MOD: Replace TV, add 3.1 Soundbar with homemade mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Replace TV, add 3.1 Soundbar with homemade mounts

While the original "smart" TCL TV had a great picture, we found it had an annoying operating parameter. We don't stream anything, at home or on the road. That makes the "smart" functions of this TV useless to us. What we do is occasionally want to scan both the park cable, and the OTA stations via the roof antenna. Some places we stay the cable displays non-local network stations. We can usually get at least one local network via the antenna, and toggle back and forth between cable and antenna. But the TCL requires a re-scan every time you toggle. I found at CW a newer version of the Summit TV we had in our previous trailer. This TV operates as we like. It did require a mount adapter as the VESA pattern differed from that of the TCL. At the same time I mounted a Yamaha YAS-209 3.1 channel soundbar, with wireless sub (tons of bass available; had to turn it down a little). After looking around on the internet for a soundbar bracket to hang the soundbar from the back of the TV, I found they looked a little over complicated and was not convinced they were sturdy enough to withstand going down the road. Instead, I got a metal shelving bracket, 48", from the hardware store, and cut it in half, also a 3" X 36" flat aluminum sheet panel. This was painted black. I drilled holes as needed to mount the plate to the brackets, and the soundbar to the plate. I think it came out pretty clean, and is really solid. Another neat item is that I tied all of my HDMI output cables to a 4X4 matrix unit, which was about $90 on Amazon. Cables coming from our Dish receiver and DVD player (also something we added) get plugged into the matrix (essentially a switcher box for HDMI cables). From the matrix, one HDMI cable is run to each TV. Thus, you can have any HDMI signal at any TV, and different TVs watching different sources at the same time. Our floorplan allowed that I could route an HDMI cable from the matrix and into the basement for the exterior TV we added. The bedroom is served by a wireless HDMI repeater (transmitter in main entertainment cabinet and receiver at the bedroom TV. Click image for larger version  Name:	tv and soundbar mounted.jpg Views:	16 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	55925Click image for larger version  Name:	tv from kitchen.jpg Views:	11 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	55926Click image for larger version  Name:	sub behind fireplace.jpg Views:	10 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	55927Click image for larger version  Name:	tv soundbar install 1.jpg Views:	10 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	55928
    Last edited by howson; 05-31-2021, 06:28 AM. Reason: Added to modification list. -HW
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Looks great! Now somebody's spending my money again.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Considering doing the same but worried about weight! Any idea how much the mount can support? 2022 Solitude 390RK.

Comment

Nate Allen , not sure which mount you are asking about. If it is the stock mount the tv hangs from, I haven't had any issues. It is somewhat of a V shaped affair; just lift straight up on TV to disengage. There is fairly substantial wood from GD that it is bolted to. Towed 5500 mile round trip from CA to MN last year, all is well. The brackets I made, along with the VESA adapter plate I needed, and the flat stock for the sound bar, all weigh together maybe two pounds--just a guess. Because the shelf brackets are essentially C channel, they are inherently strong. The bar itself I think weighs about 3.5, although this can be looked up in whatever component manual you are considering. BTW, I am very happy with this Yamaha system. It has lots of adjustment available, and can produce excessive bass if you want it to, which is kind of like having too much horsepower in your truck! There are also wireless rear speakers available for a 5.1 upgrade. It also has BT, and is Alexa ready.

Dave
        2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584

Comment

Nice job! Bet that system sounds amazing.

Jim

Comment

thanks DD, I'm considering a larger TV about 54 lbs and am concerned. Yes btw I have the same mount you describe i.e. V shaped. I may scale down the TV to one about 35-40 lbs just to be safe. thanks again.

Comment

Nate Allen a couple of things. That must be a huge TV. I looked up my 50 inch, and it weighs 21 pounds without stand. However, the provided by GD mount is pretty stout. Did you know that you can look up GD parts yourself, right from this forum? At the top of this page there are red colored tabs--second from right is the parts lookup. This will take you to an external site where you plug in your rv info, and category of item you are looking for (some categories make sense; you may have to make a couple of attempts at "category" to find what you are looking for}. In this case, I found part #690757 under appliances and electronics. You can see the engineering drawing from the vendor GD uses. It lists the bracket as 12 gauge metal, but does not list a weight capacity. The TV side is the part number just below.

The other thing is that we suffered a break-in to our unit, while it was at a dealer waiting an extended period of time for two HVAC thernostats. Thieves hard tried to take the TV, apparently by pulling straight out on it, among other ideas. It was rotated about 30 degrees from horizontal, but still on the mount. They had applied enough force as to open up one of the bracket retaining slots on the above part. TV was still on the wall, and made the 35 mile trip home. Upon removal by us, I saw the damage to the bracket, removed it from the wall, and fixed with a hammer and vise. TV and sound bar were replaced by insurance due to cracked cabinets. I transferred all of the mounting parts to the new electronics, and rehung. I'm the only one to notice, but the top left corner of TV is about 1/64 inch lower than the right. When this gets too annoying, I step outside and look at how unlevel my neighbor's rig is and then I feel better.

After seeing all this, I wouldn't be afraid of that mount, even for the weight you are quoting. Since you are going to replace it anyway, I wonder if you could use a cable or similar to attach a heavy ballast to what you already have that you might try a road test near your target weight? Say draping the cable over the mount and down so that the weight is being held by the mounting bracket. Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
              X