Winegard Gateway 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winegard Gateway 1000

We just purchased a Reflection 295RL and are contemplating getting the Gateway 1000. What are peoples thoughts on this product? Have you had issues with it, is it best to have it installed by the dealership, does it perform well or is it only a mediocre performing gateway? Is there a different product that you would use for have Internet access?

Thanks!

Ted & Jean
    2021 Reflection 295RL
    2021 Ford F350 Lariat

Ted & Jean
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 295RL
    2021 F350 SC, STB, 4x4, 6.7 Oxford White

fishboy2e Welcome to the family and the forum Ted and Jean! I'm sorry that I can't prodide an intelligent answer to your question.
    The moderators had taken the time and put forth a welcome letter for new members to help them navigate the forum and have the best possible experience. If you haven't already found it, it is at Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by fishboy2e View Post
      We just purchased a Reflection 295RL and are contemplating getting the Gateway 1000. What are peoples thoughts on this product? Have you had issues with it, is it best to have it installed by the dealership, does it perform well or is it only a mediocre performing gateway? Is there a different product that you would use for have Internet access?
      Hello Ted & Jean! My Winegard Air 360+ and Gateway Router Installation in 315RLTS thread at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts may give you a few ideas.

For overall performance on mobile internet components, a great resource is the Mobile Internet Resource Center at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Again, welcome!

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Ted and Jean,

I am looking at the exact same thing, and I understand your questions from the threads you have been reading, If you look at the latest and greatest technology then this product may not be the best product. For me I am moving forward with the purchase and intend to install it myself. I believe this product will do exactly what it is supposed to do and also will have NO wires to deal with , no router to position often because the signal may not be optimal.

Since the Wingard has antennas on the roof I believe it will have a stronger signal than a cell phone on the kitchen table. Of course if you are in the middle of nowhere then whatever product you choose may not give the signal you would like to have.

Just my 2 cents. BTW I do work in computers network professionally I belieive this will be fine.

Have a great summer and enjoy your new toys

Comment

OK so on the New 303 there is not an inside panel on the Wineguard. Guess if I choose to add the wifi repeater, I'll have to pull the roof unit off and drill a hole through.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            OK so on the New 303 there is not an inside panel on the Wineguard. Guess if I choose to add the wifi repeater, I'll have to pull the roof unit off and drill a hole through.
            That may mean you have a Winegard Air 360, not a Winegard Air 360+. Huge difference. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...1579#post31579

If there's no plate in the ceiling below the Winegard it's not the plus, which is surprising on a Reflection.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson There is a plate, must have missed it due to the newness and color. The inside cover is only about 3" round.

It is a 360+ V2.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard-360.jpg
Views:	1805
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	45269

Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 Glad you found the plate & wish you luck on the install. Please keep us updated on your install, if you have time.

We have a 2021 303 with the Air 360+ installed and it's not installed right, except I didn't realize it until AFTER we switched wireless carriers to Verizon (at considerable cost) to be compatible with the Gateway!!
                Our small access plate on our ceiling is installed in the worst place possible.

Where is yours placed on the ceiling? Can you provide a picture?
                If you figure out where the wires come from & go to please let us know. I will do the same.

howson In your experience, Is this a common occurrence with GD or did I just get help from 2 different reps having a bad day?
                Grand Design customer service has been ZERO help. After speaking to a rep, I emailed detailed questions and pictures of our unit. Two additional emails, 3 phone messages and 13 calendar days later Grand Design provided the following, "I see what you are saying. Prep means prepped but not finished. It is up to you or the dealership to complete the install. I am attaching the install instructions to this email. Hope that this is helpful to what you are needing."
                None of my questions were even attempted to be answered...worst customer service I've experienced in a very long time!!

See pictures attached of where the hole in our ceiling is and the 1 unlabeled, continuous wire that goes forward and aft that Grand Design has no info on.
                I guess customers are to "figure it out"

Would have been so much easier if they "pre-wired" the 12v with end caps or bell caps & labeled where power was coming from. Jeez, even a 1 page instruction page could be tied to the wires in the ceiling.
                Attached Files
                Sadie & Matt
                (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
                2021 303 RLS
                2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
                Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by S&M_G View Post
                  [USER="5974"]Would have been so much easier if they "pre-wired" the 12v with end caps or bell caps & labeled where power was coming from. Jeez, even a 1 page instruction page could be tied to the wires in the ceiling.
                  Not the norm by a long shot (interaction with Customer Service) but you're not the first to complain about what GD considers "prepped" and what an end user considers "prepped".

Howard

GDRV-Mariah -- feedback for the Reflection team (and Customer Service) in post #8. This is far from the first complaint documented on the forum about how the 360 Air + is "prepped" in GD units.

Comment

@S&M_G I did not do the install of the gateway. Still contemplating it. If you search for gateway install there is a nice long thread with several inputs as to where to get power (its not that yellow and white wire IIRC). And Yes, my cover is in about the same place.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

If that was mine, I would see how long the antenna wires are and drill a hole on the other side of the roofing trim strip for the wires to exit. I would leave the cap in place. I would mount the Gateway to the other side of the roof trim strip.
                      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        @S&M_G I did not do the install of the gateway. Still contemplating it. If you search for gateway install there is a nice long thread with several inputs as to where to get power (its not that yellow and white wire IIRC). And Yes, my cover is in about the same place.
                        Ok, thanks. Read the threads & seems there is little standardization with respect to wiring. What makes you say it's NOT the yellow/white wire? That was the wire that was zip tied to the Wi-Fi ceiling cap when I pulled it down. I have yet to use a meter to check power or try to trace it...dealing with refrigerator that died.
                        Sadie & Matt
                        2021 303 RLS
                        Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

@S&M_G read through the threads. A lot of people have found the wire to be switched with the overhead lights for some reason. You may get lucky and yours be the constant hot.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
                            If that was mine, I would see how long the antenna wires are and drill a hole on the other side of the roofing trim strip for the wires to exit. I would leave the cap in place. I would mount the Gateway to the other side of the roof trim strip.
                            Yeah, we thought to do that but the wires that connect to the gateway coming from the Air360+ are not long enough. I'm looking into a possible splice or making an extension with the same connectors.
                            Sadie & Matt
                            2021 303 RLS
                            Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

If you must use the existing hole, you can easily cut the rubber ceiling trim right at the bracket edges that you will mount to the ceiling. The rest of the Gateway will still fit nicely. That way you can mount it as intended and it will still fit flat to the ceiling. The Gateway snaps/slides/locks onto the bracket.
                              2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                              1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                              2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Working...
                              X