Winegard Gateway 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
    If you must use the existing hole, you can easily cut the rubber ceiling trim right at the bracket edges that you will mount to the ceiling. The rest of the Gateway will still fit nicely. That way you can mount it as intended and it will still fit flat to the ceiling. The Gateway snaps/slides/locks onto the bracket.
    Thanks. I wondered how hard it would be to cut the molding. We could try that.
    Bigger problem is gateway is 8” x 8” and where “WiFi Prep” hole was cut, the bracket likely will & Gateway definitely will overlap the ceiling light by at least 4” when installed.
    I guess we can live with that as it’s an LED light (no heat) but still didn’t seem like the right location to have owners on a new RV cover a ceiling light to install the Gateway that the prep hole was designed to use with.
    Sadie & Matt
    (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
    2021 303 RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E4D4122E-F1FF-4230-AA60-B55631D21778.jpeg
Views:	1614
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	48770Click image for larger version

Name:	EF9979E9-2D00-40F1-836D-EF5E6C84CC70.jpeg
Views:	1646
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	48769 Photo of bracket - hole is at edge of Gateway -
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E4D4122E-F1FF-4230-AA60-B55631D21778.jpeg
Views:	1614
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	48770Click image for larger version

Name:	EF9979E9-2D00-40F1-836D-EF5E6C84CC70.jpeg
Views:	1646
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	48769 Photo of bracket - hole is at edge of Gateway -
        Sweet! Yours is installed much better. We don’t have that separation from hole to ceiling light. (See my pics in post #8)
        Did you add the switch to the Gateway? Was it difficult cutting through the housing?

what trailer do you have? Your prep hole is in much different location than ours.
        Sadie & Matt
        2021 303 RLS
        Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

We have a 2021 S-2930RL. The switch mounts through a 1/2" circular hole - very easy to drill through the cover and mount the switch. The wiring for the switch is right there where the power is fed through. I bought the switch at an Advanced Auto Parts store.
          2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
          1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
          2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

We have a 2021 S-2930RL. The switch mounts through a 1/2" circular hole - very easy to drill through the cover and mount the switch. The wiring for the switch is right there where the power is fed through. I bought the switch at an Advanced Auto Parts store.
            Excellent!! Will do the same with the switch on ours. Thank you!
            Sadie & Matt
            2021 303 RLS
            Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Morning guys.

great info so far but I find that all of my reaches question are not all answered. I did get delivery of my new 295RL and now I need to install my router since I will be working remotely in my new Granddesign. I did open the plate and found 3 long antenna connection and 1 yellow and white cable tied to the cover. So my questions are:
              - Is the yellow and white the 12V source for the router ?
              - Is the power being switch if so where is the switch
              - Do I install the supplied power switch with the router ?

I really don't want to open any walls or ceiling , as far asking my dealer to do the job ......well not a great idea ( read between the lines ) .
              The other dealer is about 200 miles away.

Thanks guys and have a great safe day

Comment

Originally posted by Gleourdais View Post
                Morning guys.

great info so far but I find that all of my reaches question are not all answered. I did get delivery of my new 295RL and now I need to install my router since I will be working remotely in my new Granddesign. I did open the plate and found 3 long antenna connection and 1 yellow and white cable tied to the cover. So my questions are:
                - Is the yellow and white the 12V source for the router ?
                - Is the power being switch if so where is the switch
                - Do I install the supplied power switch with the router ?

I really don't want to open any walls or ceiling , as far asking my dealer to do the job ......well not a great idea ( read between the lines ) .
                The other dealer is about 200 miles away.

Thanks guys and have a great safe day
                The yellow and white SHOULD be non switched 12v power, but there’s been some comments that some peoples were switched with a light or missing 12v completely. Only way to tell us to cut it and check with a meter. You’ll need to cut the cable and slice it back together, adding the wire for the router.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Neil just got a call from gdrv support and they are saying the wire is a 12v loop and SHOULD be not switch. I will install my router this weekend.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Gleourdais View Post
                    Thanks Neil just got a call from gdrv support and they are saying the wire is a 12v loop and SHOULD be not switch. I will install my router this weekend.

Thanks for the help
                    Please let us know how you make out, I am actually doing the same and have all the same questions.
                    Thank you!

Comment

Installed the winegard router two days ago and so far happy with the unit.

The 12V power cable is the loop for the maxx fan labeled fuse. It is right in next to the entry light and smoke detector but the entry light never gets used. On the unit the yellow wire was positive, but I don't know if that is standard.
                      Did not install on/off switch, we full time and leave the router on full time.

The unit replaced a nighthawk mr1100 router that was not working very well, plus we wanted the outside antenna capabilities. I think service is is about average but having far less disconnects.

2021 Momentum 395 MS-R

Comment

Originally posted by S&M_G View Post

Yeah, we thought to do that but the wires that connect to the gateway coming from the Air360+ are not long enough. I'm looking into a possible splice or making an extension with the same connectors.
                        The connector is MCX (Micro-CoaX), if you internet search around you can find cables with those connectors. Be careful though, the connector looks similar to others, like TS9, and MMCX but those won't fit.
                        Regarding splicing: don't do it, a quick/easy/cheap splice will cause a poor signal (high attenuation and signal loss). A good splice requires skilled labor and expensive equipment. Just by the cable.
                        In either case-- keep the cables as short as possible, for best signal.
                        2021 397TH
                        2021 F350 6.7L DRW

Comment

Originally posted by kenton View Post

The connector is MCX (Micro-CoaX), if you internet search around you can find cables with those connectors. Be careful though, the connector looks similar to others, like TS9, and MMCX but those won't fit.
                          Regarding splicing: don't do it, a quick/easy/cheap splice will cause a poor signal (high attenuation and signal loss). A good splice requires skilled labor and expensive equipment. Just by the cable.
                          In either case-- keep the cables as short as possible, for best signal.
                          Thank you very much!!!
                          Sadie & Matt
                          2021 303 RLS
                          Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

HI All,

I had the Router installed by my dealer and they told me that the wires were not installed correctly from the factory and they are billing GD for 3 hours of labor to rewire... Oh well, not my problem...

Anyway, the router is working great on both Wireless connectivity to a local wireless connection and to 4GLTE connection. The 2 places I used the wireless connections to the the local wireless network both throttled the connections to the guests. Using the Router it seems to keep the connection better even when connected to the local network that is throttled, so it is handling buffering better.

So far so good...

Ted & Jean
                            2021 Grand Design Reflection 295RL
                            2021 F350 SC, STB, 4x4, 6.7 Oxford White

Comment

I am at a loss, fishboy2e stated ,

“I had the Router installed by my dealer and they told me that the wires were not installed correctly from the factory and they are billing GD for 3 hours of labor to rewire... Oh well, not my problem”

My dealer opened the puck up and recognized that it was not wired correctly then told me they would not install the router. Under the puck there is only two antenna wires and the continuous power line. I think I can deal with all of that except fishing for the third antenna wire. I am not comfortable opening the roof antenna on a new 303 RLS.

How or who can install the Winegard router other than the dealer without affecting the warranty?

VinnyB
                              2021 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
                              2020 Ram 2500
                              TheRealVinnyB - Vince Barnard
                              2021 GD 303RLS
                              2020 Ram 2500 HD
                              Yukon OK

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealVinnyB View Post
                                I am at a loss, fishboy2e stated ,

“I had the Router installed by my dealer and they told me that the wires were not installed correctly from the factory and they are billing GD for 3 hours of labor to rewire... Oh well, not my problem”

My dealer opened the puck up and recognized that it was not wired correctly then told me they would not install the router. Under the puck there is only two antenna wires and the continuous power line. I think I can deal with all of that except fishing for the third antenna wire. I am not comfortable opening the roof antenna on a new 303 RLS.

How or who can install the Winegard router other than the dealer without affecting the warranty?

VinnyB
                                2021 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
                                2020 Ram 2500
                                Removing the Winegard is a very simple task any dealership's most junior tech should be able to accomplish in 30 minutes or less. The "hard" part is removing the sealant around the unit. If one of the Winegard's wires got tucked somewhere it can't be reached, removing the Winegard (to "fix" the wiring) is simple. Utterly ridiculous that the dealer won't do this for you.

If the 12v power is not there...I kind of understand the dealer's position. This is not a simple task, though some here (Houdini descendants?) have managed to snake a 12v line over to the Winegard.

Call GD Customer Service and get a case started. Email your contact at GD with pictures of the issue the dealer will not fix for you. Perhaps GD will authorize a mobile repair technician or will give you the verbal approval to do this yourself without worrying about the warranty. It really is a simple job.

Check out my thread on how I installed the Winegard and router myself (replacing the OEM King antenna) to see pics on how easy it was. That thread was referenced in post #3 of this thread. For your convenience here it is again: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts

Howard
                                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X