Updated firmware on Rockford Fosgate PMX-1 - no longer branded Grand Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated firmware on Rockford Fosgate PMX-1 - no longer branded Grand Design

I was checking firmware on a bunch of items and I noticed that Rockford Fosgate has released a firmware update for the PMX-1 Source Audio Unit in my 2021 Solitude S-2930RL. I followed the directions (downloaded file, placed one at a time on the USB drive and followed procedure to update. The second update was the MCU (Micro Control Unit) and when it finished I no longer had control of the indoor/outdoor source speakers through the volume button or phone app. It basically rest the unit back to a generic one with a Fader control (Front is outside and Rear is inside). Also I no longer get the Grand Design branding when I turn it on - instead it displays RF when turning it on.

There are workarounds for the volume and the Aux input (used to be called TV) ... would be nice to return it back to the way it was (lesson learned ...)

This is where I found out about the update .... https://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/1205

Is there any way to get a copy of the MCU file that Grand Design uses to brand these radio units? The file would be named something like RF_M11_V_S2103117201a_RF1_071.smx or whatever Rockford Fosgate created specially for Grand Design.

The part number for my system is: 740166

Not sure if Rockford Fosgate pre-loads the firmware or if GD performs the update using a USB drive.
    Last edited by openrangeowners; 05-29-2021, 02:25 PM.
    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

I think this question will need to go to customer service to get an answer. 574-825-9679. If you find out the answer, can you please share it with us?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Spoke with Grand Design customer service - awesome by the way! The Grand Design person I spoke with provided the number for RND Distribution.

The person that I spoke with at RND Distribution was very helpful - he knew exactly who I needed to talk to - and he forwarded my information so that person can provide me with the proper file(s) to reflash my unit back to the Grand Design firmware.

Lesson learned - don’t update your PMX-1 firmware.

I was impressed that even though I am probably the only owner to do this - customer service understood what I did and connected me with the right people the first try!
      Last edited by openrangeowners; 06-01-2021, 07:14 PM.
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

It's awesome that you could get through the morning after a holiday weekend, and that they were able to assist you! Nice.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Final update - Kyle sent me a zip file that contained the correct Grand Design specific firmware to revert my PMX-1 back to the additional Grand Design functionality it had before I updated it with generic firmware.

I placed the files on a thumb drive, inserted it in the USB connection to the PMX-1, selected the USB source and watched the magic happen as my system was updated to the correct Grand Design firmware.

Took a couple of minutes to complete, then the head unit automatically restarted and all Grand Design-specific functionality was fully restored (ie: Grand Design Splash Screen, Grand Design specific EQ setting, Aux in back to TV in, can control the indoor and outdoor sources from the remote app and the head unit, etc.)

NOTE - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OVERWRITE YOUR FIRMWARE WITH GENERIC ROCKFORD FOSGATE FIRMWARE for the PMX-1 - it will change functionality and you will loose certain features. Good news is that it is easily recoverable with the proper Grand Design specific firmware.
          2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Sometimes I think that in our gung-ho, over achieving, must make it better mindset we forget that age old wisdom of:
            “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

I am doing my best to remember that one myself, without much success.
            Mark & Annette
            2021 2930rl
            1000w solar, 3k Multiplus ll 2x120, Cerbo GX, Touch 50, MorRyde rubberpinbox
            2020 Ram 3500 Dually, Max tow pkg

Comment

Yes / my fault - awesome customer service by Grand Design - they got me to the right person (supplier) right away.

The supplier company was awesome as well - very responsive and helpful!

if it ain’t broke don’t fix it … need to adhere to this more often myself!
              2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

openrangeowners do you mind sharing the files that you had received to restore PMX-1 functionality? Since getting the trailer, I was extremely disappointed with the sound quality of PMX-1, there was absolutely no bass coming from subwoofer and during my troubleshooting found the firmware files and upgraded.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything good to say about GD support so far. Emailed support a week ago explaining my issue and referencing this thread, got a reply "Can you please provide your vin # and more of back ground on what we may assist with?" gave them my vin and silence. Calling their support number says the office is closed and work hours are 8-5 M-F ET, well... it is 1PM ET now.

Comment

Originally posted by 2by4 View Post
                  openrangeowners do you mind sharing the files that you had received to restore PMX-1 functionality? Since getting the trailer, I was extremely disappointed with the sound quality of PMX-1, there was absolutely no bass coming from subwoofer and during my troubleshooting found the firmware files and upgraded.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything good to say about GD support so far. Emailed support a week ago explaining my issue and referencing this thread, got a reply "Can you please provide your vin # and more of back ground on what we may assist with?" gave them my vin and silence. Calling their support number says the office is closed and work hours are 8-5 M-F ET, well... it is 1PM ET now.
                  PM - sent ...
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Thank you very much openrangeowners I have replied to your PM.

Comment

2by4 - the subwoofer does not exist in many of the GD campers - there is a control for a subwoofer and RCA output lines, but one would have to add it separately. The system is a lot better than our previous camper's Jenson system and the speakers/enclosures are definitely a big upgrade from the past. As an OEM RV system it is pretty decent, adding a subwoofer would make a big difference.
                      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL

Comment

Thank you very much for the files, openrangeowners . Have fully functional system again.

As for system sound quality, the only reason I am leaving PMX-1 with built in sub because it is already installed. Subwoofer was not even correctly configured out of factory - all settings at sub were dialed down. Even at max volume sub was barely heard (verified that PMX-1 had BASS and SUB on MAX). I've adjusted the sub settings and it is better now, but the sound quality is still on par with 1960's single speaker Fiat car AM radio. For that reason I switched to SONOS Play 1's. Milestones ahead in audio quality.

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
                          Final update - Kyle sent me a zip file that contained the correct Grand Design specific firmware to revert my PMX-1 back to the additional Grand Design functionality it had before I updated it with generic firmware.

I placed the files on a thumb drive, inserted it in the USB connection to the PMX-1, selected the USB source and watched the magic happen as my system was updated to the correct Grand Design firmware.

Took a couple of minutes to complete, then the head unit automatically restarted and all Grand Design-specific functionality was fully restored (ie: Grand Design Splash Screen, Grand Design specific EQ setting, Aux in back to TV in, can control the indoor and outdoor sources from the remote app and the head unit, etc.)

NOTE - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OVERWRITE YOUR FIRMWARE WITH GENERIC ROCKFORD FOSGATE FIRMWARE for the PMX-1 - it will change functionality and you will loose certain features. Good news is that it is easily recoverable with the proper Grand Design specific firmware.
                          I'm also interested in receiving the zip file if possible. PM sent!

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post

openrangeowners USNavyHusker 2by4 or anyone else. Old post, but I would appreciate a copy of the firmware as well. Thanks.
                            Last edited by heritagesb; 04-25-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

openrangeowners USNavyHusker 2by4 or anyone else. Old post, but I would appreciate a copy of the firmware as well. I can see BT as an option for SRC but can no longer select it. It worked for the entire 1'st year I had my GD but now I cant even select it. I think my firmware got corrupted somehow in last big storm we had.

Comment

Working...
                              X