Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 GD 310GK-R - Plugged in, but only power from 12v system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 GD 310GK-R - Plugged in, but only power from 12v system.

HI,

Any thoughts as to what could cause the RV to not convert from 120 to 12v for normal operation of the trailer? Verified Post power, Verified Surge protector is good, Cord's lit at both ends, Trailer lights are dim, and Battery display (pushbutton) Shows 1 light (not 4 /full).

Checked Circuit breakers, GFCI, tried with inverter on/off, no changes at all.

Since we're in SD heading towards WA on 90, we powered down to minimal (heat/refrig.) and hooked to the truck (2 batteries there for assist)

Made it thru the night, but we're concerned about next stop (Montana).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Considering opening the false wall in the tunnel to try and find the converter (supposedly there's a fuse on it)

Jay S.
    2021 GD 310GK-R - 1 week old..

Is the red battery disconnect key in the front bay turned on? If not the batteries won't charge or run the trailer.
    Jeff
    2019 Solitude 375 RES
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Do the microwave and TV work?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Good morning Jay, and welcome to the technical forum. Here's how I'd approach it.

1. Make sure the battery disconnect switch in the basement hasn't been accidentally turned off.
        2. Verify that the breaker on the shore power pole it turned on.
        3. Open the circuit breaker panel in the RV and verify that all the breakers are turned on.
        4. Follow the trouble-shooting guide for the converter than I'm posting below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO Flow Chart.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	45061

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim’s guide is spot on. Most common is the battery disconnect, although if it was off I’d think you’d have no 12v at all. After that I’d be looking at the converter fuses or the converter itself. To get you through your trip a battery charger from Walmart connected to the batteries and plugged into the rig would get you by.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks all. Going thru the guide now
            jay

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              Good morning Jay, and welcome to the technical forum. Here's how I'd approach it.

1. Make sure the battery disconnect switch in the basement hasn't been accidentally turned off.
              2. Verify that the breaker on the shore power pole it turned on.
              3. Open the circuit breaker panel in the RV and verify that all the breakers are turned on.
              4. Follow the trouble-shooting guide for the converter than I'm posting below:

<form removed>

Jim
              Jim, others,

Thank you for your expertise, It appears i have a wiring issue. Went through Jim's WNCO Flowchart, and i have power leaving the Converter after connecting shore power, and using the battery disconnect to isolate the batteries. When i do this. I do see the 12.15v out of the Converter. (it's a bit lower than the 13.3-13.7). but there's voltage coming out.

What i found more interesting, is that i have good 120v on outlets when connected to shore power. but.. IF i disconnect the batteries, All the lights start flickering terribly. I'm now suspecting wiring (bad ground?).

Since this is now 7 days old, we're going to throw in the towel and take it for warrantee investigation and repair.

Jay S.

Comment

As an aside, we've checked the Circuit breakers on the front wall behind the batteries. (30/100). they're +- 0v drop..(did not ohm test) we're checking the hardwire connections to the battery Disconnect switch (Given the flickering). from there we're following the 12v into the trailer environment both the breaker panel and the inverter/converter environment. at this point, looking for loose crimps / connections ..

Anyone have a general wiring diagram for the GD 310GK-R? (2020 / 2021 preferred)

Digging further.

jay S.

Comment

Not much of a wiring diagram available , you could contact GD Customer Service for what they have.

You may check the power distribution panel. Remove the door/cover and check that all of the screws are tight , please make sure you disconnect all power before doing this. This may be where you are loosing power from the converter , or also maybe a loose ground. Below the circuit breakers there should be a screw to the frame with a bunch of white ground wires attached , this would be a good thing to check as well.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Dustspots View Post
                    ... i have power leaving the Converter after connecting shore power, and using the battery disconnect to isolate the batteries. When i do this. I do see the 12.15v out of the Converter. (it's a bit lower than the 13.3-13.7). but there's voltage coming out.
                    12.15V measured at the converter's lugs doesn't sound right.

Here's a generic fifth wheel DC diagram how some were wired.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	5CB FW w Hydraulic, Inverter.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	45360
                    FW 5CB OEM DC w Hydraulic, Inverter.pdf
                    Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Off chance, but you may want to check the battery electrolyte level and connections. I know I just turned the battery in our unit around so I could get the battery box cover to fit better and the terminals were not all that tight.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

If the converter is not between 13.3 and 13.7VDC, it is defective according to the flow chart and should be replaced. All of your symptoms appear to be linked to a defective converter. Once in a while a really odd problem will crop up, but the results are sure pointing to a converter issue. If the converter can't reach the mid-13V range, it will not adequately charge your batteries.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Yes I agree converter. The lights are 12v, so if they’re flickering I’d bet the converter is not putting out enough voltage for them. Also if that’s the case it’s probably under charging the batteries.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

All,
                            100% on point. Converter was outputting 12.1v instead of 13.6, so float wasn't sufficient to charge batteries. Warrantee repair in 0.8h results in happy camper. On to the next "odd"..

Thank you again, TucsonJim et.al.

Jay Smellow
                            2021 Solitude 310GK-R
                            2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustspots View Post
                              All,
                              100% on point. Converter was outputting 12.1v instead of 13.6, so float wasn't sufficient to charge batteries. Warrantee repair in 0.8h results in happy camper. On to the next "odd"..

Thank you again, TucsonJim et.al.

Jay Smellow
                              2021 Solitude 310GK-R
                              2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn.
                              Congratulations on getting it solved Jay! Now, get back to camping!

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X