nothing there that I am interested in operating from my phone). From experience, I am guessing something went south on the one control side of things. How is everything working from its own touchscreen? If all is good there, I would first try a reset of the system from the touch panel. On mine, there was a small button to press with a paper clip or similar. You can also try calling Lippert (574.537.8900 they are in Indiana). They are really good on the phone, but tend to like to blame the touchscreen (and send you a replacement) if they can't seem to get you up and running. I'm thinking it is the one control as if there is no wifi for your phone to connect to, then it can't. The reset may get it going again. One last thing is to step a short distance away from your unit (15-20 feet) and try to connect. If your phone will connect to other wifi networks, then I doubt that is your issue. Good luck, Dave
                          On Android Devices, you can connect to a Wifi device and if that device (like the One Control) does not have internet access, it will remain connected but use 4G from the carrier.

In Chuck's case, something went sideways. I can verify it's not a Verizon issue because it's working fine with on my Pixel 4a. Samsung (who is notorious for breaking things on their updates) must have done something in an update a broke the feature.

Chuck, what model Samsung do you have?
                          2020 Momentum 351M
                          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                          X