Furion 12V Refrigerator Not Running on Shore Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furion 12V Refrigerator Not Running on Shore Power

2021 GD Transcend Xplor 240ML (3 weeks old). Recent weekend trip the refrigerator stopped working. Lights are on but unit not cooling. You can hear the compressor (or unit) trying to click on for a second of two and then off. Repeats this cycle every couple of minutes. On the drive home (12 v power) the unit started working. Called my dealer and they are 2 month back-log to get me in. I know this is under warranty but i'm trying to get it fixed before our next trip (not until august).
    Bruce & Susana
    2021 GD Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0 w Tow Package

Originally posted by Boates View Post
    2021 GD Transcend Xplor 240ML (3 weeks old). Recent weekend trip the refrigerator stopped working. Lights are on but unit not cooling. You can hear the compressor (or unit) trying to click on for a second of two and then off. Repeats this cycle every couple of minutes. On the drive home (12 v power) the unit started working. Called my dealer and they are 2 month back-log to get me in. I know this is under warranty but i'm trying to get it fixed before our next trip (not until august).
    Good morning Boates, and welcome to the forum.

It is possible that when you're plugged into shore power your battery charger (converter) is not working and your battery voltage has dropped below the level needed to run the compressor. When you plugged into the tow vehicle and it started working again cements this theory.

Hopefully you have a volt meter. If so, disconnect from shore power and measure the battery voltage. Then plug your RV back into shore power and measure the battery voltage again. If there is no change, then the converter is the likely culprit. If so, we can help you walk through the repairs if need be.

BTW, here's a link to the forum welcome letter if you haven't seen it yet. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you Jim. I don't have a volt meter yet but i have a TT friend that has been helping me with this new life :-)
      Let me get with him and check this out and i'll let you know.
      I'll check out the new members link too and get that filled out.
      Thanks again.
      Bruce & Susana

Comment

Boates

The fridge in your unit is most likely only 12 v dc . As Jim has already helped you on the converter side I will just add to check to make sure the battery disconnect is in the correct position , pushed in and turn to the right to have battery power as well as charging from the converter , turned to the left and pulled out battery disconnected but not completely there are items that have battery power all of the time.

Brian
        Last edited by Country Campers; 06-21-2021, 11:26 AM. Reason: Removed
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Boates

The fridge in your unit is most likely only 12 v dc and propane. As Jim has already helped you on the converter side I will just add to check to make sure the battery disconnect is in the correct position , pushed in and turn to the right to have battery power as well as charging from the converter , turned to the left and pulled out battery disconnected but not completely there are items that have battery power all of the time.

Brian
          Good idea on the disconnect Brian. Just for clarification, the Furrion refrigerator in the Transcend product line is a 12V compressor refrigerator and does not use propane. According to the owner's manual, the refrigerator must have a minimum of 10.2 VDC in order to function.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thank you Brian i'll check that when i get in tonight.

bruce
            Bruce & Susana

Comment

That's correct Jim it does not use propane. I'll check the disconnect when i get in.

Thanks, bruce
              Bruce & Susana

Comment

brian, it was in the straight up position so this could very well be my problem. please confirm i always want this in the right turn position except when not using the TT for a length of time correct?
                i'm not able to test this until Wednesday when i get in from work and can let you know. many Thanks and im hoping this is it.
                Bruce & Susana

Comment

Boates Welcome to the Family and the forum!
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Boates View Post
                    brian, it was in the straight up position so this could very well be my problem. please confirm i always want this in the right turn position except when not using the TT for a length of time correct?
                    i'm not able to test this until Wednesday when i get in from work and can let you know. many Thanks and im hoping this is it.
                    Bruce
                    When the key is in the on position the key can't be removed. In the off position it can. I can't remember if up or to the side is on in my unit, but I just tug on the key to check. MY set up also requires me to push in on the key to get it to turn to the on position.

Hope this helps
                    Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Bruce

Keith answered your question above. I just to reiterate that when the battery switch is off , the handle can be removed , there are still items in the RV that are drawing power and will drain a battery in a week or less. To keep the battery from full discharge it is recommended to unhook either the positive or negative battery cables from the battery after the battery is fully charged and will be in storage for more than a week. If you have solar and outside storage the solar should keep the battery charged. If you do not have solar or do not have the RV plugged into shore power while in storage then I would suggest to remove the cables from the battery while in storage , this way you will have battery power when you get the RV from storage.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian and Keith

Thank you so much. The key was in the off position and i could easily remove it so i'm hoping this was the culprit (operator error and i'm glad for it). I can't test it with the fridge and shore power until tomorrow night when i get in.
                        Also, thank you for the tip on the battery and storage.

Glad to be on this forum and have some help as this has hopefully saved me a trip to the dealer "and" they had a 2 month backlog of service so i was possibly going to miss my August trip to the mountains of NC.

Thanks again
                        Bruce & Susana

Comment

Country Campers I too have experienced the same with my 2022 295RL and the Furrion 12v refrigerator. I have electronically monitored the fridge temp for 5 months - very inconsistent performance with wild temp swings and the freezer holding nothing frozen. Initially I thought it was the ambient air temp as anything above 85 degrees seemed to be an issue - so I resorted to keeping the AC unit on when away from the RV to 80 degrees. It seemed t work for a few weeks but then back to inconsistent performance.

Not until today did I come across this thread - and I am glad I did! After reading about the position of the battery disconnect switch I went out and looked - and sure enough it was in the off position and pulled out. I have been on shore power the entire 5 months and thought that the battery would have no impact on the fridge performance while on shore power. I plugged the key back in and turned in right - to the “ON” position. Immediately my 12v fridge began churning - and it has not stopped! Thanks for providing an answer!

I have read many other threads about Furrion 12v refrigerators and while some mention a loss of voltage in the battery, I did not understand the need to keep the battery disconnect switch in the “ON” position. Yet, the shut off circuitry built in to the Furrion 12v makes it necessary as it must read the proper level of battery voltage or it will shut down. I sure wish GD, Furrion (and my dealer General RV) would make the instructions more clear. I have had calls with all three and none of them suggested I check the battery disconnect.

I have owned a 40 ft diesel pusher and an Airstream and never had I had to think about a battery disconnect in relation to operating my refrigerator - on shore power or not.

I will continue to monitor the temp in the fridge but so far it looks and sounds like it is running as designed. Thanks again to all!
                          2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

This is all I found in the Furrion Owners Manual. No mention of the need to keep the battery disconnect switch in the “ON” position.

Operation

The appliance has a low-voltage shut-off function, intended to protect your RV battery’s from excessive drain.

NOTE: This function controls compressor operation only, a small electric current is still used for the LED cavity light and low-voltage monitoring system. Once voltage is increased, the system will automatically begin normal operation.

Read more: https://manuals.plus/furrion/12v-bui...#ixzz7dw4wkdNb

Battery Maintenance

Your refrigerator has an automatic shut-off switch, should the voltage drop below 9.6V at the terminal connection. This is to help prevent permanent damage to your batteries.

NOTE: Once voltage is re-established the refrigerator will begin working automatically per the setting of the dial. When possible maintain the float voltage listed on your battery. Solar is a good way to maintain battery voltage if a local power source is not available. Contact Furrion for further questions or options on Solar.

Read more: https://manuals.plus/furrion/12v-bui...#ixzz7dw4iYU8j
                            2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Rgg123 View Post
                              This is all I found in the Furrion Owners Manual. No mention of the need to keep the battery disconnect switch in the “ON” position.

Operation

The appliance has a low-voltage shut-off function, intended to protect your RV battery’s from excessive drain.

NOTE: This function controls compressor operation only, a small electric current is still used for the LED cavity light and low-voltage monitoring system. Once voltage is increased, the system will automatically begin normal operation.

Read more: https://manuals.plus/furrion/12v-bui...#ixzz7dw4wkdNb

Battery Maintenance

Your refrigerator has an automatic shut-off switch, should the voltage drop below 9.6V at the terminal connection. This is to help prevent permanent damage to your batteries.

NOTE: Once voltage is re-established the refrigerator will begin working automatically per the setting of the dial. When possible maintain the float voltage listed on your battery. Solar is a good way to maintain battery voltage if a local power source is not available. Contact Furrion for further questions or options on Solar.

Read more: https://manuals.plus/furrion/12v-bui...#ixzz7dw4iYU8j
                              Furrion would not include information about the disconnect switch because that is an option added by Grand Design. I've had other brands of RV's which don't include a disconnect switch.

In your Grand Design owners manual, it states the following:

"When you are ready to use your RV’s interior features: • REPLACE key, and TURN the Battery Disconnect Switch to the ON position.".

The refrigerator is one of those "interior features".

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Working...
                              X