No announcement yet.

Winegard Gateway 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a lot of excellent tips and comments on how to work around a poor design/install. I am very much in agreement with the post that stated that there is a gulf between what GD calls prepped and what an end user expects with prepped. I am pretty handy and have done lots of projects from plumbing to construction to electrical (not on RV’s yet) and when I saw prepped for the gateway, I purchased it and was ready to install. However, as is clear in all of these (and other posts), there is a lot of work involved in working around the prepped installation. I just did not want to deal with it. Having no instructions from GD or wiring diagrams and having the access port installed too close to a light and ceiling molding, I returned the gateway and went with another option that works just fine. I have no issues with the 360+ mounted on the roof…we get decent performance out of that, but a whole portion of that system is now being unused. Yes…I could have worked for quite a bit to make the install work. Yes…I could have had the dealer install it. I didn’t want the hassle of the installation and the dealer is so busy just cranking out new RV’s, getting them to install it would take forever.

So…to sum up my experience…the 360+ works well for TV and radio coverage. Unless you want to spend hours doing an install and possibly finding out that things were wired wrong at the factory…and you really want the Gateway 1000…then pay the dealer to install it prior to pickup. As I am sure all of you that already have RV’s know…trying to get them serviced at a dealership is tough these days. They are just too busy selling new ones.

I do wish that GD would pay better attention to such details. I am now very wary as to how well “prepped” our solar wiring is. That is an adventure yet to come.

WE LOVE our RV despite these little things. And I keep reminding myself…these are all little things in a bigger picture.

Tiki Al
    Alan and Julie Hartford
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
    2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

GDRV-Mariah post 31 is good feedback for the Reflection team (as well as the other lines).

Howard

P.S. WickedJulesTikiAl -- thanks for taking the time to post.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by WickedJulesTikiAl View Post
        There are a lot of excellent tips and comments on how to work around a poor design/install. I am very much in agreement with the post that stated that there is a gulf between what GD calls prepped and what an end user expects with prepped. I am pretty handy and have done lots of projects from plumbing to construction to electrical (not on RV’s yet) and when I saw prepped for the gateway, I purchased it and was ready to install. However, as is clear in all of these (and other posts), there is a lot of work involved in working around the prepped installation. I just did not want to deal with it. Having no instructions from GD or wiring diagrams and having the access port installed too close to a light and ceiling molding, I returned the gateway and went with another option that works just fine. I have no issues with the 360+ mounted on the roof…we get decent performance out of that, but a whole portion of that system is now being unused. Yes…I could have worked for quite a bit to make the install work. Yes…I could have had the dealer install it. I didn’t want the hassle of the installation and the dealer is so busy just cranking out new RV’s, getting them to install it would take forever.

TSo…to sum up my experience…the 360+ works well for TV and radio coverage. Unless you want to spend hours doing an install and possibly finding out that things were wired wrong at the factory…and you really want the Gateway 1000…then pay the dealer to install it prior to pickup. As I am sure all of you that already have RV’s know…trying to get them serviced at a dealership is tough these days. They are just too busy selling new ones.

I do wish that GD would pay better attention to such details. I am now very wary as to how well “prepped” our solar wiring is. That is an adventure yet to come.

WE LOVE our RV despite these little things. And I keep reminding myself…these are all little things in a bigger picture.

Tiki Al
        Tiki Al,
        Well...you were much smarter than me! I spent a several hours emailing and calling GD Customer Service with your same concerns and receive nothing helpful. Their answers actually made it worse and doubled my frustration.They take zero responsibility for not knowing what wires are what, where they route, what circuit they are on, etc. Even after sharing all the info with them about customers having the same problem they "Punted" the issue. I finally gave up and did not install the Gateway (after already switching phone carriers for a compatible SIM)

Curious...what was your other option that is working for you?? We are still looking for an alternative that's not ridiculously expensive.
        Sadie & Matt
        (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
        2021 303 RLS
        2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
        Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by S&M_G View Post

Tiki Al,
          Well...you were much smarter than me! I spent a several hours emailing and calling GD Customer Service with your same concerns and receive nothing helpful. Their answers actually made it worse and doubled my frustration.They take zero responsibility for not knowing what wires are what, where they route, what circuit they are on, etc. Even after sharing all the info with them about customers having the same problem they "Punted" the issue. I finally gave up and did not install the Gateway (after already switching phone carriers for a compatible SIM)

Curious...what was your other option that is working for you?? We are still looking for an alternative that's not ridiculously expensive.
          Not sure where it falls on the ridiculously expensive part, but I’m really happy with my Peplink Balance 20x. I run it with two SIM cards, an AT&T and Verizon grandfathered unlimited plan I rent. We’re about six weeks into an eight week trip to the Utah park’s and Teton/Yellowstone and it’s been flawless. Only time we did not have service from one of the two was in Capitol Reef, which we anticipated ahead of time. I also have a Weboost booster from before I got the Peplink and while it has helped pounce out twice I normally don’t even turn it on.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Not sure where it falls on the ridiculously expensive part, but I’m really happy with my Peplink Balance 20x. I run it with two SIM cards, an AT&T and Verizon grandfathered unlimited plan I rent. We’re about six weeks into an eight week trip to the Utah park’s and Teton/Yellowstone and it’s been flawless
            ncitro Neil,
            Does using the 2 SIMs from different providers require the addition of another cellular modem via the FlexModule?
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

ncitro Neil,
              Does using the 2 SIMs from different providers require the addition of another cellular modem via the FlexModule?
              In the balance it does. The Duo comes with two modems. That said the flex module in the valve got me a cat 18 modem where the Duo I think is limited at cat12. The downside is my other modem is cat4, but I mainly use it for a backup when Verizon service is poor. I also figured I’d be able to upgrade the flex module down the road rather than replace the whole thing, although it’s come out since I purchased mine that the bandwidth capability of the balance itself is probably going to be the limiting factor.

Neil Citro

Comment

Tiki Al,

We purchased a MiFi 5G M2100 Jetpack from Verizon. We already had the unlimited data plan so it was just an additional few bucks a month…just like it would have been with the Gateway. Cost was a bit more but it can pick up 5G when available. It is downwardly compatible with the slower networks. We are currently in a spot that has real spotty coverage for the phones but it takes the available signal and all of our devices are performing quite well. Downside is it is not a WiFi extender so it can’t get the park’s WiFi and boost it for you but I am leary of public WiFi anyways so I really like having my own network in our trailer. It is portable so can be used on its own battery for travel or jaunts away from the trailer. It has a strong enough signal so we pick it up in our pickup as we go down the road. We leave it plugged in inside the trailer and as you disconnect from shore power it automatically switches over to it,s internal battery. It only works on a single provider network so other routers can have that advantage but we really like it and it is hassle free. No installation and works right out of the box, it can be customized so there is that flexibility too.

short answer - we love it!

Tiki Al
                Alan and Julie Hartford

Comment

We purchased a MiFi 5G M2100 Jetpack from Verizon. We already had the unlimited data plan so it was just an additional few bucks a month…just like it would have been with the Gateway. Cost was a bit more but it can pick up 5G when available. It is downwardly compatible with the slower networks. We are currently in a spot that has real spotty coverage for the phones but it takes the available signal and all of our devices are performing quite well. Downside is it is not a WiFi extender so it can’t get the park’s WiFi and boost it for you but I am leary of public WiFi anyways so I really like having my own network in our trailer. It is portable so can be used on its own battery for travel or jaunts away from the trailer. It has a strong enough signal so we pick it up in our pickup as we go down the road. We leave it plugged in inside the trailer and as you disconnect from shore power it automatically switches over to it,s internal battery. It only works on a single provider network so other routers can have that advantage but we really like it and it is hassle free. No installation and works right out of the box, it can be customized so there is that flexibility too.

Tiki Al
                  Yeah that’s what I used to use before I upgraded to the balance. I’ve been surprised the number of tons times that while I had good Verizon signal it was overloaded and My AT&T SIM outperformed it even in the Cat4 slot. Obviously it depends on how badly you need coverage but we’re both still working so it’s the difference between taking a trip and not. We’re seven weeks into an eight week trip to Utah and Yellowstone and Ive probably had to use the AT&T as much as the Verizon.

Neil Citro

Comment

Tiki Al
                    We are looking at the jet pack but wondered how the signal strength on it compared to say an iPhone w 5G when you are inside the trailer.
                    Others have said the Winegard w antenna on the roof provides better signal.
                    What have you seen while using yours??
                    Sadie & Matt
                    2021 303 RLS
                    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

We are looking at the jet pack but wondered how the signal strength on it compared to say an iPhone w 5G when you are inside the trailer.
                      Others have said the Winegard w antenna on the roof provides better signal.
                      What have you seen while using yours??
                      I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and the connection with the jetpack in the area we currently are is much better than on the phone alone. We are in southern Oregon at the time and have very spotty internet but the jetpack has performed absolutely just fine.
                      Alan and Julie Hartford

Comment

WickedJulesTikiAl
                        Awesome!! Thanks for the reply & detailed post.
                        Headed to a Verizon store today to check one out.
                        Sadie & Matt
                        2021 303 RLS
                        Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

I have the new Verizon jetpack the model is 8180 I think. I also bought the antenna that you can suction cup to the window. I just walk to different windows to get best reception then stick it to the window. Last place we were at I had 1 bar on my phone and with jetpack and antenna I went up to 3 bars. We got the 30gig add on a month and can turn it off in the off season. 30 gig was 30 bucks but if your streaming movies it can get eaten up pretty fast.
                          2021 Reflection 303RLS
                          2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

This antenna is what I use, Netgear MIMO 6000450 Antenna

2021 Reflection 303RLS
                            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

WickedJulesTikiAl
                              Awesome!! Thanks for the reply & detailed post.
                              Headed to a Verizon store today to check one out.
                              I have an update…it worked great until it got throttled. Adding data costs $35 for just 5 GB. I hate to do it but I am sending it back. It is just not sustainable for long trips. We blew through the 30 GB in just under two weeks≥ I am back to the drawing board…Verizon has recently expanded their return service from 15 days to 30 days so that is a good thing for us. Their customer service rep on the phone said there is no option for long term internet at a decent cost. I do not understand why I can get truly unlimited from my phone but not from the hotspot?? They said that even if we went with a cellular modem, the package would remain the same. Anyone with better suggestions?
                              Alan and Julie Hartford

Comment

I have an update…it worked great until it got throttled. Adding data costs $35 for just 5 GB. I hate to do it but I am sending it back. It is just not sustainable for long trips. We blew through the 30 GB in just under two weeks≥ I am back to the drawing board…Verizon has recently expanded their return service from 15 days to 30 days so that is a good thing for us. Their customer service rep on the phone said there is no option for long term internet at a decent cost. I do not understand why I can get truly unlimited from my phone but not from the hotspot?? They said that even if we went with a cellular modem, the package would remain the same. Anyone with better suggestions?
                                Yes that's the difficulty with all of the current plans, the caps are way too low. I rent a grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon, no caps, no throttling and true unlimited, but it's pricy, $150 per month.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X