Heater Issue while boondocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Issue while boondocking

I have a 2021 Imagine 2600RB. The Suburban heater is integrated with the Furrion A/C unit. Without the Furrion A/C plugged into shore power the heater won't shut off until the heater has overheated the trailer as the thermocouple is in the ceiling A/C unit. I've gotten some suggestions regarding putting the thermocouple through the foam filter into the room and turning off the fan. Does anyone have another solution to this issue?
    Tim and LeAnn
    2021 RAM 2600 Turbo Diesel
    2021 Imagine 2600RB

I too have the same problem with my new 260RB. The issue appears to be the thermostat for both the heater unit and Furrion AC unit is in the AC unit. Search this site for "thermostat" issues and you will find the problem explained in detail and some possible solutions. Apparently GD is aware of it. I, along with many others, await their solution.
    Bill & Nan
    2021 Transcend Xplor 260RB
    2013 F-150

Comment

any update from GD on a resolution? Two owners in this thread with the same issue.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

tkmobley & Contractsguy Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have time, the moderators have created a welcome letter to help new members navigate the forum and complete their profile to make it easier to get the help that they seek. The welcome letter can be found at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I believe that there was just a long discussion about this. Hopefully someone involved in that discussion will chime in or if I run back across it, I will pos the link.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by tkmobley View Post
          I have a 2021 Imagine 2600RB. The Suburban heater is integrated with the Furrion A/C unit. Without the Furrion A/C plugged into shore power the heater won't shut off until the heater has overheated the trailer as the thermocouple is in the ceiling A/C unit. I've gotten some suggestions regarding putting the thermocouple through the foam filter into the room and turning off the fan. Does anyone have another solution to this issue?
          Hello! We’d recommend you contact our customer support team regarding this issue. You can contact them at 574-825-9679 or customerservice@granddesignrv.com - thank you!

Comment

We own a 2021 2600RB Imagine, new owner. Having similar issues as described above. I have pulled the sensor wire down from the a/c unit, thru the foam pad, about an inch. On our first trip this year, needed to use the furnace. Set the thermostat to 'Heat', 68 degrees and 'A'. When the furnace would cycle, warm air would come out the lower floor ducts but cooler air was also blowing out the ceiling ducts. TT has Furion A/C and Suburban furnace. What was odd is that the air would not always come out of the ceiling ducts on a furnace cycle. I just got off the phone with GD Customer Service and explained situation to them.... they suggested to take our TT to a servicing dealer to look at this. I was hoping for a better reply from GD since dealer appt scheduling is far out. Is the air flow supposed to work this way? Something I may do?

Thanks, Roger
            Last edited by RainboWillie; 05-04-2021, 01:00 PM.
            Roger
            2021 Imagine 2600RB
            Answer to my lady Kelly, and our 11lb Bichon Casper

Comment

RainboWillie tkmobley Contractsguy Hello, we have the same furnace and a/c. What you describe is pretty much the way ours operates. When set to heat and fan auto, while on shore power, the furnace fires first then the fan comes on to circulate the air, the reverse occurs on shut down, the cool air from the fan/a/c is the ambient temp. in your unit as the furnace warms the air that "cool" air warms along with the room, it is moving so feels relative cool, the furnace is producing a lot of warm air. The fan does a great job of circulating the air and getting rid of cool spots. We use the heat and auto setting to even the temps through out the unit then turn off the fan and just use the furnace unless significant cool spots develop. Many of us are patiently hopeful that a resolution to this is in the works, fingers crossed!

Dave
              flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave. Sounds like alot of us are in the same boat on this! Be safe.
                - Roger
                Roger
                2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

This might be a rhetorical question, but why not add a separate furnace control? Back in the 1982 model MH my parents had, the AC control was on the unit on the ceiling, and the furnace on the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-1611.../dp/B003G9DD8S

It might be old school and low tech, but results are what you are concerned about here.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I too have purchased a 2021 2600rb. We dry camp and from the posts I have read it looks like we might have to pull that thermostat out as suggested above for heating and turn the fan to off. Thinking about this I come to realize that I would never own a house whose thermistor is installed in the ceiling but the heating/cooling control is in the main room. If GD or furrion would provide complete manuals including service manuals electronically maybe I could make sense with all of this. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places and my dealer is no help.

Jlawles2, above suggested using a separate thermostat with built in temperature monitoring. That is a great solution but the install would be quite cumbersome. Others have suggested relocating the thermistor from the Furrion unit to a wall nearby, there is a thermistor with long leads available. Ideally, fish it next to the existing controller. This is another job as well.

What if there existed a wireless temperature controller that worked on 12 volts. The wireless real thermostat could be battery operated with on/off switch and command taped to any area in the rv, it could send out a temperature reading every 30 seconds to prolong battery life. The receiver would be attached to the existing temperature sensor plug in the A/C unit.

If GD or Furrion is reading these posts.....this might be an elegant solution. We did put men on the moon didn't we?
                    Pierre & Tara
                    2021 Imagine 2600RB
                    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
                    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsky View Post
                      I too have purchased a 2021 2600rb. We dry camp and from the posts I have read it looks like we might have to pull that thermostat out as suggested above for heating and turn the fan to off. Thinking about this I come to realize that I would never own a house whose thermistor is installed in the ceiling but the heating/cooling control is in the main room. If GD or furrion would provide complete manuals including service manuals electronically maybe I could make sense with all of this. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places and my dealer is no help.

Jlawles2, above suggested using a separate thermostat with built in temperature monitoring. That is a great solution but the install would be quite cumbersome. Others have suggested relocating the thermistor from the Furrion unit to a wall nearby, there is a thermistor with long leads available. Ideally, fish it next to the existing controller. This is another job as well.

What if there existed a wireless temperature controller that worked on 12 volts. The wireless real thermostat could be battery operated with on/off switch and command taped to any area in the rv, it could send out a temperature reading every 30 seconds to prolong battery life. The receiver would be attached to the existing temperature sensor plug in the A/C unit.

If GD or Furrion is reading these posts.....this might be an elegant solution. We did put men on the moon didn't we?
                      Hello and welcome to the forum. We did put men on the moon! At the risk of going way off topic, Michael Collins, the pilot of Apollo 11's Command Module Eagle died recently. His book Carrying the Fire is outstanding and highly recommended reading (or listening, as I enjoy Audible).

OK...back to the topic. As you'll read in post #5, is reading these posts and I assure you GD management is well aware of the issues. Please contact GD Customer Service as she requested and they will provide up-to-date information.

Howard

P.S. When you're done reading Collins' book (I'm kidding) please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

"OK...back to the topic. As you'll read in post #5, is reading these posts and I assure you GD management is well aware of the issues. Please contact GD Customer Service as she requested and they will provide up-to-date information.

Howard"

Fyi, in my reply post #6 above I did contact Customer Service and they were not aware of this issue and just told me to contact a dealer for assistance. So I do hope Brittany is reading this so we could have an update. Not a serious issue here, just if a fix is in the works it would be nice to know. Thanks!

Roger
                        2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Originally posted by RainboWillie View Post
                          Fyi, in my reply post #6 above I did contact Customer Service and they were not aware of this issue and just told me to contact a dealer for assistance. So I do hope Brittany is reading this so we could have an update. Not a serious issue here, just if a fix is in the works it would be nice to know. Thanks!
                          Thanks for the feedback, RainboWillie.

-- see post 12, too.

Comment

I purchase my 2600RB in March and the heater issue was one of the first modifications I tackled. Having the temperature sensor for the heater in the A/C duct made no sense and the “thermostat” (it is not a thermostat as it has no temperature sensor, just a wall unit) didn’t have an auto mode to switch between cooling and heating. The controller that comes standard with the RV (located inside he A/C) can only communicate digitally with the wall unit which is just an input device. I had to replace the controller with part number FACC12SA-BL from e-trailer.com. This part has analog wiring to work with a standard thermostat. I replaced the wall unit with a thermostat from Honeywell. The needed wires are already in place between the wall and the A/C. You also tie into the heater control wiring inside the A/C just as it did with the old controller. The thermostat must run off batteries as there is no low voltage AC power available, but the batteries will likely last a year. Now the heater and A/C come on independently based on the thermostat on the wall. The heater does not need AC power to run now. It works very well.
                            2021 Imagine 2600RB
                            2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Diesel
                            Hensley Hitch - eliminates sway!

Comment

Originally posted by Bwilkerson View Post
                              I purchase my 2600RB in March and the heater issue was one of the first modifications I tackled. Having the temperature sensor for the heater in the A/C duct made no sense and the “thermostat” (it is not a thermostat as it has no temperature sensor, just a wall unit) didn’t have an auto mode to switch between cooling and heating. The controller that comes standard with the RV (located inside he A/C) can only communicate digitally with the wall unit which is just an input device. I had to replace the controller with part number FACC12SA-BL from e-trailer.com. This part has analog wiring to work with a standard thermostat. I replaced the wall unit with a thermostat from Honeywell. The needed wires are already in place between the wall and the A/C. You also tie into the heater control wiring inside the A/C just as it did with the old controller. The thermostat must run off batteries as there is no low voltage AC power available, but the batteries will likely last a year. Now the heater and A/C come on independently based on the thermostat on the wall. The heater does not need AC power to run now. It works very well.
                              Informative post--thank you.

What model thermostat? I did a quick look at Honeywell's website but there's too many to guess.

For those reading, more info on the single zone controller here: https://furrion.com/products/singe-zone-controller

Noted that was your first, so glad you're here and when you get a chance check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X