Furrion - Side and Rear Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion - Side and Rear Cameras

I did not install this myself. I had the dealer install it for me when I purchased the camper and had it factored into my price. We went with the Vision S 7" 3 camera system. I probably would not suggest 5" to anyone, I tend to think that is too small to see anything well....let alone multiple cameras.

https://furrion.com/products/7-visio...39332808196279

I guess we could have gone with the 4 camera system; but I didn't see a lot of value in having a door camera. We primarily use this when driving/towing. We do not use it while in the camper, although I guess we could? I have not tried to hook it up to see. I would have to see if the connection from the towing wiring harness (7 pin) in this regard is also tied into the camper's 12V system. I do not think that it is, but could be wrong. A small down side, I have to turn the lights on the truck to "ON" not "AUTO". Which I don't care for either, but this is minor. This is so the camera's themselves have power through the 7 pin wiring harness.

Overall, I am please with the product and between the rear camera and a side mirror upgrade...I feel very safe and am able to see traffic all around the camper with ease. The rear camera can be adjusted and has a wide angle type lens? I am able to see cars not just at a distance behind me, but as they are passing in another lane.

The touch screen in powered by 12V plug. We usually attach to the windshield and it stays in place well. It does have a view that shows all cameras, but they are smaller boxes at that point and that is less helpful. The biggest downside is that it will not stay locked on an all view or maybe the side views. I bought the side cameras before we considered upgrading the F-150 truck mirrors to towing mirrors (more expensive than the cameras). So, it was a safety function. With good mirrors and the backup camera, I find I do not use the side cameras as much. I tend to let the screen go to the rear and stay there. Although the side cameras have been nice for really tight/narrow roads, although I know how close I am without it.

It's been almost a year, so I cannot remember...but I think the dealer had trouble fitting an LED bulb back in the side marker/cameras. It may be a standard bulb. I don't care for this either...but again this is minor.

I tend to think people do not even notice the side cameras. I am not sure they really notice the back camera either.

We have not noticed any real issues with reception over the wireless connection. Maybe on a longer rig this could be an issue for the rear camera?

A few minor downsides, but it is a worth while upgrade and if it helps even a little with safety - that is worth the money to me. I strongly recommend a rear camera. I slightly recommend the side cameras. I would at the very least do the rear camera if I were to do this again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 04-10-2021, 02:53 PM.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

I have them as well and mimmic your opinion regarding the side cameras. They are nice to have and do come in handy on occasion but with the proper tow mirrors you don't really need them very often.

Fortunately for me, I kind of ended up with the Vision S7" 3 camera system for free, as part of my negotiation was to get the backup camera system included with the purchase and expected to get the entry level system with just the single backup camera and small screen. I later contacted the dealer while my unit was being built and asked to upgrade to the Vision S 7" 3 camera system and I would pay the difference at closing. I noticed during the PDI that they had been installed already and I even asked the finance manager while doing the paperwork where the charges were for the upgraded system. He didn't know what I was talking about and said that if I owed anything that the service dept. would have me pay for it prior to taking delivery....fast forward an hour later and I am ready to leave, I asked the service dept. manager about it and he said he didn't have any paperwork stating I owed anything for the upgrade so I wasn't going to ask again. Long story short, I guess I can write it off as negotiated into the deal.....

I also agree that I wish the monitor had more options such as configuring the camera layout on the screen, allowing you to select different camera and lock them in so it stays in that view....
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
    USMC Veteran

Comment

I just installed the rear and side cameras Thursday. I got the 7" monitor because I had the smaller one and could never see enough on the screen to make it worthwhile.

My initial problem with this setup was that the rear first worked, but then lost its signal once the sides were installed. Then I removed the rear paired it again in the truck and remounted it on the trailer. That made the right camera vanish. So, I removed the rear again, paired both side cameras. Both worked. Next, I paired the rear one again in the truck and made sure all three were working.

I put the rear one back but didn't screw it in and made sure they were all working. since they were I buttoned it all up and it's still working.

My sidelights are LEDs, not the bulbs that were originally installed by GD.

I've sent in a troubleshooting question to Furrion because the side cameras are labeled the opposite of where they are on the trailer. Left is right and Right is left. I've looked online to switch them and all I can find it the 'mirror' answer which does a horizontal flip of the picture, not the label for the cameras. I can live with it knowing it's messed up, but it would be nice if they were correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG
Views:	1915
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	50090

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.JPG
Views:	1710
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	50091
      John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
      ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
      2017 Jayco 26BH
      2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

In the camera layout, is it possible that its the pairing sequence that dictates location and naming. Think of it like TPMS, the order in which you program them determines how the vehicle knows what is where. You may need to alter the pairing sequence to correct the naming and location as the instructions may not have followed a programming update.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          In the camera layout, is it possible that its the pairing sequence that dictates location and naming. Think of it like TPMS, the order in which you program them determines how the vehicle knows what is where. You may need to alter the pairing sequence to correct the naming and location as the instructions may not have followed a programming update.
          I'll see what I can do about that. It means I'd have to remove one of the side cameras and disconnect it.

The rear camera was paired first and it is number four. There is no door camera and it's number one.

John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

So....I disconnected all three cameras. The connected the left ( #2 ), it paired and in the correct spot on the monitor. Connected the right ( #3 ), it paired and in the correct spot on the monitor. Then the rear ( #4 ) and that bumped #2 to the rear and the rear became #2.

I disconnected them all again and reconnected with #4 first, then #2 then #3 and all is well.

Thank you,

John
            John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

John, thanks for the follow up. It will most likely help someone else in the future.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I actually hooked mine up today... They have only been on the shelf since November 2019. My rear (4) was pre-paired as the door (1). I just re-paired it as #4 and the left and right was not hard to do. The hardest part was pushing the button on the cameras.
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I received a reply today from Furrion ( just a bit late ) they said to connect them numerically. I replied that didn't work, but I figured it out. Just took them a while to reply.
                  John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

So...someone asked a question and it got me thinking....can these work from inside the camper when not hooked up to the truck?

Perhaps I need to test with the truck not hooked to the camper first....but I don't think the cameras/lights have power unless the truck is connected, and my lights are "ON", not "AUTO", must be "ON".

But, would be neat to rig up a 12V connector or adapter and be able to see all 3 cameras at night from inside the camper. Has anyone done this? Wiring changes to rig needed?

Since I didn't install this...I was taking a much closer look at the content of the box. What is the round connector attached to the 12V connector? Looks like a similar one with bare wire ends (extra) in the box as well. Does anyone know what these are for? One pic is the screen plug in...the other is extra.
                    Attached Files
                    2020 Imagine 2400BH
                    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

I wonder if that's a power extender. Is there a base station for the camera's that needs power also?
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I wonder if that's a power extender. Is there a base station for the camera's that needs power also?
                        Where I didn't install the cameras...I don't know....I thought the cameras just used the power from the lights. There is no base...the cameras are fixed? I think? I know some people remove the rear camera...but I leave mine on 24/7/365.

I have a table top mount and a windshield mount - but these are just stands and have nothing to do with power. If it was a power extender...why would there be one on the 12V (cigarrette lighter) end?
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

bellis Looking at the manual for the rear view camera, it looks like a power cable for the rear camera. Don't know why they would put a cigarette lighter adapter on one though.

This is the manual I was looking in https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906125930...0001-2_web.pdf
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

bellis Looking at the manual for the rear view camera, it looks like a power cable for the rear camera. Don't know why they would put a cigarette lighter adapter on one though.

This is the manual I was looking in https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906125930...0001-2_web.pdf
                            I looked through the manual - but I don't see what page you are on. Can you give the page #?

Based off page 19 - mine are wired to the lights. I guess if I wanted them to work when not hooked to the truck, I would have to run a wire from the 12V busbar to the spot under the camper near the self resetting breaker and figure out where to wire the power into those lights. I could put a switch so as to turn it on and off; but the lights around the camper would probably turn on.

Does anyone have a better solution?
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Diagram on page 14.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X