Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GoVee Water Detector with RF Wi-Fi Gateway (Mini Review / First Impression)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoVee Water Detector with RF Wi-Fi Gateway (Mini Review / First Impression)

Warning: This post may be damaging to your wallet.

First impression? Pretty cool. Don't miss the update at the very end of this post!

Why

I have GoVee detectors in my 2019 315RLTS (which I thought were "dumb", stand-alone sensors). With the addition of an accumulator and changing the water pump I wanted more detectors under and around these components, too. With the recent addition of a power switch to the refrigerator circuit I knew there was room behind the refrigerator so decided to place one there, too. (The kit purchased came with three detectors so why not?)

While researching to buy the additional alarms I came across what I thought were new "smart" versions of the GoVee alarm. I decided to give them a try.

What & How

The Govee Water Detector With RF Wi-Fi Gateway comes with three detectors and a Wi-Fi Gateway. The Wi-Fi gateway connects to the trailer's internet (usually WiFi or a phone hotspot, etc) and the detectors connect to the GoVee Wi-Fi Gateway. Setup was a little different as most devices I've purchased connect via Bluetooth. The Wi-Fi process wasn't too hard, though. The only "gotcha" was the app insisted on the gateway being close to the Winegard (my Wi-Fi internet connection). The Govee device ended up being plugged in to the UPS that powers the Winegard. Actually worked out quite well since the Govee won't disconnect if I turn off my Victron inverter for a short time.

Search YouTube and there are videos on the Wi-Fi pairing process. (I didn't need a video but a quick search revealed they are available.)

I labeled the three new detectors as shown in the picture at the bottom of the trio below. I used a wet paper towel to test their alarm function and ensure I had the app names matching the name on the component.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoVee Home Components.JPG
Views:	1551
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	55299

Results

The app is very easy to use. My notification sound is a "photon torpedo" (Star Trek) so there was a full-blown space battle coming from my phone while the alarms blared.

Name:	Govee Home App.JPG
Views:	883
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	55300

I also received emails about the leak, too. As long as the trailer is connected to the internet I'll get a notification on my phone if one of the alarms go off.

Name:	Govee Email.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	55301

Other Notes
    • Power consumption by the 120vAC Wi-Fi Gateway is very low--nearly imperceptible by my Victron BMV-712. (I was running exclusively off the inverter, no shore power or solar applied to the trailer.) Power usage will not be a concern when boondocking.
    • The app shows the battery level of each detector. That's fantastic as I was never sure about the battery level previously and would change them on a random basis.
    • The Gateway does reconnect to the previously selected internet connection when it loses power. I removed the Govee Gateway from the UPS to see if I could determine the power draw with the Victron battery monitor. When I plugged the GoVee back in it reconnected within a few moments. Awesome.
    • These new detectors can be adjusted to lower the db of the alarm when it sounds--they can even be muted. The instructions for the previous GoVee's don't mention this capability and I didn't test it. (I want them blaring if they detect water.)
    So that's it...any questions, I'll try to answer them. These are new to me as of 26 May 21 so if there's an update or unseen "gotcha" I'll be sure to update this thread.

Howard

P.S. What's even better is I discovered, while writing this post and researching information,is that the previous GoVees I have will connect to the Wi-Fi Gateway! WooHoo!!! I immediately went out and got them configured. Below is what I now see on the GoVee app.

Name:	What I See Now.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	55303

Attached Files
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Thanks Howard!

I installed these a few months ago and am very pleased with the performance. The DW laughs when She sees yet another app for the rig.

Fortunately your post is not costing me more money!,

Jon
    Jon
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2018 Silverado 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

So the next step would be to tie this into the power to the pump and a solenoid at the city water inlet. I realize that you would turn off the pump and the city water inlet when you are not at the camper. In the event that you are sitting around the fire or just across the road at another camper or sleeping it would take you a few minutes to get the notification , and then get the water turned off. This could equate to few gallons of water being sprayed or dumped into the worst place in the RV to get dry. Just thinking you are this far into it you might as well go all the way.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We've had heavy thunderstorms moving through NW Florida and I just got an alert from GoVee on my phone!

Name:	GoVee Phone.JPG
Views:	865
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	58649

Sure enough, a tiny amount of water had slipped past the Dometic vents and inside the camper, behind the refrigerator. Nothing major, but neat that the system actually works. (I'll have to seal up those vents better since I don't use them anymore with the Haier residential.)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Howard, You should look at buying some of the thin Kydex from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and form fitting it to the vents, holding it in place like the bug screens with zip ties and silicone to prevent leakage, then seal the removable panels closed with silicone to prevent water intrusion. If you want extra insulation, build a couple of "frames" out of 1x1 or 2x2 around the vents to space the foam board away if needed clearance.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            howson Howard, You should look at buying some of the thin Kydex from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and form fitting it to the vents, holding it in place like the bug screens with zip ties and silicone to prevent leakage, then seal the removable panels closed with silicone to prevent water intrusion. If you want extra insulation, build a couple of "frames" out of 1x1 or 2x2 around the vents to space the foam board away if needed clearance.
            That's very interesting--I have no idea what that stuff is like to work with. Thanks for the link.

Comment

howson Howard, it's a thin plastic. Thermo forms really nice if you are interested in heating it in the oven (wife might need to be out of town when you do this) and can vacuum it down or weigh it to conform.

Excuse the redneck ness of using it for a gun holster (this is where I actually learned about the stuff), but look at the potential uses. It forms really easy, even the thicker stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca_XjYVbZpU
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X