TireLinc - Several month review of the product that's a disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TireLinc - Several month review of the product that's a disaster

I decided to wait before posting this for a few months. We purchased the TireLinc system and had the issue where it wasn't even wired it. That was the beginning of the issues we've had. I've contacted LCI and opened a ticket. It's pretty much been ignored for the last few months. At this point I've had it with this system. We loaded up and hit the road today only to be slapped in the face by the newest Compass Connect "features".

Let's talk about TireLinc as a TPMS from Lippert. First, it's pre-wired to accept the repeater and sensors -- except when it's not. See this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...nc-prep-wiring. Yes I had this problem at delivery.

Then I've had lots of issues keeping the sensor connected to my phone. It never wants to stay connected. Constantly reconnecting with my phone from the app. I opened a trouble ticket with Lippert. I provided diagnostics information, photographs of the repeater, snapshots of my 2020 Ford F150 with Sync 3, updated my new Android phone, measured the SNR between the phone and the repeater where it was mounted. I even reset the entire system and uninstalled all of the components. I've been in tech for 30+ years, and currently work for one of the companies that makes a product mentioned a few sentences ago. I know EE. I know software. I thought we were on track to fix this new piece of tech. It seems so cool.

Radio silence on the ticket. It went on for more than a week, so it probably was hurting someone's stats. I updated the Compass Connect software, and forgot about it. Today we hit the road for a new trip. TireLinc didn't work. I couldn't get it to connect. Over the last few weeks, my Android phone would pop up a message telling me that Compass Connect was unresponsive. It was crashing. What I was surprised about was why it was even running. I didn't start it, and I had to reboot my phone to stop it from running. I've had to force stop the app repeatedly.

The repeater, and the Compass Connect app would not connect, after repeated attempts to connect with it today. I rebooted the phone, and re-paired with CC (CC cause I can't stand typing this so much). I finally got it to connect. It only took 25 minutes out of our trip! Then I hit the road with my family. We made it to the first intersection, and the screen locked with a logo I've never seen before. At the bottom it says, "Locked for your safety". At the next intersection, the app re-appeared (we'll get to that later). Pulling onto the highway, the tire pressures once again disappeared to be replaced with "Locked for your safety".

By now, if you're still reading this, you should seriously think twice about owning this product. Unless major changes are made to the software, this product should be avoided. I've sent emails, I've waited for software updates, I've played the "it's your phone game" with LCI.

Here's a screenshot of the app when it's running. When you think about the purpose of the app (to display tire pressures, and think about the target audience (someone who can afford at Tow Vehicle, and a trailer), and think about this user interface, I'm left dumbfounded. 1/3 of the vertical screen space is to tell you the name of the app (as if you didn't know). One third of the horizontal screen space shows you a trailer (once again as if you didn't know what this app does). Then you have four (or six) boxes to represent the wheels on the trailer, with the smallest possible font you can display to show the pressure (don't forget psi or kpa!) and the temperature (F or C if you forgot which country you live in!). All on a 3x9 inch display you likely have mounted on your dashboard about 3 feet away from your face... I'm assuming we don't have the eyesight of a 15 year old anymore, hence we can afford this product (your target market). Could the design get any worse?

Well today, the latest update, if you can get it to connect, either uses the accelerometer or the GPS to determine you're in motion to "LOCK THE SCREEN FOR YOUR SAFETY". What is the purpose of a TPMS, if it isn't for safety? If I can't even see the tires starting to overheat when I'm driving, why even bother buying this product?

Grand Design and Lippert, you both need to wake up and fix this disaster that is TireLinc. Make the app stand alone. Make it stop crashing on Android. Make the app show the tire pressures and temperatures in a readable font. Don't lock the screen with a stupid logo "for your safety". Right now I'm totally disappointed with this product, and want to warn everyone even thinking of buying it as a add one to run away. LCI has had this feedback for months. They've done nothing but make it worse.

I welcome anyone who's had a better experience in the last few weeks to let me know what I am missing here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Country Campers; 06-15-2021, 05:50 AM. Reason: Removed profanity abbreviation
    Andy & Sherry
    2021 2500RL w/ Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
    2020 Ford Raptor w/ custom Deaver springs

Andy,

I do not have this system but having worked with software and calibration I feel your pain in how some systems are programmed. From your symptoms I'm wondering if you have a bad repeater.

Jim

Comment

AndyBaum

Great post and feedback. We will see if we can get some answers for you.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The system was installed on our trailer when it was built last July, we didnt realize it would be part of the trailer so we essentially paid $0 for it. After using it for a while I would say its worth about what we paid for it. The remote alarms regularly for apparently no reason (little to no information on what meaning some of the alarms have) and the app on my phone is poorly planned.
        Technology is great if/when it works as stated, unfortunately this setup seems poorly executed.

I feel your pain
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Ours was included I our new trailer so we spent $0 on it too. We have not had any issues with connectivity so I cannot comment on that but I 100% agree with your comments on the screen layout. It is ridiculous. I also echo your sentiments related to the remote alarm. The darned thing would just decide to beep at all hours (even while parked for a week at a campground). It would beep seemingly at random at all hours of the day as night with no way to turn it off. I eventually threw it away. I do use the monitoring system while driving but having to switch screens fro navigation to that regularly is distracting. Also, since we no longer wanted to deal with the “alarm that cried wolf at all hours” thingy that is laying in some trash heap somewhere beeping it’s little heart out…the only way to know if there is an issue is to watch for one. Another drawback is that you cannot add a sensor for the spare. There are other systems that allow that so we will probably upgrade soon to a different system but not sure which right now.

In all, I would agree that to purchase such a system would be nuts. For free, well it got us on the road and gives us some time to do some research. And I know, nothing is for free, we paid for it in the price of our trailer! At least we didn’t waste more money purchasing it separately.

Tiki Al
          Alan and Julie Hartford
          2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
          2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

At this point I would have to agree with you Andy. I believe I have got it to work a little better than your example, but not by much. Mine does not lock out on movement - maybe because I haven't updated in the last month? I can usually connect, not always, and it gives me the tire pressures, but only if I add tire linc as a new device before every trip. But, when driving it does not update the pressures or temperatures unless you manually refresh it....which you shouldn't be doing while driving!
            I don't mind the tire pressure display screen, simple and uncluttered I figure.
            And yes, the remote goes off for unspecified reasons from time to time.
            Would I recommend it? No. Hopefully it improves because I've got it. It has the potential to be very good. Yet to realize that potential.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

The full Tire Linc system came with our 337rls. The repeater is pre installed. The tire sensors sit in their unopened box.

I already had the TST 507. I have 6 sensors (4 trailer, 1 trailer spare, 1 truck spare). I mounter the repeater in the drivers side propane compartment wired to the trailers running lights so it's automatically on when I'm driving. The monitor is mounted up on my dash right next to my rear monitor display. This has worked for my second camping season now. Changed out the sensor batteries this spring. No erroneous beeps but if something happens it sounds the alarm loud enough to hear above my loud music. Worked so well last year didn't even consider the free Tire Linc.

Anyone want to buy a brand new Tire Linc - LOL
              Charles and Susan
              2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
              Andersen Hitch
              2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

The LCI Tire Linc came with our new Reflection 311BHS, and I just used the product for the first time yesterday. I didn't have any connectivity issues, but the font size on my iPhone almost requires binoculars to read it while driving. Ironically, overnight I received an email from LCI promoting their towing products in the name of "towing safely." When you need to squint your eyes to read the screen while driving, defines a company only interested in selling products. It's clearly not about safety. LCI needs an immediate upgrade to increase the font size to safely read the tire data while driving.

2021 GD Reflection 311BHS 5th wheel
                2020 F350 Platinum diesel

Comment

I agree with font size being a problem. Random beeps out of the fob dumb monitor, and updates when ever it feels like it.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I received a phone call two days after this posting from a Grand Design employee. First off, outstanding customer service from Grand Design. He spent the time to listen to my issues, took additional notes, and said he'd start working on the issue. I mentioned that I'd grab screenshots of the other issues I was having. Here is a screenshot of the "Locked for your safety" when in motion. Additionally I mentioned that Compass Connect crashes on a regular basis. This screenshot is within 10 minutes of starting up the phone (reboot) and not starting CC manually (so it is an auto start application).
                    Attached Files
                    Andy & Sherry

Comment

I too get regular app crashes when I'm not using it. Need to force stop it from running in the background.
                      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

We got the same system with our 2021 303rls, I downloaded the One Control app and have had no issues, I have been on 4 trips now and no app crash and I can read it on my phone while traveling.
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Hi Dennis. I appreciate your response. I'm on version 3.13 of the app, and Android 11, April 1st security update and May 1st Google Play system update. I didn't have app crashes about two months ago. What versions are you running currently?
                          Andy & Sherry

Comment

Mine came pre wired and I actually purchased the repeater and 6 sensors. I'm pretty disappointed. Ideally the app should run and alert even when it's not running in the foreground, right? If my phone goes dark after 45 seconds or a minute, the app no longer alerts. Not very intuitive.
                            2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab DRW
                            2021 Momentum 397TH

Comment

TE=Dennis66;n58077]We got the same system with our 2021 303rls, I downloaded the One Control app and have had no issues, I have been on 4 trips now and no app crash and I can read it on my phone while traveling.[/QUOTE]

May I ask what phone you are using?

AndyBaum Interesting, I'm on 3.13 as well. No safety lock out when in motion. Samsung A5 2017 Android Ver 8
                              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 06-21-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X