Furrion 12v Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schoonod View Post
    I have the mud wasp protectors on both upper and lower units. Also each spring before first using the unit I have a air compressor and blow everything out and around both the frig unit and hot water heater unit. I also watch close to be sure I am always level - even parked at home. Got a call today - Grand Design is sending an investigator out to look at the unit. I'll let them and the insurance company work things out and hope the repair dealer can get the parts before summer is over
    Scary experience for sure. See Howard's post on the new fangled Element fire extinguishers.

It will be interesting to know what they find.

Jim

Comment

For schoonod 's fire the system Chad and Tara installed in their Momentum would have been the solution. Expensive protection, but sure is scary seeing that blackened exterior.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

For schoonod 's fire the system Chad and Tara installed in their Momentum would have been the solution. Expensive protection, but sure is scary seeing that blackened exterior.

Been around many fire suppression systems in cars and in test cells but they are $$$$ depending on the complexity. I'm hoping a root cause will be found so we can watch for this condition.

The one shown would have saved the day for sure.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
          I've called my dealer and they are unaware of any recalls or whatever for the fridge.

Here's the reply from Customer Service at GD.

Good Afternoon John,

Thank you for reaching out to Grand Design, we are happy to review.

I am sorry but I am not aware of this situation, I would warn you to be cautious of stuff you see on the internet.
          When you have time I recommend calling in and speak to a Regional Service Manager 574-825-9679 for further review.

Thank you,
          Customer Service
          Grand Design RV
          574-825-9679
          11356 County Rd 2
          Middlebury, IN 46540

This is why I asked.....if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

John

We are the ones that created the video. I assure you we are not liars 🙂 After waiting months for our service appointment, we finally will get the conversion kit installed by our dealer next week. I also documented all conversations, emails that I had with every rep on GD side and Furrion side. I posted the video to help the many people that end up having no working fridge, no idea why, and waiting months to get into a service. After speaking to many people, the other camper manufactures actually install a door on the outside of the camper by fridge, making access the fridge fuse much easier, maybe GD should think about since this has happened to us multiple times. I hope the conversion kit works!
          Last edited by Pickenspartyof5; 07-31-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

1 time and I would call it just a bad fuse, 2nd time and I would be out of warranty b/c that fuse holder would be gone and extended as they suggested. On our first TT the fridge would blow the fuse when switching from 12V gas to shore power. Got luck on our 2nd long trip when it happened (on night one of course) and the camp store had fuses. The 2nd time it did it, luckily I had picked up a couple of the old glass style fuses just in case, the 3rd time I was done with it and made an adapter out of some spare wire, butt connectors and a blade style holder so I could use modern ATO / ATC fuses that are more easily found at autoparts stores (or under the hood of the truck in a pinch).

Those screw together BUSS round glass fuse holders tend to get brittle and break with age and heat.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Pickenspartyof5 View Post
              We are the ones that created the video. I assure you we are not liars 🙂 After waiting months for our service appointment, we finally will get the conversion kit installed by our dealer next week. I also documented all conversations, emails that I had with every rep on GD side and Furrion side. I posted the video to help the many people that end up having no working fridge, no idea why, and waiting months to get into a service. After speaking to many people, the other camper manufactures actually install a door on the outside of the camper by fridge, making access the fridge fuse much easier, maybe GD should think about since this has happened to us multiple times. I hope the conversion kit works!
              Welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owners' Forum.

To be fair to Grand Design, nothing in the response that was written by J & J Bumblebee specifically used the word "liar". Customer Service's response IMO was a carefully crafted generic response. Who doesn't know that just because it's on the internet that doesn't mean it's true? That doesn't mean it's ALL not true...just some of it.

Let me hasten to add that your frustration is shared by many here on this forum regarding problems that 1) should have never happened and 2) should be addressed quickly and efficiently once identified. There are many issues across the lineup today--many due to what appears to me to be last-minute substitutions and lack of integration testing. (That is my opinion--I'm just an owner like you and don't have any special knowledge other than my reading this forum--every post--every day.)

I hope you'll contribute to this forum in the future. The whole reason this place exists (paid for by Grand Design) is so owners can help other owners. Your information definitely helps in that regard, even though I wish it wasn't needed.

Howard
              Last edited by howson; 08-01-2021, 05:35 AM.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

We just experienced the same problem with 2021 GD Trancend Xplor BH265. Fridge was working fine when we were on shore power. I left it on max cool when I unhooked power to pull trailer home. When I got home the fridge had no power. After reading some posts about the fuse from GD and Jayco forums, I pulled the fridge out and replaced that 5x20 15 amp fuse and all is working fine for now. I usually turn fridge temp to "off grid" but forgot. Not sure if that had anything to so with this issue or just coincidence. We love the fridge and it keeps very cold. It was easy to get the fridge out and back in as we have the fridge in the slideout. It's hard to find the fuse in stores but it is on Amazon. Will have it checked when our dealer had availability.

Comment

It would be nice to know, as a New Owner of a 2022 Imagine 2600RB with the Furrion 12V Fridge, whether or not I need to have a spare pack of glass 15 Fast blow fuses on hand when we take the RV out camping? This RV was manufactured 10/2021. Has the problem been corrected in these 12V refrigerators by the manufacturer with a change or modification to prevent this unnecessary removal of the entire refrigerator to change a fuse?
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB
                  F150 Lariat 5.0L, 3.55, HD Tow Package
                  Dallas, Texas area

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Davis2 View Post
                    It would be nice to know, as a New Owner of a 2022 Imagine 2600RB with the Furrion 12V Fridge, whether or not I need to have a spare pack of glass 15 Fast blow fuses on hand when we take the RV out camping? This RV was manufactured 10/2021. Has the problem been corrected in these 12V refrigerators by the manufacturer with a change or modification to prevent this unnecessary removal of the entire refrigerator to change a fuse?
                    There is suppose to be a fuse located towards the front of the firdge, this is a fix from Furrion but I have not seen or heard that it has gone thru yet. I installed a 12 v fridge in our RV and put a 30 amp fuse in the back of the fridge, the fridge circuit is already fused at 15 amp so it should not be a problem. Also they are not glass fuses they are the blade type that is in the power center.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Has it ever been determined the root cause of the fire and if that was related to the LPG pressure regulator issue/recall or not? The transition from electric to LPG is conspicuous.

Jim

Comment

Mark295rl -- moved your post to it's own thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...freezing-issue

Comment

Was there ever a determination and conclusion to this?
                          2021 Momentum 25G
                          2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn
                          2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

Originally posted by Teamjd View Post
                            Was there ever a determination and conclusion to this?
                            What part of "this" are you questioning? If fuse relocation, that depends on the generation of the Furrion each owner has in their trailer. Anecdotally the moderators were told "it's in work" at Furrion to change the location of the fuse in the 12v refrigerator.

Howard

Comment

howson - I was referring to the fire. I run the fridge on propane while dry camping and am gone a few days at a time.
                              Are fridge fires common or was this a freak leak situation.
                              2021 Momentum 25G
                              2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn
                              2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

Originally posted by Teamjd View Post
                                howson - I was referring to the fire. I run the fridge on propane while dry camping and am gone a few days at a time.
                                Are fridge fires common or was this a freak leak situation.
                                This thread wondered onto many different topics (not unusual) so thank you for the clarification.

"Common"--no. But they do happen.

Changing Lanes (a YouTube couple) has a good video on the topic of fire prevention and specifically address the possibility of a refrigerator fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X