Thermal Fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Fuses

First trip in our 17mke the thermal fuse on the water heater fried. Bypassed and got replacements on Amazon. Second trip the thermal fuse in the fridge fried while on the road. Dometic fridge. After numerous phone calls and stops at RV dealers had to bypass the fuse or let the fridge freezer thaw. Contacted GD but no real assistance. We are pretty remote and no GD dealers close by. Will be remote for another 3 weeks.

Area that the thermal fuse sat is not hot. Around 100 degrees when fridge is operating. After a week bypassed no problems. It blew in Texas and now in Central Canada so ambient quite a bit lower.

I'm wondering if the rear mounted fridge might be a design flaw and did air turbulence while driving cause the fridge not to exhaust heat properly.

Anyone had problems with their thermal fuses primarily on the fridge?

BTW, I do have extra water heater fuses and could modify one for the fridge if I need to.

Welcome Grand_Gord.

Can you please list the make and model of your refrigerator and water heater for trouble-shooting suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Grand_Gord Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have time, the moderators have created a welcome letter to help new members navigate the forum and complete their profile to make it easier to get the help that they seek. The welcome letter can be found at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Gord View Post
        First trip in our 17mke the thermal fuse on the water heater fried. Bypassed and got replacements on Amazon. Second trip the thermal fuse in the fridge fried while on the road. Dometic fridge. After numerous phone calls and stops at RV dealers had to bypass the fuse or let the fridge freezer thaw. Contacted GD but no real assistance. We are pretty remote and no GD dealers close by. Will be remote for another 3 weeks.

Area that the thermal fuse sat is not hot. Around 100 degrees when fridge is operating. After a week bypassed no problems. It blew in Texas and now in Central Canada so ambient quite a bit lower.

I'm wondering if the rear mounted fridge might be a design flaw and did air turbulence while driving cause the fridge not to exhaust heat properly.

Anyone had problems with their thermal fuses primarily on the fridge?

BTW, I do have extra water heater fuses and could modify one for the fridge if I need to.
        I had similar problems with the thermal fuse on my water heater. For what I thought was safety reasons I installed the replacement directly over the burn tube and it went out within a couple days. I have since found that if i bend the wire such that it is off to the side just a little it will not blow the fuse. It is still close enough that an actual fire should set it off.
        2021 Imagine 2600RB
        2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Diesel
        Hensley Hitch - eliminates sway!

Comment

I had the thermocouple go on my fridge the first trip too. It was unseasonably hot (40 degrees Celsius) when we left home and I left the fridge on propane. It must have cut out fairly soon, because we had melted ice cream 5 hours later when we got to the first stop around 11pm. I won't be running it while driving anymore I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by UUoody View Post
            I had the thermocouple go on my fridge the first trip too. It was unseasonably hot (40 degrees Celsius) when we left home and I left the fridge on propane. It must have cut out fairly soon, because we had melted ice cream 5 hours later when we got to the first stop around 11pm. I won't be running it while driving anymore I don't think.
            Fridges have been known to "blow out" while traveling on propane and not be able to relight. It may not be the thermal couple that is the issue , hopefully.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Fridges have been known to "blow out" while traveling on propane and not be able to relight. It may not be the thermal couple that is the issue , hopefully.

Brian
              Mine definitely was. It is at the dealer being repaired as we speak. I was pretty tired trouble shooting the problem. On the third try I figured it out. FYI the fridge doesn't work on 110v if its blown out either.

Comment

Hmmm… I had the thermal fuse burn out on my 22MLE hot water heater on first use as well. 22 years of RVing and never had a thermal fuse blow. And the fuse showed no sign of heat damage or scorching. I think I’ll give Bwilkerson’s idea of “moving it slightly to the side of the tube” a try. (Our 22MLE has a 12v refrigerator, so I can’t help on that aspect.)

Melsman
                2023 XLS 22MLE towed by a 2017 F150. This is our forth RV, though our first travel trailer.

Comment

Working...
                X