Furnace cabinet gets hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace cabinet gets hot.

I just purchased a Imagine 2250, and last weekend when I used the furnace to heat the camper, I noticed that the cabinet got pretty hot. Today I moved the couch and looked behind the panel to find that one of the duct pipes on top the unit went nowhere. It's connected to the box, but does not terminate into a register. The heat just dumps into the cabinet which explains why the cabinet gets so hot. Is this normal? I have attached a photo for reference.
    Attached Files
    Marcus aka Scribby

I can not help you with why that duct is not connected to anything but I am guessing that it should be connected or not even there. Is there a register in the area of the furnace that does not have any air coming out while the furnace is running?

Schiefswret

Would you have any info to help out this owner?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I can not help you with why that duct is not connected to anything but I am guessing that it should be connected or not even there. Is there a register in the area of the furnace that does not have any air coming out while the furnace is running?

Schiefswret

Would you have any info to help out this owner?

Brian
      Well I wish I could add more valuable input to this but, when I run the furnace I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed the cabinet getting hot. Next time I run it I’ll check. I have noticed that the volume from that same vent in my 2250RK is less than others but not low enough for it to cause any concern. The vent in the bedroom, on the drivers side, blows nice and strong and the vent in the bathroom seems to blow what I would call “normal”, weaker than the bedroom and stronger than the one in the kitchen. I don’t expect that they would all blow evenly, after all,it’s an RV 😀 Is it possible that the duct on the right in the pic that leads down to the vent didn’t get attached properly?
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Dave

In the OP's pic the duct on the right is not going anywhere. Is there any chance that you have removed the cover for the furnace at some time and taken a pic? That would help to compare to the OP's pic.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for this feedback, I did look for unattached vents, and could not see anything amiss. is this is actually supposed to be blocked off, I'll probably just add a vent to the access door and have it blow behind the couch to get if out of the cabinet.
          Marcus aka Scribby

Comment

Originally posted by scribby View Post
            I just purchased a Imagine 2250, and last weekend when I used the furnace to heat the camper, I noticed that the cabinet got pretty hot. Today I moved the couch and looked behind the panel to find that one of the duct pipes on top the unit went nowhere. It's connected to the box, but does not terminate into a register. The heat just dumps into the cabinet which explains why the cabinet gets so hot. Is this normal? I have attached a photo for reference.
            That's definitely not right.

Given the orientation of the picture that duct should go to a vent at the end of the cabinet. Suggest attaching it yourself or getting it repaired by the dealer.

To skip a thousand words, here's a diagram:

Click image for larger version  Name:	heat route.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	47870
            Howard
            Last edited by howson; 03-28-2021, 08:12 AM.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

scribby -- also suggest reading the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Suggest shortening your username to eliminate it as an email address. The letter explains...let me know if you want it changed (you can't do it at this point).

Howard
              Last edited by howson; 03-28-2021, 08:12 AM.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Thank you for that diagram. I will confirm that all the points you illustrated are connected. That is very helpful! And yes, if you are able to change my user name, that would be great. 'Scribby' would work.
                Marcus aka Scribby

Comment

Originally posted by scribbyk@gmail.com View Post
                  howson Thank you for that diagram. I will confirm that all the points you illustrated are connected. That is very helpful! And yes, if you are able to change my user name, that would be great. 'Scribby' would work.
                  Done! Edited out your email from previous posts, too.

Please follow up with the resolution to the heat vent issue. The power of an owners forum is owners sharing information with other owners.

Comment

So, I never heard back from Michelle Jones at Grand Design on this issue with my furnace. maybe the extra un-terminated pipe was supposed to blow into the basement, I don't know. So here is the solution I went with. The heater now seems to heat the camper faster, and there is no more smell of overheated plastic.
                    Attached Files
                    Marcus aka Scribby

Comment

scribby, is the illustration that howson posted accurately reflect your vent locations? On mine, the bedroom duct is located on the opposite wall below the thermostat. It comes up thru the floor under the bathroom sink and into the wall. I thought the airflow on all of my vents felt pretty even except the one under the oven but that is because it is only a 2" duct and all of the others are 4". I can't say that I noticed the cabinet on mine getting hot but to be fair, we were running the fireplace most of the time and only used the furnace when we went to sleep to keep some heat in the underbelly. I plan on doing a mod behind the theater seats that will allow us to store the table behind the couch when in transit instead of under the bed. When I pull the seats to do this mod, I will also pull the panel to access the furnace and see if I have the same mystery duct that you do.....If I were you, I would have taken that duct and tried to get it into the under belly if all of your other ducts appear to be working just to make sure your tanks and plumbing were getting heat to them....
                      Jeff and Debbie
                      2021 Imagine 2250RK
                      2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                      USMC Veteran

Comment

ok, so curiosity got the best of me and I had to go check for myself.....my unit is plumbed totally different than yours. I have 3 4" ducts on the front side and a 4" and 2" on the top side. My unit has 3 4" ducts (front of cabinet, bathroom, bedroom) and a 2" duct under the oven. This leave one 4" duct unaccounted for which has to be for the underbelly. However, all of mine are routed out of site and do not appear to be dumping into the cabinet.

The first picture shows the 4" duct on top going what appears to be the underbelly.

The second picture shows the 2" and 4" on top of the furnace. The 2" goes to the vents under the oven and the other appears to go to the underbelly.

The third picture shows 3 4" ducts (hard to see 3rd one on the bottom). The top one goes to the front of the cabinet, the middle and bottom one appears to feed the bathroom and bedroom vents.

Hope this helps...
                        Attached Files
                        Jeff and Debbie
                        2021 Imagine 2250RK
                        USMC Veteran

Comment

Heavysledz
                          Since it was created from a GD diagram it could definitely be wrong...

Comment

haha...if it were like the diagram shows, the bathroom door would block the vent went open.....maybe it was there on earlier models and they got smart and relocated it to t he other wall which has no blockage point.
                            Jeff and Debbie
                            2021 Imagine 2250RK
                            USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Heavysledz View Post
                              haha...if it were like the diagram shows, the bathroom door would block the vent went open.....maybe it was there on earlier models and they got smart and relocated it to t he other wall which has no blockage point.
                              I can't find a vent on any wall in a video I just watched. Where exactly is the vent in the bedroom on your model?

The first three from the video...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	48907

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	48906

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	48905

Comment

Working...
                              X