Furrion 12v Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 12v Fridge

According to this young lady, there is a modification that GD is doing to the fuse for the Furrion 12v fridge in many of the newer Transcend units. Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP3VCLh6siM

Thanks,

John
    John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
    2017 Jayco 26BH
    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
    According to this young lady, there is a modification that GD is doing to the fuse for the Furrion 12v fridge in many of the newer Transcend units. Is this true?
    I'm actually cringing watching that video. I got past the introduction but when the guy was removing all the screws to remove the refrigerator to access a fuse...I just couldn't watch anymore. Just crazy ridiculous. So much I want to write but will restrain myself...

or GDRV-Mariah , can you validate the video's claim that there is a modification kit that is available and that Transcend owners can get this installed at their dealer under warranty?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you, Howard.
      John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP3VCLh6siM

Thanks,

John
        Good morning! Okay, so in the video, there are a couple things that stick out to me... 1) There seems to be miscommunication on what is voided with warranty and what is not between Furrion and Grand Design. 2) The most important thing to do if having an issue like this is to contact your dealer like she states, which we'd recommend to do.

John & Jurie, please reach out to our customer support to verify with them on the correct solution and that we have everything documented our side. You can contact them at (574) 825-9679 or email to customerservice@granddesignrv.com Thank you!

howson
        GDRV-Mariah

Comment

Thank you, Brittany. I wanted to check with Grand Design before calling my dealer and creating a bunch of confusion for everyone involved.

John
          John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

I've called my dealer and they are unaware of any recalls or whatever for the fridge.

Here's the reply from Customer Service at GD.

Good Afternoon John,

Thank you for reaching out to Grand Design, we are happy to review.

I am sorry but I am not aware of this situation, I would warn you to be cautious of stuff you see on the internet.
            When you have time I recommend calling in and speak to a Regional Service Manager 574-825-9679 for further review.

Thank you,
            Customer Service
            Grand Design RV
            574-825-9679
            11356 County Rd 2
            Middlebury, IN 46540

This is why I asked.....if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

John
            John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Glad to hear information on 12 volt refrigerators. I am looking into having a 12 volt refrigerator after my 2019 GD Momentum G25 caught fire last week. Fortunately I was right there when it happened -- parked in parents driveway for 3 days, using their 120v power, then was preparing to return home. When I unplugged the 120 power the frig converts automatically to gas and a big fire went up the side of the G25 while I was hooking up the equilizer hitch to my pickup. I had not turned off the gas yet, so I turned it off and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Fire out, then used their garden hose to finish a good drenching with water. I can't imagine what would have happened if I wasn't right there or at a full hookup campground.

Comment

That is scary. I hope the damage was minimal.

John
                John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Originally posted by schoonod View Post
                  Glad to hear information on 12 volt refrigerators. I am looking into having a 12 volt refrigerator after my 2019 GD Momentum G25 caught fire last week. Fortunately I was right there when it happened -- parked in parents driveway for 3 days, using their 120v power, then was preparing to return home. When I unplugged the 120 power the frig converts automatically to gas and a big fire went up the side of the G25 while I was hooking up the equilizer hitch to my pickup. I had not turned off the gas yet, so I turned it off and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Fire out, then used their garden hose to finish a good drenching with water. I can't imagine what would have happened if I wasn't right there or at a full hookup campground.
                  Was there a determination on the cause?
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

there was no damage inside the trailer, a little smoke smell but mostly gone now (I kept all windows open last several days). Most damage on the slide out and slide topper and outside fiberglass part above the refrigerator. The fire started from the refrigerator when it auto changed from electric to gas. I don't know if the insurance will consider it totaled or not -- I know you never come out ahead or break even if it is totaled. I'm glad my inlaws house did not catch on fire or If I immediately took off having a burning trailer going down the road. Click image for larger version

Name:	top vent 3_1.jpg
Views:	4470
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	55183Click image for larger version

Name:	top vent upper area 3_1.jpg
Views:	4468
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	55184
                    Attached Files

Comment

schoonod -- can you please enter your VIN in your profile? Instructions in the Forum Use channel if not sure how to do it. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...ofile-a-how-to

Comment

schoonod
                        Thank you for posting the pictures and the further description of the event, but it is unclear to me is the cause of what appears to be a gas leak was determined. Did a Fire Marshal or other competent authority investigate the cause of the fire?

Please post when you add your VIN...

Comment

no fire marshall report. Insurance company taking care of the trailer. I had been using gas for 3 days prior to hooking up to 120 volts without problems. Since new I have multiple times changed between gas and 120volt and no problems. My usual procedure is to use 120v for 1 or 2 days prior to going camping to cool down the frig and load the food and change to gas night before leaving so I know everything is ok before heading out of town. I have done this with trailers for the past 40 years and this is the first time a problem has occurred. Dometic frig

Comment

I remember a neighbor experiencing a fridge fire years ago that was the result of a bee's nest in the back of the fridge. I know we are not supposed to use the protective aftermarket screens but we still do after witnessing that incident. Not stating this is the issue but it is something to watch out for.

Jim

Comment

I have the mud wasp protectors on both upper and lower units. Also each spring before first using the unit I have a air compressor and blow everything out and around both the frig unit and hot water heater unit. I also watch close to be sure I am always level - even parked at home. Got a call today - Grand Design is sending an investigator out to look at the unit. I'll let them and the insurance company work things out and hope the repair dealer can get the parts before summer is over

Comment

Working...
                              X