Refrigerator electrical burn out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator electrical burn out

I have a 2019 Transcend 28MKS. The fridge i noticed this week jumping into gas mode, On further inspection on opening the outside access I found the refrigerator outlet and plug black and melted with prongs missing from the cord I should I be worried about any other electrical items on a 2 year old camper. Trying to get it serviced as to not spoil the start of camping season. I am just now trying to calm my girlfriend as everyone said Grand Design had a excellent record and this has her worried that it could have burned up the camper. The surge protector and breaker did not trip and that is what had me worried.
    Attached Files

meking1975

Wow . . . that was a very hot connection. Probably a fault in this one outlet, but I would carefully inspect all other outlets . . . particularly if there is something “permanently” plugged in.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would agree hopefully just a bad receptacle. I actually had a brand new GFI smoke and throw sparks, never tripped the breaker.
      2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
      Traded 2021 Reflection 337
      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
      Formerly M&K337

Comment

It looks like the issue was with the outlet. I'd replace the outlet and the power cord on the refrigerator and then have the entire electrical system checked out.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by meking1975 View Post
          I have a 2019 Transcend 28MKS. The fridge i noticed this week jumping into gas mode, On further inspection on opening the outside access I found the refrigerator outlet and plug black and melted with prongs missing from the cord I should I be worried about any other electrical items on a 2 year old camper. Trying to get it serviced as to not spoil the start of camping season. I am just now trying to calm my girlfriend as everyone said Grand Design had a excellent record and this has her worried that it could have burned up the camper. The surge protector and breaker did not trip and that is what had me worried.
          As Rob said WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give your local fire department a call. Maybe they have an inspector that can look at it and tell what happened. Some insurance company's have experts too.

I would also send pictures to GD too. Maybe they might help.

In the second photo did the back of the fridge get burnt too? Looks like additional damage.You might want to file a report with the safety folks NHTSA. https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Please post back on what you find out.

Thinking here - Did you happen to have a bad storm in your area? Wonder if water got in or a voltage surge. I'm going to check mine now.

Trying to help Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I'm wondering if the connections inside the plug were bad, note the charring around the snaps. Also wondering if possibly the heating element shorted out drawing that much power, but just below the amp trip threshold of the breaker.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X