Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge sweat

Hi All
    On our maiden voyage with the 303 went well. Nothing significant happened other than learning the quirks of a new trailer after you spent 15 years in the last one.
    But the weather was such that our fridge cooling fins sweated quite a bit. This was noticed when a puddle showed on the floor in front of the fridge. Sure enough the drip pan wasn't properly connected to the drain hose. Connected the hose to the nipple and all good. But this led me to check the other end of the hose. On my old trailer the drain hose exited the lower vent panel to outside. On this trailer is goes to a little drip pan by the burner at the bottom. How is this supposed to work? The pan can hold about 500ml and then it just overlows...inside the trailer. What am I missing here? This seems to be a questionable design/plan to deal with cooling fin condensation.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Scott'n'Wendy Perhaps you could put a screened extension on the drain hose to reach outside the unit? Must have been quite humid to cause the sweating of the fins to an extent that it flowed out of the fridge. Luckily we have never had this much condensation, what we get at times is a little ice droplet formation on the fins that may require a brief defrost of the fridge after a couple of weeks. Must be quite a bit drier for us out west.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Hi Scott,

Is this a "residential" (120V or 12V only) fridge or a 120V/propane fridge? In either case, I would think that rerouting the condensate drain hose outside the RV (like the "old" days) would be a good idea. Even if evaporation from the pan can keep up with condensation (which will be very weather dependant), towing the RV will slosh the pan contents out on to the floor.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It's a 120/propane fridge. I generally only have this kind of condensation issue on the May long weekend. It can go from 28*c during the day to -1 or -2* at night.
        I think I will re-route the tube outside. Or at least be prepared to.
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

So . . . who came up with the idea that an RV fridge should not drain the condensation outside the trailer ??
          Seems like an easy fix to go back to the "old way".

BTW . . . the condensate drain should not be straight down . . . it should have a "P" trap routing to prevent cold air from the fridge from exiting through this line. This would be true for draining into a pan or to the outside.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Interesting..... We will be having a heat wave and high humidity this WE and I have tested the Dometic this week. Will check the line with a digital thermometer. Currently does not have a bend acting as a p trap.
            Pierre & Tara
            2021 Imagine 2600RB
            2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
            1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              So . . . who came up with the idea that an RV fridge should not drain the condensation outside the trailer ??
              Seems like an easy fix to go back to the "old way".

BTW . . . the condensate drain should not be straight down . . . it should have a "P" trap routing to prevent cold air from the fridge from exiting through this line. This would be true for draining into a pan or to the outside.

Rob
              You are 100% correct. I wonder if the drain pan is supposed to provide the same effect. If there is about 10mm of water in the pan the tube would be submerged. IF there is water in the pan.
              I will have to get a mirror for a closer look at the drain tube routing.

Comment

I’ll have to look at our fridge tomorrow. We have the Norcold. I don’t remember seeing a p trap in the drain hose and can’t remember how far it goes into the pan. We have storm chances in the forecast for the next week after tomorrow. Will track how that effects the water level in the pan.
                Without this forum I would probably not have given it a second thought!
                2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                Formerly M&K337

Comment

Originally posted by M&K337 View Post
                  Without this forum I would probably not have given it a second thought!
                  That happens a lot around here LOL .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy , can't help with the drain question, but I do want to ask if you checked your door seals (should firmly grip a piece of paper or dollar bill when door or door is closed). If the fridge has a double door, make sure the baffle swings all the way over when the door is closed. Correcting these two items really cut down on the condensation inside our Norcold.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

JBill9694 , I did not do the dollar bill test. I only have loonies..lol
                      I was keeping an eye on that flap and it appeared to close properly every time.That said I'll go test with a 5'er this afternoon just to confirm. Thanks.

Comment

Yes I too saw that tiny drip pan and thought what a stupid idea that was. Haven't done anything about it yet but I'm going to. I think the drain to the outside is the proper way to go.
                        ​​​​​​
                        ​​​​​
                        Charles and Susan
                        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                        Andersen Hitch
                        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Sometimes you'll get a cascade of failures...

If the door flap doesn't shut all the way then you'll get excess condensation in the refrigerator. I fixed the door flap issue by putting another washer onto the lower left door hinge.

If the tray under the fridge fins pulls away from the rear fridge wall the water will drain into the bottom of the fridge and then out the front. I fixed the tray issue by putting 3M Sticky Gel Tape on the back wall, making sure the drain tube was fastened, and then pushing the tray against the sticky tape.

And finally if you get too much water into the condensate tray and then that goes into the drip pan on the back side of the fridge then the tray overflows and gets water all over back there. That's fixable by just routing the house out the vent cover (like in the old days).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5403.JPG
Views:	864
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	56571
                          Pat and Karen
                          2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

I hope it is OK to still post to this year old thread but it deals exactly with an issue I had on my 310 GK. I have a Norcold 120v/propane side by side and found the drip tray under the cooling fins filled and overflowing. I traced out the hose and, as stated above, it drains into a pan by the propane burner. Is the thought that the heat from the unit will evaporate this drain water? The end of the hose has a small plastic insert which appeared to be plugged with lime or calcium deposits? I removed this plug, for the time being, but I wonder what its purpose is (could this be to limit the airflow out of the fridge? see pic).

​​
                            The other question that this thread brought up was door seals. I believed the larger amount of condensation on the fins was due to the very hot and humid weather down here (Florida, Georgia and, this week, Tennessee). But now I wonder about the "baffle" between the two refrigerator doors. Should the baffle go to the 90 degree position with the door fully closed? Mine does not. See pic. If it should go to the perpendicular position...how would I make it do so?
                            2017 Solitude GK310
                            2017 Ram 3500

Comment

I had to replace the drain hose in mine because the tray was overflowing. The original tube was pinched, preventing condensate from running out. I think the plastic piece in the end is a bug deterrent.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X