Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to add Washer/Dryer in our 2021 397TH-R - Help with Dryer Vent install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to add Washer/Dryer in our 2021 397TH-R - Help with Dryer Vent install.

Hello All,

First post, have had our 397 since December 30, 2020 and have since stayed in it for about a month with 2 trips. Love it thus far but decided we want a washer and dryer set up. looking to do it ourselves and buy a Splendide stackable.

Anyone have pictures/drawings/suggestions for the install, specifically routing of the dryer vent?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by howson; 05-27-2021, 04:27 PM.

Originally posted by CLW397TH View Post
    Hello All,

First post, have had our 397 since December 30, 2020 and have since stayed in it for about a month with 2 trips. Love it thus far but decided we want a washer and dryer set up. looking to do it ourselves and buy a Splendide stackable.

Anyone have pictures/drawings/suggestions for the install, specifically routing of the dryer vent?

Thanks in advance!
    There have been many threads on this topic, but none specific to the 397TH (that I can remember). The 376TH has a different floorplan, but the thread may help to understand the challenge that may lie ahead: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...h-washer-dryer If RV Tech Ret sees your post I'm sure he'll chime in with more info (post #4 in the linked thread has a comprehensive post from him).

The 310GK's (Solitude) closet is closer to what the 397TH's configuration, so possibly bertschb (Brian) can help. Hopefully you won't have the same challenge he was confronted with! His thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-a-2020-310gk

Since that was your first post, please take a moment and check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Our w/d prep is in the garage on the back side of the half bath. From your floor plan it looks like the garage on the backside of your bath would be a fairly easy place to retrofit for w/d hookup.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
        Our w/d prep is in the garage on the back side of the half bath. From your floor plan it looks like the garage on the backside of your bath would be a fairly easy place to retrofit for w/d hookup.
        We already have a closet in the front bedroom, was just looking for help with how/where to run the dryer vent. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

There have been many threads on this topic, but none specific to the 397TH (that I can remember). The 376TH has a different floorplan, but the thread may help to understand the challenge that may lie ahead: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...h-washer-dryer If RV Tech Ret sees your post I'm sure he'll chime in with more info (post #4 in the linked thread has a comprehensive post from him).

The 310GK's (Solitude) closet is closer to what the 397TH's configuration, so possibly bertschb (Brian) can help. Hopefully you won't have the same challenge he was confronted with! His thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-a-2020-310gk

Since that was your first post, please take a moment and check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
          Hi and Thanks. I did see those two threads before I posted (used search as well for my model). I called GD and they are going to send a wall cutout schematic for my vin but was hoping someone else actually had done an install and could give me some hints before I saw that hole! Thanks.

Comment

Did you ever get anything helpful from GD? We are in the same spot right now and seeking more info.

2021 397TH

Comment

Maybe one of the mods can compare the drawings of the 397TH and my 390 and tell us if the W/D compartment is the same. From looking at the floor plans, I believe that they are, but want a second and third opinion before I start putting in measurements.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by CLW397TH View Post

Hi and Thanks. I did see those two threads before I posted (used search as well for my model). I called GD and they are going to send a wall cutout schematic for my vin but was hoping someone else actually had done an install and could give me some hints before I saw that hole! Thanks.
                Did you ever do your installation? I have the two Splendide sitting in my garage going in this week. The opening under the hookups goes right out the side and where I plan on putting my vent. I want to make sure they fit before doing any cutting. I've seen pictures of them installed in the 2021 397TH, but nothing about having to cut anything out, etc. I hope I just need to remove the door (to make the install easier), shelves, clothes rod for them to slide in, I purchased the mounting feet to lock the washer in, and the stacking kit for the dryer.

Comment

Wavecruzer79

I have deleted the 2 posts that contained the drawings that I am guessing that Grand Design had provided you. These drawings are not allowed to be posted on any public venue.

Thank you

Brian , Moderator
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Wavecruzer79 View Post

Did you ever do your installation? I have the two Splendide sitting in my garage going in this week. The opening under the hookups goes right out the side and where I plan on putting my vent. I want to make sure they fit before doing any cutting. I've seen pictures of them installed in the 2021 397TH, but nothing about having to cut anything out, etc. I hope I just need to remove the door (to make the install easier), shelves, clothes rod for them to slide in, I purchased the mounting feet to lock the washer in, and the stacking kit for the dryer.
                    CLW397TH 's last recorded activity was back in February. Not unusual as this forum is typically frequently by those with an issue and once resolved they go back to enjoying camping or whatever. I have read where installing in a closet like your 397 can be quite a challenge.

ThePowells (Jerry) is a regular here and has a 390RK Solitude with a similar closet setup. He installed a washer and dryer so I expect him to see the tag I just entered and he'll chime in shortly.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

CLW397TH 's last recorded activity was back in February. Not unusual as this forum is typically frequently by those with an issue and once resolved they go back to enjoying camping or whatever. I have read where installing in a closet like your 397 can be quite a challenge.

ThePowells (Jerry) is a regular here and has a 390RK Solitude with a similar closet setup. He installed a washer and dryer so I expect him to see the tag I just entered and he'll chime in shortly.

Howard
                      Thanks howson appreciate the effort. Sorry Country Campers I didn't know, I was just trying to help others. On my unit, I unscrewed the access port and apparently where the dryer vent is supposed to go, and there was no "Drill here +" sticker, luckily the drawling helped... kinda. I was able to have my wife finger tap the wall and I felt it outside and it's in a safe area.

Comment

Wavecruzer79 I can take some pics showing the outside measurements and try to see what I can provide from the inside. You will have to remove the door and the framing on that side. When it goes in, I strongly suggest taping this towels or a heavy blanket around each door jamb and also cover the dresser at that end. The vinyl wrapping around the door frame is very sensitive to contact with hard objects. You may want to consider removing the frame on the other side. Our dealer installed two different power strips for ours and I strongly suggest installing cut off valves somewhere in the line in the pass thru. Mine are just above the opening when I open the door.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thanks Jerry, it sounds like we need some install pictures on this forum for the 379TH. I'll try and get some back on here when the work is all done.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavecruzer79 View Post
                            Thanks Jerry, it sounds like we need some install pictures on this forum for the 379TH. I'll try and get some back on here when the work is all done.
                            That would be awesome, Wavecruzer! Documenting projects and sharing lessons learned is what this owners' forum is all about.

Comment

Wavecruzer79 I apologize for the delay. Work, life, and sleep get in the way sometimes. I went "backwards" (reverse engineering as it was) and worked it out for you. Starting at the screw at the bottom of the front cap molding to the center of the vent is 10 1/4 inches. This is point A to B. Point B to C is 21 3/16. This is a vertical measurement from the bottom of the rail to the center of the vent. Just so you know how I got here was I measured from the screw to a level lined up with the center of the vent, then went vertical from that point to the vent.

I have no way to measure from the inside until the next time the washer and dryer are out of the space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dryer vent 1.png
Views:	836
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	55384Click image for larger version

Name:	dryer vent 2.png
Views:	829
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	55385Click image for larger version

Name:	Dryer vent overview points.png
Views:	851
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	55386
                              Attached Files
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                              X