Power feed for Winegard Gateway (New 2021 Solitude S-Class 2930RL) - no 12V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power feed for Winegard Gateway (New 2021 Solitude S-Class 2930RL) - no 12V

I have an August 2020 build date Solitude 2930 RL. I just purchased a Winegard Gateway. I removed the inside ceiling plate and located the 3 gray antenna wires (red, yellow and green). I also located a 12V cable that was run right next to the ceiling hole. It was actually stuck to the top of the ceiling board with silicone. This wire is brown/white. The rest of my coach uses brown/white for the ceiling fans (I have 2). I verified this at the fuse box and at the bathroom fan (I previously replaced the OEM fan with a Vortex II in the bathroom). There are 2 sets of brown/white wires there connected together - this powers my fan directly.

The brown/white wire that I identified for the Gateway does not have power fed to it. Checked it with a multimeter. One end appears to run towards the bathroom and the other end runs towards the outside wall (from the hallway). I removed a light next to the gateway to better access the wiring.

Why would Grand Design run that wire and not power it? Tomorrow I will trace it to see where it ends up (curious to see if the bath ran wiring connects to it. I can clearly see the red/white wiring for the ceiling lights (this is the only other wiring in the area that I can see.

Worse case I will run wiring from the ceiling fan to feed the gateway - should not be hard to fish it with the light fixture dropped down.

Is there a way I can get a wiring diagram to verify what I am seeing - I cannot find any switch that would power the brown/white gateway wiring?

Other thing I can think of is that they ran that wire back to the 12V fuse panel or maybe the switch panel above - I’ll remove both to see - maybe it is left in one of these spots waiting to have power added to it?

I just completed a DIY solar/inverter/battery install so 12V is fairly understandable to me

I already installed a 12V switch on the Gateway itself to allow power to be shutoff to it if desired.
    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
    Is there a way I can get a wiring diagram to verify what I am seeing - I cannot find any switch that would power the brown/white gateway wiring?
    Unfortunately nothing exists that even remotely looks like a "wiring diagram". Probably the #1 item requested by GD owners. All we can do is keep being persistent in our request to GD to create these documents--at least for future owners. (Hint Hint, GDRV-Emily , GDRV-Megan , GDRV-Megan , GDRV-Mariah ).

Why would Grand Design run that wire and not power it?
    That is odd--in every other case the wire for the Winegard had power (was part of an existing circuit). All the owner needed to do was splice the wire and tie in the Winegard.

Please follow up with what you find.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard - Thanks for the response!

I spoke with Grand Design Customer Service today- excellent experience - awesome to speak with!!!!

The wire is supposed to have live 12V on it - mine doesn't. Verified there are no other switches or connections intended. Customer Service offered to have my dealer fix it ASAP.

Given what you and GD CS mentioned, I am going to trace the wire back to where it connects to something and that will definitely tell me what happened - either a bad connection or someone forgot to make the connection. Either way I have pretty good access to the ceiling - there is a 4" puck light next to the Gateway and this is located 1/2 way between the Gateway and bathroom fan. The color coding indicates it is on the fan 12V circuit.

If I am unable to end-trace the wiring I will run a new set of 12V wires from the bathroom fan connection - very easy and I have direct access.

I'll let everyone here and GD CS know what I find out (ie: maybe my connection when I replaced the bathroom fan with a Vortex II was bad - potentially, or the wire was inadvertently not connected to anything, or there is another connection point that is bad, or I am unable to reach the connection point and had to run my own 12V feed).

Everything else in the camper works as intended, so I think this wiring is the end of a string, not in the middle somewhere.
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Everything else in the camper works as intended, so I think this wiring is the end of a string, not in the middle somewhere.
        Similar discussion here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...o-winegard-360 Post #9 was a result of an "offline" discussion with a GD rep. JAK has a Reflection and you have a Solitude, so it won't surprise me if yours is different. (You'd think they'd all be the same...but different lines do things differently.)

Appreciate a follow-up with what has to be done as it will add to the forum's "knowledge bank".

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7F1E048-DECF-4E0D-AA63-15D33F0933D6.jpeg
Views:	976
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	46435Click image for larger version

Name:	F90EC69D-6EAC-4F5C-BA51-288A9A4D23C6.jpeg
Views:	920
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	46434Click image for larger version

Name:	5DA85D01-FA78-49FB-9A1D-F42F64CEEEE8.jpeg
Views:	940
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	46433Click image for larger version

Name:	AA00AB6C-D86E-4F0D-BA74-5D3107ED4A70.jpeg
Views:	930
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	46432Click image for larger version

Name:	8B184043-34C2-4959-8BE5-D0B5D02BE064.jpeg
Views:	922
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	46431Click image for larger version

Name:	ADCCC962-4F1F-48ED-9FA8-D71E910C3DB3.jpeg
Views:	932
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	46430
          2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

The brown/white wire that was next to the gateway access was a power feed to the door side scare light. I cannot use that to power the gateway. There was not another power line run for the gateway.

I was easily able to run a power feed from the bathroom fan to the gateway as a power feed. The hallway light hole gave me great access to the fan wiring and the gateway wiring.

I added a switch to the gateway. Mystery solved and the Winegard Gateway works the way I wanted it to.
            2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Good work!

GDRV-Megan -- please make sure the Solitude team is aware of this wiring issue is they aren't already.

Also, it sure would help if all the lines that install the Air 360+ had instructions tucked under the WInegard cover in the ceiling explaining where the 12v originates and how to connect the Gateway.

Howard

Comment

The brown/white wire that was next to the gateway access was a power feed to the door side scare light. I cannot use that to power the gateway. There was not another power line run for the gateway.

I was easily able to run a power feed from the bathroom fan to the gateway as a power feed. The hallway light hole gave me great access to the fan wiring and the gateway wiring.

I added a switch to the gateway. Mystery solved and the Winegard Gateway works the way I wanted it to.
                We do not use the brown and white for that antenna... I believe we use the red and white. It is the same 12V power wire that we use for the AC 12V supply. The line did have a rash of them where they didn’t make the loop and attach to the cap so it could be possible that you may have grabbed the wrong wire in the ceiling.

howson FYI

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4505.jpeg
Views:	721
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	46691 The red/white wiring (there were 2 pairs) were connected to each ceiling light, so they were no good for constant power for the Gateway ... there were no other wires besides the brown/white single pair in that area. Very easy to see up in the ceiling as shown in the photo - I also used my inspection scope to see all around.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4513.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	46690
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Working...
                  X