• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charred/scorched wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1FE47EF2-5EEB-4C30-95DA-C94699F1F598.jpeg
Views:	1057
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	5542This has also been noted elsewhere but am curious what GD official stance is on this. I really feel this should be a recall event. Not all members are going to have the technical know how or ability to fix on theIr own. I have seen some response that maybe due to a blown internal fuse- not the case. I removed mine prophylactically to look as micro is still functional. Absolutely no way would this pass muster in a sticks/bricks.
    This has been noted before but I finally got around to pulling the microwave based on other owners posts. 2017 377 March build with High pointe micro. We are weekenders and get out approx 6 weekends and 2 week long trips a yr. use the microwave regularly but convection function infrequently. I have meant to pull out the mico and check for thr reported charring that can occur on the wall. Got around to pulling our micro and was not at all shocked to see the same. Definitely a safety issue. Based upon response on FB it doesnt sound like GD has any concerns because there has not yet been a “combustion event”. This absolutely is a fire risk and should be a recall. Until one of us burns down our unit I doubt there will be.

My fix was to go to local Menards and purchase 6”x18” aluminum sheet. I cut in half- double stacked and screwed in the wall to act as a heat shield. Still not sure about using the convection function and def would not use if I was not present at the rig to keep an eye on it.
    Attached Files
    Ryan and Ali
    2017 377 MBS-R- 2017 GMC Denali
    Disc brakes, Morryde suspension upgrades many more
    Pullrite Superglide 18k

I agree with the air gap. I put a few washers in between the aluminum plates to give a few mm of air. Like you mentioned the microwave sits basically right against the wall. I even found the paperwork for installation even in the ventless instal such as GD uses there is no mention of minimum distance from the back wall. I thought about the shim idea as well- but the upper mounting hardware screws through an upper cabinet and a 2x4 so this would be difficult to change. As far as taking to dealer- I do all my own maintenance/repairs have not needed or wanted to bring back in yet. Right now Im leaning towards not using the convection fxn at all.
    Ryan and Ali
    Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

Read the OPs post and see this is a convection micro. Wondering which function is resulting in the back panel heating? Burning on both functions? It would be worth testing the microwave on a bench to see if there are differences in temperature between convection and microwave operations and to measure those surface temperatures.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Sometime ago (several months as I recall) GDRV began installing exterior "flapper" vents again. Makes me wonder if this excessive heat and wall burning issue was the reason or if it was simply that a number of folks have requested for quite some time that vents be part of the build as they used to years ago..........or maybe another reason(s).

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Good afternoon. I did want to provide this info for you. It was posted by myself on a FB post that was similar to this. You had asked for the GDRV stance, so I wanted to provide it to you!

We take your concerns extremely serious and always act accordingly in matters of public safety. Each concern is examined and the appropriate response is then shared with the public. My responses must be carefully crafted to avoid any confusion and to try and prevent escalation of an issue, especially issues where an owner fears they have a safety concern.

In the matter of discoloration behind the High Point Microwave/Convection oven, it was determined by the vendor that when the unit is used for extended periods of time, exhaust can discolor the vinyl wall board but does not become hot enough to result in combustion. There are absolutely zero incidents of combustion related to this concern.

For customers who have experienced this concern, we are advising the use of aluminum foil faced tape to act as an additional heat barrier behind the exhaust vent of the convection oven. It is also acceptable to use a thin piece of metal or EGS to the same end.

Thank you

Comment

Wood will begin to char somewhere between at 248F and 302F. Wood will ignite at 536F to 896F which is rather high. If GDRV or the supplier has done a proper failure mode & effects analysis, of worse case temperatures at the back of the unit, we would be ok with the heat tape.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
              In the matter of discoloration behind the High Point Microwave/Convection oven, it was determined by the vendor that when the unit is used for extended periods of time, exhaust can discolor the vinyl wall board but does not become hot enough to result in combustion.
              The installation manual (see attachment below, page 20) that came with my Furrion FMCM15 unit makes it sound like a recirculating installation (non-vented, ductless) would have no exhaust leaving the back of the unit.

Furrion Over the Range Microwav - Furrion.pdf

If installed as a non-vented unit with the exhaust coming out the front through a charcoal filter, how can the exhaust discolor the wall?

Some units, like the FMCM17-BL, can be used in a ducted or non-vented installation. There's even a manual setting to ensure the fan is blowing in the correct orientation (see pic of page 16 below). If the owner has a unit like the FMCM17, wouldn't it be advisable to ensure the fan is set to the correct setting and that there's a charcoal filter installed? (The filter is referenced in the installation manual for non-ducted units.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5673
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                If installed as a non-vented unit with the exhaust coming out the front through a charcoal filter, how can the exhaust discolor the wall?
                This statement is 100% correct. Although our unit has the high pointe appliance, I too have gone through the installation manual to make sure there are no installation errors (need for minimum distance from walls/ airgaps ect). The exhaust in our unit and countless others is front direct venting exhaust that does not at all exhaust out the rear of the unit and would not have caused “wall discoloration”. If you look carefully at the images I posted the wall covering material is melted onto the back of the appliance back wall No where near any vents. Also look closely at the pictures of the charred wall and I would argue you can see charred wood (it is not discolored as if you run your finger across it you will pick ip carbon deposits ie soot.) and arguably a smoke trail the extends from the left burn area to the right as it rises superiorly.
                Ryan and Ali
                Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

Ryan,

When your unit was removed, did you try to run it on a tabletop to see where the heat is coming from? I think some micros have better sealing diverters than others but we will not know until its ran outside the cabinet.

Jim

Comment

That is a good plan. If i find some time this weekend I will try to go take it out and run both on convection and microwave functions. I do have a heat gun so will use that to measure
                    Ryan and Ali
                    Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
                      In the matter of discoloration behind the High Point Microwave/Convection oven, it was determined by the vendor that when the unit is used for extended periods of time, exhaust can discolor the vinyl wall board but does not become hot enough to result in combustion.
                      Emily- how do you/GD explain the “discoloration” and the melted wall paper that is stuck to the back of the microwave when there is no exhaust gasses exiting the back of the microwave. Our model as shown in the pictures directly vents/exhausts back into the rig from the front through a charcoal filter. No exhaust vents are present on the back of the microwave. Again I pulled this microwave to check for and found the burns as noted. The microwave and convection fxns work perfectly and are used relatively infrequently. No indication of a faulty appliance and the venting out the front occurs without impedence/obstruction.

Moderator Edit: GDRV-Emily
                      Last edited by TucsonJim; 10-23-2019, 02:39 PM.
                      Ryan and Ali
                      Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

GDRV-Emily have you had a chance to talk with anyone technical regarding my post directly above?
                        Ryan and Ali
                        Pullrite Superglide 18k

Comment

Just found this on Amazon and think I will order it - just to be safe. https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performa...s%2C303&sr=8-3

Comment

Originally posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
                            GDRV-Emily have you had a chance to talk with anyone technical regarding my post directly above?
                            Hwktlg8 i have relayed all info to our team, however, the info I posted is the info that I am consistently provided by all upper management. I am sorry if that is not what you want to hear. I can tel you that they are always looking in to this type of thing when they see it reported... but what was stated is where we stand on our answers and solutions.

Comment

Working...
                            X