No announcement yet.

TireLinc - Several month review of the product that's a disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with everything Andy has said and I pretty much have all the same problems. I have random crashes of the app. You can't view the app if you are in motion over about 5mph as it will "lock for your safety". And when you do come to a stop and try to look at the app it has to reconnect which tells me it was not "talking to" repeater the whole time I was driving. And it takes so long for the app to reconnect once you are stopped that the light is usually green and I am back in motion before it can reconnect and update the TPMS info.

I have tried using both the Grand Design app and the one straight from Lippert, but both have the same issue.

I got the Lippert TPMS system specifically because I could display the tire info on my F-150 sync 4 screen while driving and that would save me from having to have yet another device sitting up on my dash. I was hoping that it was actually updating the TPMS and just not letting me see it because the app was locked out while driving. But I did a test where it was all connected and working in my driveway, drove for 45 minutes and never saw the tire pressure or temp change on my F-150's screen. I got home and once I was completely stopped then the app reconnected and said "last data received 45 min ago". So yeah....no info exchanged between the repeater and my phone.

If it not updating in real time then it is pretty much a useless system and I can not recommend anybody purchase it. I am having serious buyers regrets and I hope Grand Design and Lippert see these posts.

Bill M.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

The app is 3.13 phone is Android 11
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

The TireLinc system came factory on our unit as well. Aside from being hard to read (font size, etc.) I have had no issues with the app itself - no lockouts, lockups, etc. When travelling I leave the phone unlocked and on that screen so I can glance quickly and see any "red" indicators, so I am not sure if I would get notifications with the app in the background. Overall I am happy with it - definitely could be better - but saves me from having yet another screen in the truck.

It does NOT work with Apple CarPlay (on FORD SYNC 3 anyways) - at least I haven't been able to make it work.

Running iPhone Xr | iOS 14.6 | GDRV Compass Connect App V 3.13

I did have an issue with a (faulty) leaking sensor. Thought it was a slow leak in the tire - glad it wasn't! GD Customer Service sent me a replacement sensor and all good now.

FYI - The sensor was leaking at the seam where the two parts screw together... removed the sensor, took it apart, retightened, replaced O-ring seal but it didn't stop leaking. Looks like maybe a small machining fault between the two halves or perhaps the threads. Soooooo... if you find the system indicating a slow leak, do check the sensor 1st (I just used diluted dish soap) before pulling the wheel!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaking TPMS Sensor.jpg
Views:	1305
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	58275
        The telltale bubbles on the sensor.
        Ken & Sandra
        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Wonder if it just plays nicer with Apple, and buggy with the Android?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

We just got back from a short 100 mile trip. Amazingly the passenger side sensors showed those two tires at exactly the same pressure and temp that they were before I topped them off and we drove both ways. They even showed that they were still sending signals and the battery voltage was 3.1v The remote alarmed once again with the red light and 10 beeps but nothing was wrong. I have had the sensors active for about 6 months. Assuming its batteries only lasted 6 months and the hassles of changing batteries coupled with the random alarms, I think the stuff is going to go back in the box and I will just take my chances. Too glitchy a product for my tolerance.

After pulling the sensors from the trailer I have found the issue. Both sensors on the right side are roached from water intrusion. If you look close you can see the corrosion is not only on the battery but also on the little PC board under it. Neither had been opened since I installed the sensors and neither showed evidence of a torn or bunched up O-ring. These were on our trailer for less than 6 months with at least half of that time sitting inside our pole barn. The system has been removed completely from our trailer, we have too many trust issues now and theres no way I am putting more money into this hot mess.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by familytruckster4; 07-14-2021, 07:50 AM.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Been using the system for travel. Random beep from the fob thingy, takes minutes to reconnect to the system. Not able to use with Android auto.

Compass connect version V3.13 build 418623 (it appears).
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi all anyone get anywhere I have found app only locks in motion when linked to Ford if I disconnect from truck it works fine. Anyone here in resolution with this my Ford dealer is looking into it??

Comment

I got somewhere, I put the entire hot mess back in a box and intend to hand it to someone from Lippert while we are at the rally.

Comment

Originally posted by Ees730 View Post
                    Hi all anyone get anywhere I have found app only locks in motion when linked to Ford if I disconnect from truck it works fine. Anyone here in resolution with this my Ford dealer is looking into it??
                    I have an open ticket (#2655362) with Lippert. After a lengthy back and forth email exchange with them asking me various questions and sending them screen shots, I was advised they are forwarding the issue to their App Team. That was on July 9th and I have not heard back from them yet.

If I get any news, good or bad, I plan to share it on these forums.

Bill M.
                    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

BillM321 Bill, if you get any instructions as to why the fob randomly beeps (single chirp) or just goes off like crazy, please advise. Also if there are any updates to help with frequency of updating data on the sensors in the app. I know sometimes it would be an hour or more before it would update.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I admire the optimism that Lippert will somehow be able to get this system to be reliable

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                          I admire the optimism that Lippert will somehow be able to get this system to be reliable
                          Well all the pieces are there for a decent working system. You just need better app development. If the next update doesn't improve it, I'll likely remove Tire-Link and replace it with a proven reliable system.

Comment

Take a look at the sensor pictures I posted, it goes deeper than a software/app issue, even the hard parts are inadequate.

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                              Take a look at the sensor pictures I posted, it goes deeper than a software/app issue, even the hard parts are inadequate.
                              Oh.....

Comment

Tire Linc came installed on my coach. It works as advertised. The alert lives in the glove box of the tow vehicle. I do not fiddle with my phone while driving. My mate takes care of such things.

Nothing that is wifi based is trouble free. The trailer cameras are wifi based and are not trouble free. The wifi hot spot in the trailer is not trouble free. Sadly even hardwired things are not trouble free.

Tires get hot in the desert, sometimes I am afraid to ask how hot. Have not had an alarm yet for this but glad I know what's happening inside the little devils under the trailer.
                                Vic and Barb
                                2021 315RLTS

Comment

Working...
                                X