TCL TV Turns on when connecting to shore power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCL TV Turns on when connecting to shore power

I have noticed a few times now that my TCL TV turns itself on when AC power is applied to the trailer. The first few times I thought I must have turned it on and not realized it. But while troubleshooting some incorrect labeling in my breaker box, I noticed when I turned off the breaker and turned it back on the TV would automatically turn itself on. I looked thru all of the setting on the TV itself and could not find anything related to powering on...anybody else experiencing this phenomenon or have a solution on how to stop this from happening?
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
    USMC Veteran

Hello - We have the same ghost, but no idea why
    Grand Design-Imagine
    2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Comment

Haha....OK, thank you for validating that I am not going insane! It has been a long winter but I haven't resorted to chanting "REDRUM" or wandering the hallways just yet

I will check this tomorrow, but I wonder if it has a memory function and if the power is killed while it is on, then it will power itself back on when power is reapplied...
      Jeff and Debbie
      2021 Imagine 2250RK
      USMC Veteran

Comment

This has happened before and there is a post here about it. Do a search and it should be found , might take a bit to weed thru tow vehicle threads and such but there is a thread here.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Heavysledz View Post
          I have noticed a few times now that my TCL TV turns itself on when AC power is applied to the trailer. The first few times I thought I must have turned it on and not realized it. But while troubleshooting some incorrect labeling in my breaker box, I noticed when I turned off the breaker and turned it back on the TV would automatically turn itself on. I looked thru all of the setting on the TV itself and could not find anything related to powering on...anybody else experiencing this phenomenon or have a solution on how to stop this from happening?
          The post Brian is referencing is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tcl-television Santa61 and AMires in TX both contributed to the thread and have (or had) the same issue.

Unfortunately there was no resolution posted, but it does contain troubleshooting steps to try and isolate the problem. (One post speculated a "remote" signal was somehow turning on the TV.) Let's continue the conversation here in this thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TucsonJim clarified the issue: If I'm reading this correctly, the TV only does this whacky power up when you plug into shore power, and doesn't do it when you plug it into the outlet. If so, there is more going on that meets the eye. I'm thinking is has to do something with an inverter in the system and/or maybe a transfer switch. It sounds almost like the difference between a hard boot on a computer and a soft boot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try these steps and please report back: (from post 13 of the other thread):

TROUBLESHOOTING TO ISOLATE THE ISSUE
          1) Disconnect all of the cables behind the TV (connected to the TV!) except for the TCL's power cord (leave the AC power cord plugged in). Then go through the routine of unplugging from shore power (as if you were leaving) and then reconnecting. Give it a good 30 seconds between removing power and re-establishing power so any transient power is dissipated. Does the TV still turn on by itself? If the TV does NOT turn on stop troubleshooting and post the results.

2) If the TV DID power on in step 1 (with all the cables disconnected) remove shore power again. Using the trailer's battery disconnect, remove 12v power from the interior of the camper. On the Power Distribution Panel there should be a circuit breaker labeled "Converter". Turn that breaker off. (At this point the lights shouldn't work, radio is off, etc). Now turn shore power back on. Did the TV still power on by itself?

3) Re-establish the camper's power and TV connections:
          a) Turn off shore power at the pedestal.
          b) Reconnect your cables to the TV.
          c) Turn on the Power Distribution Center's Converter circuit breaker.
          d) Rotate the battery disconnect switch so battery power is once again passed to the camper. (Check it's in the right position and engaged by turning on an interior light.)
          e) Turn on shore power at the pedestal.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have the TCL tv in our 2600RB. I believe I tried all of the suggestions in the previous post and the thing still comes on every time the shore power is connected or the main breaker is cycled. We just unplugged the silly thing as we do not usually use it anyway. Our LG tv at home does the same thing sometimes if the power goes out.

Dave
            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

My TCL television doesn't have that ghost but my Jensen stereo does!
              2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
              2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                We have the TCL tv in our 2600RB. I believe I tried all of the suggestions in the previous post and the thing still comes on every time the shore power is connected or the main breaker is cycled. We just unplugged the silly thing as we do not usually use it anyway. Our LG tv at home does the same thing sometimes if the power goes out.

Dave
                Total guess...but what could be going on is any residual power meant to keep the TV's status in it's power supply is back-fed through the RV's electrical system to various loads. (Very small amount of power that is dissipated relatively quickly.)

When power is applied to the pedestal or main breaker and the TV wakes up for the first time (as far as it knows, since it doesn't have a previous status to fall back on) the default action in this condition is to turn on.

Alternatively, when unplugged from the wall the residual power is retained in the TV and the last status is kept in memory for a long time, since the power required to do so is very low. Plug the TV back into a live circuit and the TV knows it's last state was off, so it stays off.

Replace the outlet with a switch-activated outlet and it will probably work as expected (if the switch is turned off prior to power removal, and switch turned on after power application).

Click image for larger version  Name:	switch outlet.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	47321
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson You maybe onto something there. When this was happening the "Demo" mode would come up onscreen, like as you suggested, might cause it to think it had just been started up for the first time after a complete bleed down of capacitors etc. Thanks for the idea of the switched receptacle.

Dave
                  flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Our TV did the same thing, it was not limited to plugging in shore power. You could reset the breaker and it would power up also. Just unplugging it and plugging it back in would power it up also.
                    Switched it out for our Samsung and problem gone.
                    Side note: Demo mode was off.
                    2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                    Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                    Formerly M&K337

Comment

My TCL does the same thing. I looked through the manual but didn't find anything specific to that condition. I have two theories which I haven't tested yet. We'll be going out for a weekend in a couple weeks so I will test it. My theories are:
                      1) The TV is by default in 'stand by' mode. So when it senses power it turns on. The manual mentions a 'stand by' mode for the TV. You can turn it off in settings.
                      2) The antenna booster is powered. So when power is connected to the TT it powers the antenna booster which puts a signal to the TV antenna input. When it sees that input it turns on.

I do like the switched outlet idea. Thanks for that. The switched outlet would be a definite help. Sometimes I'll bring the TT home and connect to shore poser but don't necessarily want to put out the slides. I need the slides out to get the remote and access the TV. I guess I could relocate the TV remote to the bathroom drawer when traveling. I'll tell my DW that but not tell her why. Dear, "The TV remote goes in the bathroom drawer when we travel." That should bring an interesting response. Or none at all since she is tired of my great stupid ideas.

Edit: One benefit of the TV coming on is after connecting to shore power I can look in the window to see if the TV is on. If it is on, I have power to the coach. The Television is a really big indicator light.
                      Mike & Lisa
                      Central Florida
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL
                      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
                        My TCL does the same thing. I looked through the manual but didn't find anything specific to that condition. I have two theories which I haven't tested yet. We'll be going out for a weekend in a couple weeks so I will test it. My theories are:
                        1) The TV is by default in 'stand by' mode. So when it senses power it turns on. The manual mentions a 'stand by' mode for the TV. You can turn it off in settings.
                        2) The antenna booster is powered. So when power is connected to the TT it powers the antenna booster which puts a signal to the TV antenna input. When it sees that input it turns on.

I do like the switched outlet idea. Thanks for that. The switched outlet would be a definite help. Sometimes I'll bring the TT home and connect to shore poser but don't necessarily want to put out the slides. I need the slides out to get the remote and access the TV. I guess I could relocate the TV remote to the bathroom drawer when traveling. I'll tell my DW that but not tell her why. Dear, "The TV remote goes in the bathroom drawer when we travel." That should bring an interesting response. Or none at all since she is tired of my great stupid ideas.

Edit: One benefit of the TV coming on is after connecting to shore power I can look in the window to see if the TV is on. If it is on, I have power to the coach. The Television is a really big indicator light.
                        Until you get q power bump at 3AM and the next thing you know, the TV is on any your waking up to an infomercial!
                        Jeff and Debbie
                        2021 Imagine 2250RK
                        USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The post Brian is referencing is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tcl-television Santa61 and AMires in TX both contributed to the thread and have (or had) the same issue.

Unfortunately there was no resolution posted, but it does contain troubleshooting steps to try and isolate the problem. (One post speculated a "remote" signal was somehow turning on the TV.) Let's continue the conversation here in this thread.

TucsonJim clarified the issue: If I'm reading this correctly, the TV only does this whacky power up when you plug into shore power, and doesn't do it when you plug it into the outlet. If so, there is more going on that meets the eye. I'm thinking is has to do something with an inverter in the system and/or maybe a transfer switch. It sounds almost like the difference between a hard boot on a computer and a soft boot.

Try these steps and please report back: (from post 13 of the other thread):

TROUBLESHOOTING TO ISOLATE THE ISSUE
                          1) Disconnect all of the cables behind the TV (connected to the TV!) except for the TCL's power cord (leave the AC power cord plugged in). Then go through the routine of unplugging from shore power (as if you were leaving) and then reconnecting. Give it a good 30 seconds between removing power and re-establishing power so any transient power is dissipated. Does the TV still turn on by itself? If the TV does NOT turn on stop troubleshooting and post the results.

2) If the TV DID power on in step 1 (with all the cables disconnected) remove shore power again. Using the trailer's battery disconnect, remove 12v power from the interior of the camper. On the Power Distribution Panel there should be a circuit breaker labeled "Converter". Turn that breaker off. (At this point the lights shouldn't work, radio is off, etc). Now turn shore power back on. Did the TV still power on by itself?

3) Re-establish the camper's power and TV connections:
                          a) Turn off shore power at the pedestal.
                          b) Reconnect your cables to the TV.
                          c) Turn on the Power Distribution Center's Converter circuit breaker.
                          d) Rotate the battery disconnect switch so battery power is once again passed to the camper. (Check it's in the right position and engaged by turning on an interior light.)
                          e) Turn on shore power at the pedestal.

Howard
                          Thanks Howard,

And sorry for dredging up an old topic. I thought I had done my homework and searched for any related postings and didn't find anything before I posted this thread.

On to your troubleshooting suggestions. I followed each of your steps and each time it resulted in the TV powering itself on when AC was reapplied to the TV. So it is an issue inherent to the TV itself. I like the suggestion of putting it on a switch but if I did that in the current outlet location, I would lose access to the second outlet.

I will live with it for now as it is only a minor annoyance but the only way I noticed that it was on the other day was because I could hear it. Our trailer has the televator so it is inside the cabinet and out of site.
                          Jeff and Debbie
                          2021 Imagine 2250RK
                          USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
                            My TCL television doesn't have that ghost but my Jensen stereo does!
                            Same thing with mine.
                            Robert and Chris
                            2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                            2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

I find this to be more than just an annoyance, we dry camp 100% of the time. if I need to start the generator at night to run the heat, the tv blasts and wakes everybody up.

Comment

Working...
                              X