No announcement yet.

Interfacing with the OneControl system via CANBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had some very cool conversations with folks who know the platform much better than I and I have a ton of ideas rolling around in my head now. Incidentally, I think I can add additional physical wireless switches, so I am going to start there and work my way upwards.

BTW: If you want to go through good training, check out https://lippert.thinkific.com/courses they have a ton of training there!
    ==============
    Grand Design RV National Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdrvnationalrally.com
    Grand Design RV Mid-Atlantic Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdmarally.com
    Current GDRV: 2023 Solitude 391-DLR, Midnight FBP
    Previous GDRV's: 2016 Solitude 375RE, 2021 Momentum 397TH-R
    No tow vehicle!

Comment

Any progress in this project? Very interested in the success of this, since the Solitude OneControl is very limited compared to the Momentum.

Comment

I just found this post, and I’m so relieved that someone else is doing this. I’m currently trying to get the J Gulick Pi interface to work in my 395msr, but I’m struggling due to my lack of programming knowledge. My wife and kids and I full time in our rig, so the ridiculously laggy LCI setup is a huge pain. I’m currently using an iPad mini running the onecontrol app, which is somewhat better, but it’s not a real fix.

If anyone can help me get this thing working, I’d be happy to trade a bit of CAD designing or run some parts off on my 3d printer for you.

Bob- it looks like you were making great progress a few months ago, any updates? I’d love to see your setup IRL if we happen to be in the same area!

Comment

Originally posted by Tango259 View Post
          Any progress in this project? Very interested in the success of this, since the Solitude OneControl is very limited compared to the Momentum.
          We have lights, tank sensors, the 'control' panel (water heater / pump) items and ability to see the HVAC setting and turn it on/off but not able to adjust the temperature. Working.

The slides, awnings and Jack's don't interface with the openhab side of the system making them much more difficult to interact with, part of the 'safety' features from LCI. So much more difficult to easily connect them to home assistant without additional hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsnsiren79 View Post
            I just found this post, and I’m so relieved that someone else is doing this. I’m currently trying to get the J Gulick Pi interface to work in my 395msr, but I’m struggling due to my lack of programming knowledge. My wife and kids and I full time in our rig, so the ridiculously laggy LCI setup is a huge pain. I’m currently using an iPad mini running the onecontrol app, which is somewhat better, but it’s not a real fix.

If anyone can help me get this thing working, I’d be happy to trade a bit of CAD designing or run some parts off on my 3d printer for you.

Bob- it looks like you were making great progress a few months ago, any updates? I’d love to see your setup IRL if we happen to be in the same area!
            We've been working on a bit of it, got almost everything working that's in the openhab side of one control, but that excludes the slides, awnings and Jack's. I personally have actually added some additional devices to my panel and rig as well and building a lot of stuff out as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211029-125033_Home Assistant.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	70521 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211029-125053_Home Assistant.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	70522 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211103-092858_Home Assistant.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	70524 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211029-125521_Home Assistant.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	70525
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SergeantBort View Post

We've been working on a bit of it, got almost everything working that's in the openhab side of one control, but that excludes the slides, awnings and Jack's. I personally have actually added some additional devices to my panel and rig as well and building a lot of stuff out as well.
              Can you share more information on the interface you are using? What are you using to communicate with the LCI controller, CAN, or via the network/wifi module?

I'm doing similar things at the moment, and am able to parse all my device status' over CAN, and am about to head down the path of trying to figure out the seed/key exchange the control panel uses to enable device control, if someone has already been down this path I'd love to hear some more details!

Comment

Bummer, disregard that last message, I see now you're both using the network instance of openhab from the gateway module https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ore-components

Comment

bob What did you have to do to replace the LCI router with your pepwave? I would like to have my OneControl run across my RV network and not use it's own MyRV.... network.

I'm also tracking your efforts to set up a better "home automation" system. I would love to have all controls (OneControl, micro-air thermostats, Ring, and Victron solar) into one automation solution that runs on my pepwave network- if could be done.

Comment

I know this does not pertain to your question, but was wondering how you got internet to the MyRV wifi. I can't update anything. thks

Comment

Looks like this discussion has died out. We're considering upgrading our 2018 Cyclone to a 2023 Solitude within the next few months. I am a professional iOS programmer and have been using multiple Particle.io Photon controllers and a Rasperry Pi MQTT broker and Homebridge to perform HomeKit based (and stand-alone) control of my RV. Since the new Solitudes include OneConnect (they call it Compass Connect) I'm looking to leverage that, and I have a lot to learn about Canbus, etc. I'm watching the thinkific videos which are very helpful. So, any further progress on Bob's work here? Any other suggestions or tips regarding extending OneConnect?

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Lisle View Post
                        Looks like this discussion has died out. We're considering upgrading our 2018 Cyclone to a 2023 Solitude within the next few months. I am a professional iOS programmer and have been using multiple Particle.io Photon controllers and a Rasperry Pi MQTT broker and Homebridge to perform HomeKit based (and stand-alone) control of my RV. Since the new Solitudes include OneConnect (they call it Compass Connect) I'm looking to leverage that, and I have a lot to learn about Canbus, etc. I'm watching the thinkific videos which are very helpful. So, any further progress on Bob's work here? Any other suggestions or tips regarding extending OneConnect?
                        I ended up changing direction, and instead of going after the CANbus, I integrated with their cloud gateway in the rig (runs Openhab). This was in my 2021 Momentum, with the full X4 board.

Ironically, I am trading in my 2021 Momentum next week for a 2023 Solitude 391DL391DL-R, I'll be revisiting the CANbus approach once I get remote access reconnected.

I am spoiled - I use the remote access and extensive remote control regularly, so I will be working on this soon. I have a RasPi already set up with a CANBus hat, so I can likely get to work. I don't know all the details, but I do know that they are NOT RV-C compliant...
                        ==============
                        No tow vehicle!

Comment

bob - Was that your new Solitude in the background image on the call yesterday?
                          Regarding the post above. Do you kinow if it's openHAB 2 or has it been upgraded to openHAB 3. The reason I ask is that openHAB 2 support is no longer actively maintained and the software will only receive select patches deemed necessary by the maintainers of the project.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            bob - Was that your new Solitude in the background image on the call yesterday?
                            Regarding the post above. Do you kinow if it's openHAB 2 or has it been upgraded to openHAB 3. The reason I ask is that openHAB 2 support is no longer actively maintained and the software will only receive select patches deemed necessary by the maintainers of the project.

Jim
                            TucsonJim Yes, that is my new Solitude in the background on the call yesterday - I pick it up next week!

As for the Openhab version, it is indeed running version 2 (I forget exactly which version), and is read-only at least as far as I can tell (I didn't do much digging here, because frankly I didn't want to make any changes to it, just to integrate with it as it sits).

All non-physical components are accesible through the OpenHab interface, with the physical devices (slides, awnings) not visible. Again, not something I put a tremendous amount of time into digging into, as I did not want to cause any safety issues, so I left them out on purpose.

I will be digging more into the Solitude as soon as I can get my grubby paws on it
                            ==============
                            No tow vehicle!

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but I was wonder if bob made any progress on the CANbus approach to connecting to Home Assistant?

I'm waiting to get a PI 4, then add the PiCAN2, but if it is a dead end, I don't want to go down the road.

I see a number of projects to tap into the bus and looks like 2-way communications is possible:Thanks for sharing

Scratch that, since RV-C does not work on an Imagine trailer. Too late down the logging road and it is rough going... hope I can make it out the other end.
                              Last edited by d-jeffrey; 04-30-2023, 09:58 PM. Reason: Update from learns.
                              2022 GD Imagine 2670MK 2023 F-150 6 Lariat 3.5L Eco Blue Ox Sway Pro
                              Darren & Kristy + Mojo Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X