2021 2670MK: Hot Water Heater Not Heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 2670MK: Hot Water Heater Not Heating

Hello, The family and I are on our way to Washington from Texas and are about 4 days into our trip and our hot water heater isn't working anymore. This is actually only our second trip since buying this rig so I think this may a bit early for it to die on me. It has worked flawlessly prior to today.

Things I've done to troubleshoot:
    -ensured I've had water in the hot water tank prior to heating
    -tried electric, gas, and both at the same time to heat the water
    - shut off the water supply, drained the water, refilled the system again
    - Checked the fuse

I have no indications (fault lights- where they would be I have no idea) the hot water heater is not working except the water is not getting hot. I've gone out to the heater and it is cold so the gas isn't igniting and the electric heater isn;t heating. Any ideas?

The heater is a Dometic WH-6GEA

Thanks-

Steve
    Last edited by S&J; 06-05-2021, 09:33 AM.
    Steve & Jen + Lucy, Frank, and Kevin

2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel

UPDATE: I pulled the thermal cutoff fuse and performed a continuity test with a multi-meter. It show's it is open (which means it is bad). Before I pop the bubbly to celebrate, can someone with more knowledge than me, review this for accuracy? If the fuse is good, the continuity test should beep and show all zeros right?

2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

I have a 2021 2670mk also. I had the same problem. If electricity comes through the thermal switch, then it is working. I removed thermal switch and tested it with multi meter and no current was measured. I replaced it with new one and like magic, the hot water heater worked again. I was able to buy a 2 pack of thermal switches for about $36.00.

Comment

I think you've nailed it! But you're not allowed to pop the bubbly until you've changed it and it's working! It's an unwritten forum rule....
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Dougstar View Post
          I have a 2021 2670mk also. I had the same problem. If electricity comes through the thermal switch, then it is working. I removed thermal switch and tested it with multi meter and no current was measured. I replaced it with new one and like magic, the hot water heater worked again. I was able to buy a 2 pack of thermal switches for about $36.00.
          Thanks Doug! I've bypassed the coupler just to see if the water gets hot (those fuses are there for a reason). I'll see about ordering a replacement if this fixes it. Thanks for checking my math!

Steve

2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            I think you've nailed it! But you're not allowed to pop the bubbly until you've changed it and it's working! It's an unwritten forum rule....
            Ha! Thanks Jim. There's a lot of great info here on this site and I appreciate everyone who's posted their issues and solutions.

Steve

2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Originally posted by S&J View Post

Thanks Doug! I've bypassed the coupler just to see if the water gets hot (those fuses are there for a reason). I'll see about ordering a replacement if this fixes it. Thanks for checking my math!

Steve
              I haven't paid enough attention to the water heater and didn't notice/forgot they have a thermal fuse and ECO like the RV fridges, just different temperature ratings..

Spare Parts Dometic WH-6GEA https://documents.dometic.com/media/download/81928

Thermal fuse in the clear sleeve Dometic/Atwood PN 93866 KIT, SVC THERMAL CUT-OFF
              ECO High Temperature Shut-Off 91447 KIT, SVC DSI/TSTAT&ECO

Looks like ebay and Amazon sells the kits as well as the online RV Parts stores.
              Time for me to get a couple spares.
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Working...
              X