Warning! Do not apply garmin update 7.5 to your gps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning! Do not apply garmin update 7.5 to your gps

Garmin's software update 7.5 just bricked my RV770. Wonderful. Guess I get to use my old Zumo 660 motorcycle GPS for my upcoming trip. (After 45 mintues on the phone with Customer Service, Garmin is going to send a refurbished unit.)

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	55541
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Lucky you! An update bricked a previous Garmin I had and they gave me squat.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Hmmm . . . this is not good. My Garmin is bugging me to update it. Should I ???

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We're hitting the road in about 3 weeks and I'd really like to update mine. Now I'm spooked.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          We're hitting the road in about 3 weeks and I'd really like to update mine. Now I'm spooked.

Jim
          The guy at Garmin CS said they'd turned off map updates...without explaining why. Do not apply a software update unless there's a dang gum good reason why you need to do so. I'm kicking myself as we leave Monday. <sigh> Now to figure out something else...replacement won't catch to me until we're at my daughters on 11 Jun.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I updated mine a couple of days ago and just now looked at this forum to check on posts.I have not had wifi since we left Florida in mid April. My RV780 is still working (thankfully) the version I am on is 9.3
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
              I updated mine a couple of days ago and just now looked at this forum to check on posts.I have not had wifi since we left Florida in mid April. My RV780 is still working (thankfully) the version I am on is 9.3
              Apparently each Garmin device has different software versions (but the same maps?). I have an RV770, so the experience (and warning) apparently only applies to that device.

Comment

howson Hi Howard. We recently had an issue with an automobile GPS on a trip and just plugged the phone into the vehicle with a usb cable and used the phone GPS on the cars screen to navigate. That also kept the phone charged. Perhaps you could do this through the SNYC-3 system in your F-350?

Dave
                flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                  howson Hi Howard. We recently had an issue with an automobile GPS on a trip and just plugged the phone into the vehicle with a usb cable and used the phone GPS on the cars screen to navigate. That also kept the phone charged. Perhaps you could do this through the SNYC-3 system in your F-350?

Dave
                  Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. Definitely an option I'll add to the list of possibilities.

What I'm going to try first is an Android app called GPX Viewer. It looks like it will take the Basecamp-based (GPX file format) routes I've already got ready-to-go.

I'd use my trusty Zumo 660 (motorcycle GPS) but I don't have a compatible cradle that I can plug into the truck (sigh). No way the battery will power the Zumo for a travel day.

Always something...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    Apparently each Garmin device has different software versions (but the same maps?). I have an RV770, so the experience (and warning) apparently only applies to that device.
                    I think this is correct. I bought the Garmin RV890 last week and ran all the updates when I turned it on the first time. When I checked to see which software version it was running, I found multiple "versions" of the various installed software. Didn't see a 7.5 anywhere.
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

We're hitting the road with the RV soon, and I hadn't updated my RV 770 in over 18 months. There are a few new freeways along our route and an update was needed pretty badly. So I crossed my fingers and toes and gave it a shot. Version 7.5 loaded just fine and the GPS is working well.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The replacement Garmin sent needed a lot of updates--they all worked, too, including 7.5. Guess I was "lucky" with my first try?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          The replacement Garmin sent needed a lot of updates--they all worked, too, including 7.5. Guess I was "lucky" with my first try?
                          Why would you need a Garmin, if you have Sync-3 ???

Comment

Originally posted by Najataagihe View Post

Why would you need a Garmin, if you have Sync-3 ???
                            Beyond the scope of this thread. If you really want to discuss, start a new thread and compare the merits of the Sync 3 vs the Garmin. I'd be very curious to read your review and comments.

Comment

Personification of a dead GPS. When we hit the road one of my retirement gifts was a really cool high end Garmin Truckers GPS. It had all kinds of really neat bells and whistles and was pretty pricey. Then a thief took it. I hate thieves. My son told me I was better off without out it as the new smart phone had a better navigation system on it. And the one he talked me into was pretty good, right up until we lost cell service, then it didn't work so good. Then it went blank.

So while stopped at a truck stop I bought a little Garmin Nuvi GPS. It wasn't as big and smart as the truckers GPS I had but it had most of the roads on it and I could put in an address and it would tell me how far and which way to go, and didn't need the internet or cell service. Good to go.

But I soon learned that my Nuvi wasn't the smartest GPS. It worked pretty hard to get me to my destination faster, but it didn't know that you shouldn't take a 20k 5th wheel over two track forest roads. And then there was the time that they had removed the road, yup, Nuvi said it was there, but when we got to it the road had been overgrown for a number of years. Me and Nuvi kind of learned to get along. I wouldn't ask to much of it, and I would always trust but verify, and it was pretty happy to just keep on working and working. And it was kind of fun to watch the icon on Nuvi float through emptiness when driving on a new road that it didn't know about.

Then there were the GPS potholes. These are the little holes in the road where Nuvi couldn't figure out how to go through, so Nuvi would navigate right up to the pothole, then divert you off into the wilderness, 25, 50, 100 miles away, then bring you right back to the other side of the pothole, just a few feet away.

Me and Nuvi have traveled many many miles together. Nuvi didn't seem to care if it was cold, hot, day, night, sunny, rainy; Nuvi just kept doing it's thing. But about two summers ago Nuvi started to get a little sick. Bum battery malady. Nuvi started telling me that it was going to turn off because it couldn't find power. Then it would count down and go to sleep. No biggy, I just plugged Nuvi back in and it was pretty chipper. But it got sicker. It started complaining about getting too hot. It would say “Nuvi has turned off due to high temperatures in order to prevent hardware damage.” Or something like that. But it kept getting more and more sensitive to the heat and shutting down more often. Then it wouldn't work at all unless it was plugged in.

I knew Nuvi was terminally ill when Nuvi wouldn't stay on. I would start the car, plug Nuvi in, hit the power button. Nuvi would light up like Nuvi always did, but within a few seconds Nuvi would blink off. I made several attempts to resuscitate Nuvi, but I knew Nuvi was gone.

During Nuvi's lifetime the cell phone based navigation systems have gotten better, and sometimes even work without internet or cell coverage. But I miss my misunderstood Nuvi. Like a dear departed pet they were a pain some of the time but brought joy most of the time. It's going to be hard to replace Nuvi, it had a lot of character and we had some really crazy adventures together.

Who knows, perhaps Nuvi had the early variant of the problem that the RV770's are having. Of course there was no vaccine available for Nuvi. But bricked is bricked. I am sure that I will have to quarantine a new GPS for a couple of weeks before it can come into the truck. I have some handheld GPS's that need to be protected.

RIP Nuvi, the road won't be the same without you.
                              Last edited by d2reid; 06-23-2021, 12:31 AM.
                              2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                              2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                              E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                              Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                              X