Adding Bedroom USB Charging Ports to 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Bedroom USB Charging Ports to 337RLS

After upgrading the existing ports in the coach I decided to add a few ports in the bedroom. I decided to add another port on the other side of the bed and also add wireless charging to the dresser. The port beside the bed turned out to be very easy in my 337RLS. To start you should unplug the coach from power or at least turn off the breaker that supplies the plug beside the bed. After removing the plug from the wall I was able to determine that there was plenty of depth to the wall and space to add a plug. I measured the other plug for height off the floor and made my new plug the same height. I also drilled a 1/2 hole down through the wall plate that came out in a very convenient place.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	USBBedPortOpenWall.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	49591Click image for larger version

Name:	USBBedPortHoleDrilled.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	49592
    These supply wires I made long enough to reach back to the fuse panel. Now with the wiring for this part ran I hooked up the new USB charge port and installed it in the wall and put the plug back in place.

Name:	USBBedPortInstalled.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	49593
    Ok. Down in the cargo area I found the wire and ran it back towards the fuse panel and will connect this in when I get the other ports wires also.

Name:	USBBedPortWire1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	49594Click image for larger version

Name:	USBBedPortWire2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	49595
    Next post will go into the dresser wireless USB charge ports.
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    Wayne - MD Non-Comm Class A
    2006 F350 CC DRW (6.0 DFC Tow haul & Bulletproofed)
    2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Nice work. Did you know they make outlets with USB ports in them? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-0BW/205092277
    John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
    2017 Jayco 26BH
    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Now it was time to figure out the location of the wireless charging could go without disrupting the drawers. I figured out that I could put the devices between the drawers and they would not hit anything. For my dresser 19 1/8 from either side to the center of the hole and 5 1/4 from the back wall was the most preferred.

Name:	DresserPortsLayout.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	49598
      I used a 2 5/16 hole saw to bore the holes in the dresser top. I did have to file with a half round file the hole a little bigger to get them to fit snug. I wanted a snug fit as these will get pushed on to have them popup to expose the other two ports. The devices that I installed are the Sigma SP0206 version. These are the slower charging version but I thought with all the other faster ports available in the coach these would be fine for the dresser.

https://www.sigmaswitches.com/PDFs/W...s_by_SIGMA.pdf

After the devices were installed it was simple wiring that I will just document with pictures. I did install a switch on the left side of the dresser to turn off the wireless charge ports as they do draw power when they do not have a phone/device on them.

Name:	Dresser Ports Switch.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	49599

Name:	DresserPortsWiring1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	49601Click image for larger version

Name:	DresserPortsWiring2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	49600Click image for larger version

Name:	DresserPortsWiring3.jpg
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	49602
      In the last picture you can see where I tried to anchor the wire closer to the top but I think there is some aluminum structure behind the paneling as my screw would not go through it easily and I did not want to drill a pilot into the outside wall of the coach.

I will continue this in the next post.

2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

Continuing on with the wiring I found the plumbing coming up through the floor in the bottom of the dresser and that was a great way to get into the cargo area.

Name:	DresserPortsWiring4.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	49604Click image for larger version

Name:	DresserPortsWiring5.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	49605Click image for larger version

Name:	DresserPortsWiring6.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	49606
        I used a flat screwdriver and needle nose pliers to remove some of the black silicon they placed around the hole to seal it up. Be very careful not to damage the pex water lines as your digging around the sealant.

Name:	DresserWiringPorts8.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	49607Click image for larger version

Name:	DresserPortsWiring7.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	49608
        Now we have both feed wires all the way back to our fuse panel where I tied them into the same fuse that power the other front USB charge port. Continued in next post.
        2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

I found in my coach that the "Bath" fuse was the fuse that powers the USB and lights in the Bedroom (also does the Bathroom).

Name:	USBPoweredByFuse.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	49611
          Then I plugged the fuse cover off and plugged out the fuse box from the cabinet and found the wire that the fuse powers behind the box. I spliced in my two feed wires and now they are powered by the same fuse that the other port is powered by.

Name:	USBPoweredByWires.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	49610
          The finished result is below.

Name:	DresserPortsFinished.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	49612
          And now I am done adding usb ports to my coach. I hope.
          2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
            Nice work. Did you know they make outlets with USB ports in them? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-0BW/205092277
            I know those are available but I like to have my usb ports powered by the 12V power in the coach. On travel days and other boondocking times I prefer to not have to run the generator for things like this.
            2019 Grand Design 337RLS

Comment

WRingling -- really nice work and documentation. Of course you know this is going on the Modifications list!

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X