Ice Maker Making Stinky Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Maker Making Stinky Ice

Our Samsung residential refrigerator is making unusable ice. The ice seems to be made with contaminated water. As it melts in a drink it changes the flavor and the drink burns the mouth and throat when we drink it. Water out of the faucet is fine to drink. We have changed the camper water filter, moved several times, sanitized the water system and now a month later the problem is back. The refrigerator does not have a water filter. We appreciate any ideas that might help us make this problem go away forever. Thanks

Hi Joe and Jane. Thanks for joining the forum. Is it possible to get to the water supply hose on the back of the refrigerator? Or maybe even detach the line to the ice maker inside the refrigerator? If so, you could detach it and run some water through the line in order to flush it. You mentioned that you sanitized the water system. With the burning of the mouth and throat, it sounds like there could have been some residual sanitizer (bleach?) left in the system. If you can't flush the system, I'd dump all the ice and make several new batches to see if that gets enough water through the system to help flush it out.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim, Thanks for your ideas. When I sanitized the ice maker I put highly chlorinated water into the tank and we used bottled water for about two days. Once we smell chlorine in the freezer we go back to city water and keep tossing the ice for awhile. Since it was a month between sanitizing and the recurrence of the burning ice I feel confident we flushed the system. Unfortunately we have no reasonable way to disconnect the hose for flushing.

Comment

What is the model number of your Samsung?
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

RF18HFENBSR. Thanks for your help and ideas!

Comment

I've been doing some research on that model and from what I gather, it does not have an internal filter. But Samsung recommends adding a filter to the water line for the ice maker. Is that possible with the way it's installed in your RV?

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

It would be quite difficult inside the camper, however, I'll look in the pass through and see if I can add it there. I need to empty out the pass through and clean it up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeandJane View Post
                It would be quite difficult inside the camper, however, I'll look in the pass through and see if I can add it there. I need to empty out the pass through and clean it up anyway.
                Or you could filter the water before it comes into the trailer.

We use a 5 micron filter at the faucet to remove sediment then into a water softener to remove calcium and finally a .1 micron charcoal filter in the Nautilus center to remove smells and small critters.. Total cost under $250 and fresh clean water eveywhere in the trailer.
                2017 310GK

Comment

Thanks, this sounds much more doable!

Comment

Working...
                  X