No announcement yet.

Dometic Refrigerator keeps turning off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to follow up on my problem of the refrigerator intermittently shutting off, my dealer had the camper for four days but didn't get the refrigerator to fail during that time. Without a warranty repair I had to pay the $88.48 diagnostic fee. I'm afraid I'll be stuck with the problem until it completely fails, which will probably be when it's out of warranty next month. To add to the piling on, a bearing blew on the way home from the dealer. Now we're waiting for a new axle and tent camping with the grand kids. The dealer had greased the bearings when we got it new and haven't had it for a year yet.
    Further follow up: Just got home after the dealer replaced axle, including hubs, breaks, and leaf springs. While it didn't fall under the recall listed above, it was replaced under warranty. I did pay to have the second axle bearings repacked for peace of mind. Kudos to Colerain RV of Dayton who always seem to do their best to meet my camping schedule.

Still no further information on the refrigerator intermittently shutting off. I've contacted my dealer, Grand Design, and Dometic, but without a clear diagnosis there's nothing they can do, or willing to do. Hopefully when it does die one of them will still cover it, even if it's out-of-warranty. I will be taking it back in for the gas regulator recall once they get parts.

Comment

hen my axle experienced a failure and I lost the hub, bearings, rim, tire, brake shoes, and it damaged the spindle (non GD unit), Dexter axle sent me 2 new axles with springs and all the necessary hardware to install including straps and bolts, and new lug nuts (did not use those as they did not fit the AL wheels on the camper).

Here is the instructions on inspecting for the missing race. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V618-5137.pdf Note the inspection tool is a 1/4" Allen key. the difference in race installed and missing is less than the 1/4" key used as an inspection tool.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Tom Scruggs We have a 2 way Norcold that intermittently shuts off as well. It started doing this the first 2 days of our 4 week trip. It isn't a 12v fridge, but AC and propane so I don't know if the issues are related. It seems to shut of only when we are traveling (yes, we leave our propane on) over bumpy roads. I'm thinking a loose connection somewhere. I'm curious if yours shuts off only when traveling as well.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
          We have a 2 way Norcold that intermittently shuts off as well. It started doing this the first 2 days of our 4 week trip. It isn't a 12v fridge, but AC and propane so I don't know if the issues are related. It seems to shut of only when we are traveling (yes, we leave our propane on) over bumpy roads. I'm thinking a loose connection somewhere. I'm curious if yours shuts off only when traveling as well.
          We only go a couple of hours each way usually so the fridge is off while traveling. It will shut off just sitting at the campground or in our driveway while plugged into shore power. I'll try tightening all off the connections I can find, but if it's a bad solder connection I'll likely never find the problem until it fails completely.

Comment

Tom Scruggs We have a 2 way Norcold that intermittently shuts off as well. It started doing this the first 2 days of our 4 week trip. It isn't a 12v fridge, but AC and propane so I don't know if the issues are related. It seems to shut of only when we are traveling (yes, we leave our propane on) over bumpy roads. I'm thinking a loose connection somewhere. I'm curious if yours shuts off only when traveling as well.
            To have the fridge shut off while operating on propane and travelling over rough roads is not uncommon. This has happened to us several times. Yes . . . we run with the fridge operating on propane (and check it at every rest stop . . . and restart if required) After comparing the risks of doing this vs letting your food warm up (even for a few hours) while travelling, this is our decision.

TucsonJim did some detailed research on fridge warmup . . . that I can't find at the moment . . . Jim ???

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

TucsonJim did some detailed research on fridge warmup . . . that I can't find at the moment . . . Jim ???

Rob
              Here is a link to the study I performed. Click on the PDF document in the first post for details. On a hot day, the refrigerator temperature will typically exceed the FDA maximum recommended temperature of 40°F in approximately two hours. If perishable food exceeds this temperature for more than two hours, it should be discarded.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-temperatures

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I set the fridge on 9 (coldest) because people traveling with me tend to think it's insta cold. After a couple of days in the shade, it froze the stuff on the top shelf of the fridge part.

I have some "pinky" size cube trays and it would freeze over the top of the compartments in 30 minutes.

Ended up backing the unit down to 7 and all was good till they put 1/2 a case of water in it. I don't think it ever really recovered from that before we got home.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Do y'all think it is worth replacing propane (2 way) fridge with DC (12V) fridge at about $1500?
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Do y'all think it is worth replacing propane (2 way) fridge with DC (12V) fridge at about $1500?
                    A lot depends on how you camp. Even a 12V fridge will take more battery power than a 2 way fridge running on propane. If you have sufficient battery capacity or a means to recharge the batteries (solar / shore power) the 12V DC fridge may be a better choice.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob--it depends on your specific camping style and your camper's power setup.

Assuming you have a single wet cell battery and OEM converter with no solar:

1) Boondock? A couple of LifePO4 batteries with solar and a small inverter/generator for emergency charging and you're good-to-go. That setup is going to be more than $1,500 to implement.

2) Always camp at a campground with power? Consider at least one LifePO4 ("Battle Born") battery and replacing the converter with one that is lithium-capable. Again, probably more than $1,500.

What I can state with authority is my DW is thrilled with the residential refrigerator in my 315RLTS. (The 12v and a "residential" both use compressor technology vs absorption to cool the unit.) The power setup cost me a small fortune (and my setup is more than actually needed after real-world use) but for the convenience and confidence in having safe food (along with a happy DW) I'd spend the money again. No regrets.

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I agree with Rob--it depends on your specific camping style and your camper's power setup.

Assuming you have a single wet cell battery and OEM converter with no solar:

1) Boondock? A couple of LifePO4 batteries with solar and a small inverter/generator for emergency charging and you're good-to-go. That setup is going to be more than $1,500 to implement.

2) Always camp at a campground with power? Consider at least one LifePO4 ("Battle Born") battery and replacing the converter with one that is lithium-capable. Again, probably more than $1,500.

What I can state with authority is my DW is thrilled with the residential refrigerator in my 315RLTS. (The 12v and a "residential" both use compressor technology vs absorption to cool the unit.) The power setup cost me a small fortune (and my setup is more than actually needed after real-world use) but for the convenience and confidence in having safe food (along with a happy DW) I'd spend the money again. No regrets.

Howard
                        We have a 300W solar panel with inverter and 2 wet cell batteries. We dry camp about 50% of the time. Our setup works well for our needs but the fridge drives me crazy. It struggles keeping temperature in a safe zone and takes 8 hours to get down to temperature when we turn it on. With our current setup The amperage draw from a 12V fridge wouldn't hardly make a difference....but...the cost of a 12V fridge :(

I am looking at replacing our batteries with a LifePO4 eventually and adding another 300W solar panel. But that's just to feel good
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Good day,

Is any one able to shed any light on the fridge issue or come up with a remedy. We have a 2019 Imagine 21BHE Domectic 2662 fridge and the fridge goes out periodically on shore power and gas. Battery is fully charged. Could be multiple times a day or not for days. Checked all the wiring. Starts right back up when the on/off button is pushed. Thank you for your time.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blackburn View Post
                            Good day,

Is any one able to shed any light on the fridge issue or come up with a remedy. We have a 2019 Imagine 21BHE Domectic 2662 fridge and the fridge goes out periodically on shore power and gas. Battery is fully charged. Could be multiple times a day or not for days. Checked all the wiring. Starts right back up when the on/off button is pushed. Thank you for your time.

Mike
                            I'm far from a Dometic fanboy (most here know I replaced mine with a residential and haven't looked back) but that's definitely not normal. My reason for doing it was lack of cooling but it always stayed on. If it's happening on both propane and shore power I'd say your problem is on the 12v side. If you're sure your wiring is solid with no loose connections, I'd maybe throw a board at it. I've had good luck with the dinosaur brand rather than the stock board.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                            X