Washer-Dryer Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer-Dryer Install

Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude_WD15.jpg Views:	41 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	56258Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude_WD19.jpg Views:	40 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	56259Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude_WD16.jpg Views:	78 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	56255Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude_WD17.jpg Views:	40 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	56256Click image for larger version  Name:	Solitude_WD18.jpg Views:	40 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	56257

Hello Friends,

Attached are pics of our WD install. I used the Miele washer and 120V heat pump dryer. These are excellent units and there is no need for a dryer vent. The water drain from the heat pump dryer is taped to the washer drain and I used 10 mil tape to create an arc and secure both to the Grand Design drain. There are two 90 degree brass fittings (with plumbers tape) on the hot and cold water to connect the washer hoses. Because Grand Design did not include a WD door with ventilation, I installed a small fan and switch in the top left of the cabinet.

The Miele stack is tall, so I extended the base 4 1/2 inches and added a 1x6 maple frame for the door. Because the washer soap container is on the left, I reversed the door and added a satin nickel doorstop on the lower cabinet. The washer base feet are held by four metal clips and there is wood trim holding the top down. There are lag bolts on the top and lower sides of the 5 1/2 inch door frame. There is veneer on the inside of the door frame and all wood has the Jacobean stain and polyurethane varnish.

The BR slide closes with 5/8 inch from the bed plywood base to the door. All tolerances are quite narrow. The soap container just barely extends, but it is fine now that I reversed the door.

We have run four loads through the WD and both work fine.
    Last edited by howson; 06-06-2021, 11:20 AM.
    2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solitude_Shelf3.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	56261Click image for larger version

Name:	Solitude_Shelf4.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	56262

Hello Again,

With the 350# of WD in the front, I wanted to keep the pin weight at 18% to 19%, so decided to add weight to the rear of the coach (as an old lightplane pilot, I am familiar with adjusting weight and balance). I planned this before we bought, and realized you could install maple wood shelves in the upper cabinets. I also built two plywood boxes under the couch and in the back under the back couch panel. The estimated weights are 300# in the upper cabinet, 180# under the couch and 170# in the back box. I weighed the rig on Saturday and had a good reserve for the axles and tires on the RV and truck. The rear axle is within limits, but the Firestone air bags support much of the pin weight, so the suspension weight is far below the rating.

The upper box is quite strong. I used two 4x8 3/4 inch maple plywood sheets and many lineal feet of maple boards. There are two sections for the base, back and top shelf, with a 1x2 front board. There are two side plywood boards and four divider boards. All are held in place by 1" x 3/4" trim boards with many screws. There are about 60 screws holding the sides and back in place. I think this could hold and support two or three times the current weight. I do keep some tools and electrical cords in the maple boxes.

All of the maple has a Jacobean stain and a polyurethane varnish. There were many cuts on a table saw to match the inside of the cabinet -- 45 degrees on all corners.

Comment

Excellent work! We had washer/dryer separates in our two previous Grand Design 5th wheels but the washer/dryer closet in the Solitude 310GK is so poorly designed that I threw in the towel and installed a non-vented all in one unit. It actually works much better than I expected but the dryer gets the clothes REALLY hot. Too hot for my wife's liking so she hangs our clothes to dry. Your solution is so much better! I won't buy another RV unless the manufacturer has designed a washer/dryer closet that will actually fit a washer, dryer and proper venting with no modifications to any part of the closet or surrounding area.

Thanks for sharing your work!
      Last edited by bertschb; 06-03-2021, 01:47 PM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thanks, Brian. Yes, we hope that Grand Design is listening and will move the wall forward. They could expand the base by two to four inches and make this process easier.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post
          Thanks, Brian. Yes, we hope that Grand Design is listening and will move the wall forward. They could expand the base by two to four inches and make this process easier.

Charles
          ...and they could make the closet wider so you can open the soap drawer without hitting the door trim.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

@Crespo - nice work and documentation. This thread will be added to the next version of the Modification List.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Where is washer drain in the closet of reflection 5 wheel ?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                Where is washer drain in the closet of reflection 5 wheel ?
                It should be located either right at the water connections or directly under it. You may find it by looking in the pass thru storage on the ceiling in the same location as the water supply lines.

Letting us know what model would be helpful as well. Someone with the same model will be more than happy to explain where they found theirs.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X