Convert OTR Microwave to Vent Outside - 2021 303 RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert OTR Microwave to Vent Outside - 2021 303 RLS

EDIT - I may have posted this in the wrong channel. If so apologies - mods please move if appropriate!

I recently completed the install of an outside vent for our Furrion OTR Microwave vent and thought I would share a couple of observations and pics in case someone else is considering the same. Overall, a straightforward project and very happy with the result. Start to finish – under 2 hours. And I was being deliberately cautious. Almost all the work was inside the RV – only about 15-20 minutes total outside on the ladder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FInished outside view copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.9 KB ID:	55848

NOTE: If anyone is considering this – make sure you find out (metal stud finder or from Grand Design) exactly what’s inside your wall before making cuts. GD had told me the wall was framed for the vent (they are now standard on the 303). I thought they meant there was nothing in the way, like a stud, backer plates, wiring etc. I certainly wasn’t expected a metal framed opening sized exactly for the OEM vent part (see photo). Glad I went with the OEM vent from GD and took extra care in locating the wall template before cutting. For reference, the inside dimensions between the metal frame members was exactly 4” x 11” (YMMV)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Frame.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	55846

Couple of notes:
    • In the 303 the mounting screws for the m/w are behind the top trim plate on the m/w. There were five LOOOOONG screws that are screwed through the metal m/w frame into the cupboard frame.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.6 KB ID:	55845
    • The Installation Manual was included with our original documentation from GD and contained the instructions to re-orient the blower fan to vent out the back, as well as the wall template. The cutout size on the template is generic – I had to adjust to the size of the vent. Note the factory cutout in the top of the cabinet - must be generic for use in other models - can't vent the m/w out the top in a 303 - it is in the slide.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Wall template.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	55844
    • For the vent, I used the OEM vent available from GD parts site (screen shot attached).
    • In addition to the vent itself, for the Furrion m/w you also need the small metal “exhaust adaptor”. It is a galvanized extension with a damper/flap (about 4” x 12”) that attaches to the back of the m/w. GD Customer Service sent it to me and I totally forgot to take a pic. before installing (apologies). This is an important piece as the extension flange fits inside the plastic vent duct and directs the airflow into the vent - although I wouldn't exactly call it "hermetically sealed". The bag was labelled as p/n #720442 (don’t know if that is GD or Furrion #).
    • I used a Dremel multi-tool (oscillating) to make the cuts and I worked from inside out. I had seen how others drilled the four corners then cut from outside in. Either works… I liked the inside out method because it saved the point of no return (cutting through the fibreglass) until the end.
    • Because of the metal framing, accuracy is important. Measure carefully and test fit. Think cabinetry tolerances here.
    • I used #8 x 1” s/s pan head screws to attach the outside vent as well as LePage Quad Window, Door and Siding sealant (clear). As a bonus, the screws ended up going into the metal framing – this thing ain’t coming off unless I want it to!
    • In hindsight, this turned out to be way more straightforward because I used the OEM part the wall is framed for. If going after-market, be cognizant of the dimensions – in my case the opening was framed exactly for the OEM part and it matched exactly with the Furrion exhaust adaptor.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.11.30 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	626.2 KB ID:	55847
    Last edited by howson; 05-30-2021, 12:50 PM. Reason: Added to mod list! -Howard
    Ken & Sandra
    2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Very useful post for some folks! My older 303 has the vent and I wouldn’t want to give it up.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      Very useful post for some folks! My older 303 has the vent and I wouldn’t want to give it up.
      Thanks! Yeah - I actually was surprised it wasn't. They did switch (back) to the outside vent just after mine came off the line (like, I missed it by two weeks)...
      Ken & Sandra

Comment

It's very interesting that the hole was already framed in. I just pulled the drawing and see that this framing has been there since 2014 when the 303 first model was released. In fact, there has only been one minor update to the drawing in 2020, and it had nothing to do with the vent hole.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Ken, I can't find the vent cover on Grand Designs site. How do you open the vent from the outside...step ladder? Does it have the usual tabs that you turn for the flapper to swing open?
          Dick and Jodi
          2020 Silverado Duramax
          2017 Reflection 27RL

Comment

KSC_Travels -- new member appears to have directed a question to you (see post 5).

rpkramer , please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members if you'd like to learn more about this forum and how to get the most from your time here. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hmmmm. Nice little write up. I have the same year and model trailer and it has the vent factory installed. Wonder why a few were not done? Was it just missed somehow?
              Did you have to pay for the kit?
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by rpkramer View Post
                Ken, I can't find the vent cover on Grand Designs site. How do you open the vent from the outside...step ladder? Does it have the usual tabs that you turn for the flapper to swing open?
                howson Thanks Howard. Been travelling!

rpkramer Yeah - the part was in kind of a weird spot on the parts lookup (access Parts Lookup link from menu bar on this forum).
                I found it in 2021 REFLECTION>303 RLS> EXTERIOR>ATTACHMENTS>Vent Range Hood...

Yes - I use a ladder to reach it for opening/closing. No twist tabs - more of a plastic "nub" (I guess) with a friction fit that snaps into place to hold it closed.

Ken & Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Hmmmm. Nice little write up. I have the same year and model trailer and it has the vent factory installed. Wonder why a few were not done? Was it just missed somehow?
                  Did you have to pay for the kit?
                  Hi Scott... thanks! Yes - that was my first thought too - that they "forgot". For example, when we were buying, the dealer had a 303 in the showroom that had the outside vent (we bought a different one on the lot - both 2021's and both with a build date of 08/2020). I didn't realize until we took delivery that the one we bought was not vented outside. Never even occurred to me to look after checking the showroom model!. But, after reaching out to GD it turns out we actually missed out on the vent by a couple of weeks. According to GD, it was a mid-year spec change that was tied into the removal of the OTR Convection m/w to be replaced with a non-convection m/w (ours is non-convection). They had begun framing the wall for the vent (or it always was as Jim notes in post #4), but they did not start routing the opening until later. Seems a bit odd to me, but that was the story.

End of day, GD was great - they confirmed my wall was framed for the vent and they sent me the two parts no charge (after I asked). Probably less than $50 - but still, it was great that they did that - they really didn't have to.

Ken & Sandra

Comment

Working...
                  X