Convert your existing fridge to a residential fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bellis View Post

You think 1 LPG tank will only last 8 days with refrigerator use? We already drive with fridge on AC. More forest than desert (not sure we have any on the east coast). Typical operation on the battery plant.
    8 days is what our 2118 lasted. YMMV. Definitely keep tabs on your propane use and see how it goes. The bigger fridges are less efficient than the smaller ones. We full time so kept the fridge fairly well stocked which can have an effect on how long it runs.
    When you are outside around the trailer pay attention to the burner. You should be able to hear it. Get an idea of what kind of duty cycle it is running.
    Desert typically gives you more unobstructed sun hours so faster recovery of the battery bank using solar only.
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

bellis -- you have the numbers I showed in the graph on your power consumption thread for how much power is required (at least for the Haier I have). I think your setup is more than sufficient to go residential. One more battery wouldn't hurt, but not required.

Another way of coming to the answer if you're system is sufficient: how often do you run your current refrigerator on propane and, if you do, how long because you don't have enough battery power available?

Remember that many of us here have been doing these upgrades incrementally for years now. My .02 is to take one step at a time, ensure the mod is good and ensure you understand completely how to get the maximum from what you've done, and then press on.

One thing I can say with confidence--your DW will probably really like a residential. No way, no how will mine go back to using an absorption-technology (aka "RV") refrigerator.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Our refrigerator was in a cabinet all by itself (not in the middle of the counter) so we were able to buy any counter depth refrigerator we wanted. I got an open box Samsung at the appliance outlet for under $1,500. Removed the cabinet, and it sits free standing next to the couch now. I closed up the outside vents with rigid foam and black plexiglass panels I ordered. Already had the Inverter and batteries or it would have been a bigger issue. I originally had four Lion energy Batteries and added two more this spring. We are power hungry though with a two year old and working full time. Added the DC to DC charger and it makes a huge difference on rainy drive days. We’re five weeks into an extended and have only had probably ten days of hookups. I think I’ve run the generator twice. If we’re stationary for a long time and it clouds up, I have to fire it up after two days (1,200 watts of solar).
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          Our refrigerator was in a cabinet all by itself (not in the middle of the counter) so we were able to buy any counter depth refrigerator we wanted. I got an open box Samsung at the appliance outlet for under $1,500. Removed the cabinet, and it sits free standing next to the couch now. I closed up the outside vents with rigid foam and black plexiglass panels I ordered. Already had the Inverter and batteries or it would have been a bigger issue. I originally had four Lion energy Batteries and added two more this spring. We are power hungry though with a two year old and working full time. Added the DC to DC charger and it makes a huge difference on rainy drive days. We’re five weeks into an extended and have only had probably ten days of hookups. I think I’ve run the generator twice. If we’re stationary for a long time and it clouds up, I have to fire it up after two days (1,200 watts of solar).
          All posts are very helpful. ncitro would love to see pics of the back mod (plexiglass / foam).

howson - I agree. We have jumped right into the whole mod thing....and don't seem to be slowing down /smile But, in this case...want to get past a few things first and also want to see how we do on extended trips as is. the DW and I have said we need to sit down and prioritize our next upgrades....it doesn't take much...but it's not hard to drop a chunk of money =) I guess that is essentially 2nd home ownership for you...
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

All posts are very helpful. ncitro would love to see pics of the back mod (plexiglass / foam).

howson - I agree. We have jumped right into the whole mod thing....and don't seem to be slowing down /smile But, in this case...want to get past a few things first and also want to see how we do on extended trips as is. the DW and I have said we need to sit down and prioritize our next upgrades....it doesn't take much...but it's not hard to drop a chunk of money =) I guess that is essentially 2nd home ownership for you...
            Here is a thread where I put some pictures. I’ve since gone to a smaller fridge to save a little power (the one in that picture is now my house fridge lol).

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...l-fridge-model

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
            X